If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Any plan to add support for Samsung 2015 Tizen TVs?

Answers

• zenmodzenmod Posts: 34Members ✭✭

Does not make ANY sense to do not support 2015 models. Shame ! Shame! Shame!

• thesutexthesutex Posts: 5Members ✭✭

I stopped using plex because of this decision...

• jeffdoeringjeffdoering Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Bummer; the thread seems to go nowhere. I want an official Plex app. That's it. Unofficial app should not block that based on some arbitrary date line when the smart tv hardware is the same or vague references to how the two apps should be named in the Samsung App store. The unofficial app being awesome, appreciated, long-lived is completely separate from wanting a clear commitment from the company that actually gets money for Plex Passes.

If the unofficial app is better; maybe I'll use it instead (BTW it sucks right now on my 2014 Samsung due to audio sync issues, maybe it's a content problem, maybe a TV problem, maybe a new One Connect box will fix the issue - but I can't complain to Plex regardless because it's an unofficial app - but buying a new non-4K Apple TV would be better because WAF is horrible with the out-of-sync audio). But an officially support option should be available. I don't want to buy the new One Connect 2015 hardware without clarity on whether or not Plex will directly support it first-class.

-Jeff

• ramishkaramishka Posts: 11Members ✭✭

Reverted my decision to buy Plex pass because of this decision.

The software supports it. The hardware is capable of running it. And yet you choose not to support one year old TV models from having the official app. I have no qualms with the current app except for one minor bug, however the fact that you guys do not give us the choice to choose between official and non official apps is quite worrying.

• aptalcaaptalca Posts: 281Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 2016

Guys, you should be glad that there is A plex version for your TVs. I just bought a 2016 (UN55KU6600) and there is no plex for it. I repeat, NO plex, old or new, it sucks

• p0rt3r_p0rt3r_ Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Orca, do not pay attention to these Beverly Hillbillies getting out of Plex Pass because no new version. Instead of letting us have the new one, could you please try to change ONLY the UI so it gets more polished? This is just about the only reason I wanted the new version otherwise the current one on JS8500 just works fine from my point of view.

Comments for anyone criticising Plex decision on this topic:

-I have a MacBook Pro Early 2015 and it struggles playing H.265 movies. Every time. Orca coded Plex client on JS8500 plays them all the time. H.265 / H.264 all in Direct Play so I do not have to transcode.

-The MacBook is simply incapable playing 4k (any format, any codec) content because of Processor bottleneck / GPU bottleneck. Orca coded client does this on a 4core TV processor: 4k and/or H.265 content without a glitch.

The UI I never liked really but that's something that can be changed easily. I hope Orca will adjust it as I asked him nicely :)

• chriskeenschriskeens Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@p0rt3r_ said:
    Orca, do not pay attention to these Beverly Hillbillies getting out of Plex Pass because no new version. Instead of letting us have the new one, could you please try to change ONLY the UI so it gets more polished? This is just about the only reason I wanted the new version otherwise the current one on JS8500 just works fine from my point of view.

I agree with this entirely. The UI on the unofficial app looks outdated compared to the official app (I particularly don't like the text overlays over movie posters), however the app itself works flawlessly for me. It would be fantastic if Orca's version could be updated with the new UI.

• RepsacdkRepsacdk Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 for official app.

I very much admire all the work by Orca. But now it seems the ego of one man is keeping everyone from getting the official app. Can you please just hire Orca and integrate his stuff in the official app and everyone can go home happy?

• zdolzdol Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@p0rt3r_ said:

-I have a MacBook Pro Early 2015 and it struggles playing H.265 movies. Every time. Orca coded Plex client on JS8500 plays them all the time. H.265 / H.264 all in Direct Play so I do not have to transcode.

-The MacBook is simply incapable playing 4k (any format, any codec) content because of Processor bottleneck / GPU bottleneck. Orca coded client does this on a 4core TV processor: 4k and/or H.265 content without a glitch.

The UI I never liked really but that's something that can be changed easily. I hope Orca will adjust it as I asked him nicely :)

If your 2015 Macbook Pro struggles to play H.265 movies you are doing something wrong. Try another player. Are you transcoding? Why? Also your Macbook Pro should playback 4K (at least H.264) files, although output via HDMI is kinda limited (24p, i think.) I have older Macs that do play such movies without a glitch. If you try some 4K H.265 HDR file, well, you might fail, cause - guess what - there is no gpu accelerated decoding for such things on Macbooks. So, no such situation as a GPU bottleneck for such a case - CPU totally.

It all boils down to this: it's your TV that has built-in hardware support for the codecs you mention, I don't think Orca wrote some special decoder for such codecs for his Plex client; he simply leverages the capabilities the TV has out of the box, that's why for the same app different models support different codecs. Your model supports pretty much anything.

Finally, the UI will not change, anytime soon at least. Orca has stated that clearly in other forum posts.

So, please don't call people who want an official client for a TV they may have bought less than a year ago "Beverly Hillbillies" cause in your post you sound kinda ignorant.

It remains a fact that for so many years the development of the app for Samsung (probably the biggest TV manufacturer in terms of sales) has been left to a single person outside the Plex team. Orca has done a superfine job, we are all grateful. You should not ask him to change the UI, you should ask the Plex team to release the new version for your TV.

Personally I'd stick with Orca's version. It's old-skool, geekier, but it has every setting one could want. Until the official client beats that, I'm fine with it.

• poisikepoisike Posts: 5Members ✭✭

@mattseeley said:
    Hey, super question.

We've talked a lot about it. Ultimately we didn't want to take Rene's app away from its current users. His app has a long history on Samsung devices and many passionate users. We considered offering two different apps for 2015 TVs or combining into one app. Both were more complicated than we wanted to bite off.

Samsung took away the ability to side load apps which sadly demolished the most convenient workaround. :(

About the most convenient workaround... Not all of us have updated past the point of no return. I and probably many other can still sideload apps, so why haven't You posted the new app (.wgt?) for us? Can You do this please?

• thetide37thetide37 Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 2016

@poisike said:

@mattseeley said:
    Hey, super question.

We've talked a lot about it. Ultimately we didn't want to take Rene's app away from its current users. His app has a long history on Samsung devices and many passionate users. We considered offering two different apps for 2015 TVs or combining into one app. Both were more complicated than we wanted to bite off.

Samsung took away the ability to side load apps which sadly demolished the most convenient workaround. :(

About the most convenient workaround... Not all of us have updated past the point of no return. I and probably many other can still sideload apps, so why haven't You posted the new app (.wgt?) for us? Can You do this please?

You can also count me in as one of those "many others." I also haven't updated our 2015 Samsung 4k TV because of this very reason of losing all app sideloading functionality after the "update." We've had a few verrry close calls (knock on wood) and almost accidentally accepted a random popup request on the tv to update to the newest Samsung firmware, but luckily I was nearby when my son hollered for me for help when the surprise popup update request appeared on the screen.

• poisikepoisike Posts: 5Members ✭✭

@jsdecker10 said:

@poisike said:

@mattseeley said:
    Hey, super question.

You can also count me in as one of those "many others." I also haven't updated our 2015 Samsung 4k TV because of this very reason of losing all app sideloading functionality after the "update." We've had a few verrry close calls (knock on wood) and almost accidentally accepted a random popup request on the tv to update to the newest Samsung firmware, but luckily I was nearby when my son hollered for me for help when the surprise popup update request appeared on the screen.

I have Samsung update server blocked in router. I suggest you do the same if you can. Samsung regularly pushes updates even if you have set automatic updates to off. As far as i know, this is actually illegal, but it seems Samsung doesn't care.

Block samsungotn.net and all of it's subdomains.

• HerrHorstHerrHorst Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

All I'm missing on the current app is the remote play feature. If i remember right it wasn't possible.
    A possible workaround would be, if Plex could work as a DLNA Controller which would make me very happy since owning some Wlan Speakers where you can't install any apps.

• p0rt3r_p0rt3r_ Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2016

I think Orca was not prepared for Plex taking over Tizen development. I read some of his posts and he clearly treats this client as his baby which I completely understand. When you create something you hold on to it its human nature.

Give this some time, evolution always finds its ways. And go ez on developers - we couldnt code a client like hey do.

• dent^dent^ Posts: 92Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

still nothing right? :(

• kodlzkodlz Posts: 15Members ✭✭

@thesutex said:
    I stopped using plex because of this decision...

Are you using any other app?

• Ollie78Ollie78 Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1
    I have to say I'm surprised and disappointed to hear Plex's attitude in this issue. To lean on a single, external developer with excuse to disrupt current user base just ins't a valid argument and quite frankly seems more based on convenience than reason. Everyone agrees Orca has done a great job but the app is showing signs of being a one man band without support from Plex core development. It has lately been unstable (I couldn't even get it to start up for several days), has the well known remote control issues and does not scale at all to large screens (mine is 65" and it looks smeared and pixelated).
    I looked through the comments in the Samsung app forum and this does not seem like a serious and professional way of supporting your customers. The developer threatening to quit, quarrels with Samsung, pleads to retain customers form posting on Facebook, etc, it just doesn't seem sustainable.
    Like many people in this thread I'm a Plex Pass customer. I bought a premium TV with the latest OS just to be able to get optimal versions of apps. I don't think we as customers should have to be in a situation where we have to beg for an official app just because our model year happened to be 2015.

• edrikkgedrikkg Posts: 50Members ✭✭

Yup exactly!
    Give people choice and nobody will be upset.

• SambaDromeSambaDrome Posts: 1,730Members ✭✭✭

@Ollie78 said:
    +1
    I have to say I'm surprised and disappointed to hear Plex's attitude in this issue. To lean on a single, external developer with excuse to disrupt current user base.

Congratulations on your entry for stupidest comment of 2017.

CouchPotato, Sonarr, PMP, PlexPy, Plex Requests & Harmony Remote... The ultimate media heaven combo.

• faz17faz17 Posts: 17Members Plex Pass

Any news for an official app? I've problem with direct play for content stored in the cloud. No problem on old tv with Orsay or with other official app on other devices (iOS, ps4). Only with 2015 model and i think and hope that with official app i resolve my problem.