Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Any plan to add support for Samsung 2015 Tizen TVs?

I see that currently there's only support for 2016 premium models.

Bought a new Samsung TV last year and already obsolete...
;- )=

Best Answers

• mattseeleymattseeley HawaiiMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,332 Plex Employee
    Accepted Answer

Hey, super question.

We've talked a lot about it. Ultimately we didn't want to take Rene's app away from its current users. His app has a long history on Samsung devices and many passionate users. We considered offering two different apps for 2015 TVs or combining into one app. Both were more complicated than we wanted to bite off.

Samsung took away the ability to side load apps which sadly demolished the most convenient workaround. :(

(Please no private messages for support unless requested, please)

Answers

• mattseeleymattseeley HawaiiMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,332 Plex Employee
    Accepted Answer

Hey, super question.

We've talked a lot about it. Ultimately we didn't want to take Rene's app away from its current users. His app has a long history on Samsung devices and many passionate users. We considered offering two different apps for 2015 TVs or combining into one app. Both were more complicated than we wanted to bite off.

Samsung took away the ability to side load apps which sadly demolished the most convenient workaround. :(

• pax0707pax0707 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 162 Plex Pass

As a lifetime supporter I'm very sad to hear that since upon hearing you're developing an official app for Tizen series I've expected it to be for 2015 too. My main died the week before Christmas so when that happens you don't really wait for the next get to come out, you buy what's available.
    :(

• mcpatonmcpaton Members Posts: 28 ✭✭

So is this a NO forever for the 2015 models?

• - NaDs- NaDs Members, Plex Pass Posts: 519 Plex Pass

I have a 2015 model with Samsung and use Orca's app.

I'm glad that the offical plex will not override it, tho I would of liked the ability to have them side by side.

Couldn't there be the option of just renaming them on the Samsung
    For example

Plex HD
    Plex

This way we could have the ability of both?

To add on the non side loading anymore of samsung which is quite a shame..

I have sucusefuly installed twitch with the following method.

https://m.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/46unro/getting_twitch_onto_a_2015_or_newer_samsung_tv/

Couldn't the same be done for Plex?

Thanks

If you haven't updated your TV past a certain you can still sideload.
    ;- )=

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 28,112 Plex Team Member

@pax0707 said:
    As a lifetime supporter I'm very sad to hear that since upon hearing you're developing an official app for Tizen series I've expected it to be for 2015 too. My main died the week before Christmas so when that happens you don't really wait for the next get to come out, you buy what's available.

>

There are many happy users with the existing app on the 2015 models and the app does support the 2015 tizen models in emulation mode. If you do have problems then there may be ways round them and there is a lot if help on the app forum . Sorry I have not checked your past posts to see what problems you had.

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

I'm using Orca's up it's not on par with official Plex apps like, no remote control, can't be used as remote player etc. TV remote is far from touchscreen in usability.

It works fine (beside having to do the Samsung dance once a week, give or take) but I was looking forward to an official one.

@pax0707 said:
    I'm using Orca's up it's not on par with official Plex apps like, no remote control, can't be used as remote player etc. TV remote is far from touchscreen in usability.

It works fine (beside having to do the Samsung dance once a week, give or take) but I was looking forward to an official one.

I believe it's better then the offical but each to their own

edited May 2016

You all hit the nail(s) on the head. It's complicated and folks are passionate on both sides.

Yep, this is an option. We did something similar for Roku. The legacy Roku app became Roku Classic and the new Plex big screen style app claimed the spot in the store as the Plex app. We could do similarly for Samsung but it introduces a lot of user frustration.

We have a lot of respect for Rene's work and the community of users that enjoy his app and supported his work. Being conservative and only launching the existing app on 2016s introduced the least change for our users.

Honestly I can't say for certain. We want to offer 2015 Tizen users the choice of apps. Although how and/or when this happens is undefined.

Plex classic and plex perfect idea!

I think having both the options on the Hub would make everyone happy

"Don't like the plex version use plex Classic"

I would love to be able to test and share bugs or suggestions to you guys from my 2015 model.

I think the new plex UI has a lot of potential and would bring HD to the app (Something that is missing in Orca's version)

@NaDs01 said:

I would love to be able to test and share bugs or suggestions to you guys from my 2015 model.

I think the new plex UI has a lot of potential and would bring HD to the app (Something that is missing in Orca's version)

Exactly what he said!

• mcpatonmcpaton Members Posts: 28 ✭✭

@pax0707 said:

@NaDs01 said:

Exactly what he said!

+1

• richarddc79richarddc79 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 166 Plex Pass

@mattseeley said:
    You all hit the nail(s) on the head. It's complicated and folks are passionate on both sides.

Yep, this is an option. We did something similar for Roku. The legacy Roku app became Roku Classic and the new Plex big screen style app claimed the spot in the store as the Plex app. We could do similarly for Samsung but it introduces a lot of user frustration.

We have a lot of respect for Rene's work and the community of users that enjoy his app and supported his work. Being conservative and only launching the existing app on 2016s introduced the least change for our users.

Honestly I can't say for certain. We want to offer 2015 Tizen users the choice of apps. Although how and/or when this happens is undefined.

I have been looking and it appears that currently you are only supporting the 2016 "premium" models, however these are rather expenses, will you be supporting the 2016 "budget" models as and when they come out, I ask as I will be buying a new TV this year, and don't particularly want to pay £1500.

Lenovo M58p Core 2 Duo Windows 10 (Plex Server + NAS - 4TB Movies + TV shows)
    HP Laptop core i5 (secondary Plex Server testing Hardware transcoding)
    Xbox One S
    Fire TV stick gen 1
    Chromecast gen 2 wired ethernet x 1
    Chromecast gen 1 x 2
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 7
    iPad Mini
    iPod touch
    Fire kids tablet

• SambaDromeSambaDrome Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,730 Plex Pass
    edited May 2016

@richarddc79 said:

@mattseeley said:

I have been looking and it appears that currently you are only supporting the 2016 "premium" models, however these are rather expenses, will you be supporting the 2016 "budget" models as and when they come out, I ask as I will be buying a new TV this year, and don't particularly want to pay £1500.

According to a post from Orca it's allegedly currently being tested for non premium models.
    *Having copy/paste issues today so I cannot link. But the post is** Player for 2016 Samsung TV's
    **Obviously in the Samsung section. I'm sure Matt will confirm or deny this either way.
    :)

CouchPotato, Sonarr, PMP, PlexPy, Plex Requests & Harmony Remote... The ultimate media heaven combo.

• sdjmesdjme Members, Plex Pass Posts: 662 Plex Pass

Hopefully Plex will give us 2015 Samsung TV owners the option of using the apps. Renaming Orca's app to enable this doesn't take away from all of his excellent work, but provides your userbase with options.

Yep. Samsung QA is currently reviewing our app for all 2016 TVs. Sorry, I don't know when it'll be available in the Samsung app store.

• WiidesireWiidesire Members, Plex Pass Posts: 520 Plex Pass

@mattseeley said:
    Yep. Samsung QA is currently reviewing our app for all 2016 TVs. Sorry, I don't know when it'll be available in the Samsung app store.

Will that include the (16AV_BD) UBD-K8500 (Ultra HD Blu-ray Player)?

• jeffdoeringjeffdoering Members, Plex Pass Posts: 11 Plex Pass

Non-official should be non-official; I'm disappointed to see Plex use existence of that as an excuse to not support Samsung pre-2016 first-class (yet anyway).

• WiidesireWiidesire Members, Plex Pass Posts: 520 Plex Pass
    edited May 2016

@jeffdoering said:
    Non-official should be non-official; I'm disappointed to see Plex use existence of that as an excuse to not support Samsung pre-2016 first-class (yet anyway).

Was that answer directed to me?

The UBD-K8500 was released in March 2016. That's why I was asking. @mattseeley said their app is reviewed for all 2016 Samsung TVs. So I'd like to know if the 2016 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player is part of that.

• danksterdankster Members, Plex Pass Posts: 34 Plex Pass

I am a 2015 J model Plex Pass user and i support the need for a PLEX developed & Orca developed PLEX app for the 2015 models. Please make it happen.