Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

State of the PS3

kay.onekay.one Plex Engineer Vancouver, CanadaMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 331 Plex Employee
edited October 2016 in PlayStation

We know PS3's slowness has got you down, and we are really sorry! Trust us when we say we haven't been ignoring you; We have been working hard on PS3 and PS4 to improve things as much as possible.

Here is the what we know, and we want to share with you,

What's happening?

PlayStation 3 has very little memory and makes even less of it available to us. When the app runs out of memory it starts paging to disk (It means the data from faster RAM is being moved to much slower Hard Disk. You can literally see the PS doing this because there is little orange light on the front of the device that starts blinking or just lights up, that's the HDD activity indicator) this causes the app to become extremely unresponsive and freeze at times.

What are we going to do about it?

1. We are preparing a release that cuts down on the eye-candy and limits the amount of data that gets processed by the app, This should be released fairly soon and should help improve the situation. (Done. See update 1 below)

2. We are also preparing a platform update for PS3, this will bring PS3 to use the latest SDK that gives us a bit more RAM and also should be more efficient with the RAM we already have, This will take a bit longer since it needs to get tested on our side and then submitted to Sony for approval.

What does this mean for PS3 long term:

We have no plans to abandon or drop support for PS3. _However _ I think it's important to set the correct expectation. The PS3 was released ~10 years ago (1 year before the original iPhone!) and has proven very challenging to support. We'll do our best to support the device to the best of its capabilities while focusing on maintaining a stable experience. New Plex features will be introduced less frequently than on the PS4 and other modern devices.

Update 1 (June 2nd, 2016):

We just deployed the cut-down version of the PS3 app (2.6.5), restarting the app should give you the newer version.

Keep in mind even though this should improve the situation it's not a fix, we have more changes coming, especially in the platform update which should hopefully resolve this issue,

Few things that we have changed that you might be interested in:

• Companion (being able to control the APP using your mobile phone) is now disabled by default for PS3 since it was too resource consuming, if you use it you can still enable it in Settings > Main > Companion Player

• Make sure network logging is disabled in Settings > Privacy > Log to Media Server unless you are trying to report an issue and disable it as long as you have the logs you need

Comments

• Stewie GriffinStewie Griffin Members, Plex Pass Posts: 233 Plex Pass

Will this platform update finally support full 1080p playback or is the PS3 doomed to stick with 720 until the end of time?

• DavidIrwinDavidIrwin Members, Plex Pass Posts: 392 Plex Pass

Thank you for the detailed information and update.

Dave
    My opinions are my own. Not all advice will be accurate - I make mistakes!

PMS 1.6.1 (unRAID/Docker), PlexApp ß for iOS 4.12 (iPad mini & iPhone 6), Plex for Roku3 4.4.2, PMP on Windows 1.3.1

• kay.onekay.one Plex Engineer Vancouver, CanadaMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 331 Plex Employee
    edited May 2016

@Stewie Griffin said:
    Will this platform update finally support full 1080p playback

To be honest that's not something I know yet. We'll have to see what kind of memory pressure 1080p streams will have on PS3.

Our current focus is to get the #1 step done and have an update for the current platform that makes PS3 usable.

• DeruGuyDeruGuy Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

I noticed I cant access my Channels on the Plex app on PS3, but I can with PS4, Amazon FireTV, and Android.

I am having similiar issues as kay.one with Plex on PS3.

Primary PMS: Windows 7 SP1 64-bit. running on AMD Phenom II X6 1035T Processor @ 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM.
    Media Storage: Plex: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD, Media: Sever regular spinning AV-class HDD's

Network:
    WAN Connection: 10M/2M (business class service with static IPs and no bandwidth cap)
    Router: Custom-built PC running pfSense on Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.0 GHz, 1GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 3x Dual Gigabit port Intel PRO/1000 Server NIC PCI Adapter, Serial GPS receiver for NTP time keeping
    Network Equipment: 1x Dell PowerConnect 5224 (24 port Gigabit switch), 1x ASUS RT-N66U (access point mode, 2.4GHz + 5GHz WiFi, home network), Linksys E2000 running DD-WRT on 5GHz WiFi only (access point mode, home network), Engenius ENS202EXT (access point mode, guest network)

Desktop Clients: 3x Windows, 1x Amazon FireTV, 2x PS3
    Mobile Clients: 1x Samsung Galaxy S5, 1x Samsung Galaxy S6, 1x Apple iPad
    Remote Users: 2

• Stewie GriffinStewie Griffin Members, Plex Pass Posts: 233 Plex Pass

@kay.one said:

@Stewie Griffin said:
    Will this platform update finally support full 1080p playback

To be honest that's not something I know yet. We'll have to see what kind of memory pressure 1080p streams will have on PS3.

Our current focus is to get the #1 step done and have an update for the current platform that makes PS3 usable.

Thank you for giving such an honest answer.

• hebmanhebman Members Posts: 2

Cool, will you post an update here when one is ready?

• hebmanhebman Members Posts: 2

Also, I have an Xbox 360 and it works like a dream on there, thanks!

• kay.onekay.one Plex Engineer Vancouver, CanadaMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 331 Plex Employee

@hebman said:
    Cool, will you post an update here when one is ready?

Yes, we will update this post when we have more informantion

• marcpeasemarcpease Members Posts: 1

Thank you for the candid information and responses. Obviously there's only so much you can do within a set of hardware constraints.

Will either of these updates enable the Plex app for PS3 to fast-forward and rewind, like we can with the Plex app on other platforms? Right now, when watching a movie on my local network (hard-wired gigabit) -- I hit rewind, wait 10-15 seconds, and see that video has moved back maybe 30 seconds (or less). I hit rewind again, and the same things happens. At that rate, I will never be able to rewind to the beginning of a movie, or fast-forward to somewhere in the middle.

Works awesome in the Roku 4!

• rndrummondrndrummond Members, Plex Pass Posts: 39 Plex Pass

Thanks for the update - I think removing features like background images and anything else not needed for functionality are all a good idea or perhaps offer a 'basic' theme as an option

@rndrummond said:
    Thanks for the update - I think removing features like background images and anything else not needed for functionality are all a good idea or perhaps offer a 'basic' theme as an option

That's exactly the route we are going.

• widlanwidlan Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

I'll be happy if you are able to at least keep boxset and description and the fact to indicate if the movie is seen or not. Thanks for your work.

First part of our fix is out, see the first post for update details.

• markcurrancavanmarkcurrancavan Members, Plex Pass Posts: 14 Plex Pass

Much much much better, THANK YOU. Running lightning fast compared to 2.6.3.

• cjlacassecjlacasse Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

I can use it again! And to think, I almost spent $100 I didn't have on a FireTV today. But I struggled with the decision because my PS3 does everything else so well and is perfect for the bedroom so I'm not quite ready to retire it yet. Fortunately, Xbox One runs the living room so I'm not stuck in 2006 there. I know PS3 support has to end sometime but thanks for the functional stopgap solution until the permanent fixes roll out. Long live Plex!

• widlanwidlan Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

Thanks a lot for your work. I love my PS3 and Plex and I'll be able to use it again... I just miss filters options and mostly the ability to go to a subsection (for example recently added) and browse movies descriptions with next/previous button.

About the Privacy > Log to Media Server, I don't find this setting. Is it on the web page in settings (web or server section) or on the PS3 app?

@widlan said:
    About the Privacy > Log to Media Server, I don't find this setting. Is it on the web page in settings (web or server section) or on the PS3 app?

It's on PS3 app settings, from the user drop down on the dashboard, go to settings > privacy.

• NGMitchells16NGMitchells16 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 43 Plex Pass

@DeruGuy said:
    I noticed I cant access my Channels on the Plex app on PS3, but I can with . . .

I'm having the same issues with my PS3, which is the only (non-mobile) device we have upstairs - so we have to take our macbook upstairs every time we wish to watch Plex channels

• mattseeleymattseeley HawaiiMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,324 Plex Employee

The PS3 wasn't capable of playing channel content when we tested it. We'll check again during this next release.

(Please no private messages for support unless requested, please)

• burner69burner69 Members Posts: 3 ✭✭

great stuff on making the app more useable but would it be possible to return the functionality to be able to sort the content by date added?

This discussion has been closed.