If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Any plan to add support for Samsung 2015 Tizen TVs?

Answers

• PorthozPorthoz Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Like most people said, definitely would want both apps. Change Orca's to whichever name you feel necessary, but offering it to Plex Pass members really isn't beyond the realm of possibilities...

P.S. I haven't seen the Official version yet, but it will take a lot for me to swap from Orca's excellent app!

• danieldenidanieldeni Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 for a Plex Classic and Plex (PMP) version. Would love to have PMP on my 48J6200, when I bought this two months ago, it was the highest model available with FullHD, as I didn't want 4K in the bedroom... Also have a Chromecast, but the quality is **** compared to PMP or the current available Plex for Tizen 2015. Also, with the official app, I can also use my Windows 10 (Mobile) devices to cast/control, which with Chromecast is not possible.

• freakinsidefreakinside Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I would love to have the chance to use both apps on my 2015 samsung tv. Want to test the new app and then decide which one to use.

• CreativeAntoCreativeAnto Posts: 12Members ✭✭

I 100% agree.... we should at least have a choice... :)

• YakigatoNijiYakigatoNiji Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

First, I never really got to experience the official Plex experience on a large screen TV. While I love the current Plex app, how can I tell if this is the best possible experience if I have nothing to compare against?

On the more... financial side of things, I have just recently bought a JU6800 series tv and honestly. I feel somewhat ripped off knowing that if I would have waited just two extra months, I might have access to that new app.

For those reasons, I am all onto having the choice between both apps.

• sdjmesdjme Posts: 665Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

And no response from devs... No real explanation as to their reasoning for only supporting 2016.

• JusticeLeagueJusticeLeague Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I would love to have the new app fore My 2015 Samsung TV

• aaronharstineaaronharstine Posts: 105Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So I have a 2016 Samsung smart TV UN60JU7090 but only have access to the old app. I would love to have the new app because I have audio issues with the arc capability on my av receiver on the unofficial app so I use an Android TV (Nexus player) which just increases the complexity of my system with another remote. Can I at least get the official app on my 2016 TV please !!!!

• JonoHJonoH Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

we are still waiting? this 5 second fix hasn't been taken care of yet?

• Toby GrovesToby Groves Posts: 80Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@pax0707 said:
    Looks like a decent number bought Samsung smart TV in 2015.
    ;- )=

It's worse than that as many 2016 models haven't been released until very recently. I bought a 2015 model two months ago and, at that time, it was a current model.

• robertb1969robertb1969 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I find your whole reasoning for not providing the official (Tizen) version of Plex on 2015 Tizen TVs confusing to say the least.

You are not giving 2016 owners a choice from what I understand (ie. they will only get access to the official app) and some of these people may have upgraded from older Samsung TVs and are familiar with the older (Orca) app. So why not just upgrade the app on Tizen 2015 TVs and be done with it. An official app that is not running in an emulation mode (the old Orca app does this on the Tizen OS) with the full set of features has to be the better option. The official app is also likely to be upgraded and enhanced on a more regular basis than Orca’s app.

No disrespect to Orca as I have used his app for years and have greatly appreciated his efforts. The people with pre-2015 Samsung TVs I am sure will continue to use and love his app. But for people who have a 2015, 2016 TV with the Tizen OS the official app should be the one to use.

• lusitopplusitopp Posts: 68Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

maybe a stupid question but how do i know which version i am using? now i have a 2015 samsung, so i know im not using the official app. but how do i see this if Plex will create an official for the 2015 TVs?

• Markus & EddaMarkus & Edda Posts: 257Members, Plex Pass, TunerTester Plex Pass

Just cancelled my Plex Pass.

Thanks for nothing Plex Team...

• Mads LeragerMads Lerager Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I can't see the point in obstructing a new app release that supports HD because a lot of people like the old non HD supporting app? At least rename the old to classic if it's such an issue?

• SambaDromeSambaDrome Posts: 1,730Members ✭✭✭

@aaronharstine said:
    So I have a 2016 Samsung smart TV UN60JU7090 but only have access to the old app. I would love to have the new app because I have audio issues with the arc capability on my av receiver on the unofficial app so I use an Android TV (Nexus player) which just increases the complexity of my system with another remote. Can I at least get the official app on my 2016 TV please !!!!

Not that it alters things but Is that a typo on your model number? If not then you actually have a 2015 model
    2016 = K
    2015 = J
    2014 = H
    2013 = F
    2012 = E
    http://en.tab-tv.com/?page_id=7123

CouchPotato, Sonarr, PMP, PlexPy, Plex Requests & Harmony Remote... The ultimate media heaven combo.

• Toby GrovesToby Groves Posts: 80Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Orca said:
    Now If you think you need to cancel your Plexpass based on this decision, then I can take some conclusions myself. You have had an app for many years, for free, but that doesn't satisfy you anymore because there is something new "and I need to have that". That's not only childish but also disrespectful.

As I understand it, Plex never produced a Samsung app and instead left it to you to fill the void. Now they've finally stepped in to remedy the situation and produce their own app, they've taken a spurious decision not to support 2015 Tizen models for no valid reason.

Personally I think pass subscribers are perfectly justified in feeling aggrieved over this and have every right to vote with their wallets.

Don't get me wrong, your efforts have been fantastic and valued by many but shouldn't have been required in the first place. Personally I can't use your app as it won't connect to my PMS over a secure connection.

• robertb1969robertb1969 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Orca, I agree with the newer isn’t always better philosophy and agree there will be plenty of teething issues initially with the official app. Eventually, though this period will end and hopefully the official app will provide a good experience. When this happens you have then singled people out who have purchased a 2015 Tizen TV to not receive the newer app. Do you see yourself eventually providing a native Tizen version of your app for 2015 Tizen TV owners?

Heading forward as people with older model TVs upgrade, Tizen will become more and more prevalent and the official app will be the app to use but people with 2015 Tizen TVs are sitting in a very frustrating position where their TV would run the official app but it is not provided.

As I state in my previous post I have used your app for many years and greatly admire and appreciate your effort. I think the best answer for all would be the two names for the different app versions if you want to keep the best experience. Then 2016 Tizen owners could also have the choice of app as they may/will find the same period of frustration as the new app is sorted.