Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Extras Missing Artwork

Soto928Soto928 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

I just installed a fresh PMS and when adding extras, none of the videos have images associated with them. On my old server, it would have an image screenshot of somewhere in the clip. Is there anyway to force this to refresh, or add my own custom images to them? I have already updated libraries and refreshed all from the movies library.

Best Answers

Answers

• kcsokcso Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Freebase is being shut down. From what I've seen, extras and trailers are no longer available.

• Soto928Soto928 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

These are local trailers I have added. I am not a PlexPass member. I put these into the Local Media folders (ex /Movies/Name (Year)/Trailers/example.ext). This way we can add our own local behind the scenes and extras such as trailers. Before it would have an actual thumbnail (like yesterday before the server was rebuilt) and now it just shows the gray placeholder image.

• onjisanonjisan Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

Hi Soto928. Did you ever resolve this? Having the same issues with local media extra content.

• maxflixmaxflix Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 164 Plex Employee

Hey @soto928 and @onjisan -

Can you each post or DM me the XML information for a movie that isn't showing images for local extras?

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201998867-Investigate-Media-Information-and-Formats - look for XML Information on this page for further instructions.

edited June 2016

Hi @maxflix,

Thanks for replying quickly. There doesn't really appear to be a way to obtain the xml info for these extras specifically, but i'm attaching the xml for one of the movies itself.

Here's an example for the issue I'm having which is similar to soto. (image attached)

I created a 'Featurette' folder within the Movie's directory according to your local media assets page: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200220677-Local-Media-Assets-Movies

my path is following this example: Movie/MovieName (Release Date)/Extra_Directory_Type/

My actual path:
    "Movies\The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey (2012)\Featurettes\The Appendices Part 7 - A Long-Expected Journey The Chronicles of The Hobbit.mp4"

Its detecting them fine, but not generating any images. I'd be fine with it generating any image at all kind of like how home videos work.
    I also tried to use my own image file in the Featurettes directory with the same name...jpg but it didnt work.

I have also tried putting the video itself back a drectory and appending -Extra_Type to it.
    example:
    Movies\The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey (2012)\The Appendices Part 7 - A Long-Expected Journey The Chronicles of The Hobbit-featurette.mp4
    That was a no go as well.

I have also used other extra type categories such as behindthescenes to no avail.

thanks

Hi @maxflix,

Just curious if you had any findings on this. If you haven't had time, its fine.
    thanks

edited August 11

Hello. Its over a year later and I wanted to post an update to this. I recently found out how to get the artwork to show, and its dumb but it works.
    You just have to PLAY the extras. Yes that's it. You don't even have to watch the whole thing. Just click play, then you can close immediately out, and the artwork will show.
    ....ugh