If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Alternate directory for Optimized files

toddcoptoddcop Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

My media is housed on a NAS, but I'd like to store the optimized versions of the files on a local hard drive on my Plex server. Is that possible? I can't find an option for it in the server config, and the directory option when optimizing a file is only the same directory where the file is housed, or the root directory on the NAS.

Best Answer

Answers

  • toddcoptoddcop Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Thank you!

  • speedyflipperspeedyflipper Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 2016

    I know this is old but I have it set so the on deck is always optimized but no folder options are available besides "in folders". I added the option to the TV library which is where all of the deck items are but i understand why that wouldn't work also.

    Is there any way for me to have the optimized in one folder?

  • OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 29,609Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited October 2016

    @speedyflipper said:
    Is there any way for me to have the optimized in one folder?

    No, this is not possible. You must strictly separate movies and tv shows into separate folders.
    This also applies to optimized versions.
    If you must, you can use subfolders.

    \optimized
       \movies <-- add this folder to the movies library
       \series <-- add this folder to the tv shows library
    
    Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • hcmiller51hcmiller51 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @OttoKerner said:

    @speedyflipper said:
    Is there any way for me to have the optimized in one folder?

    No, this is not possible. You must strictly separate movies and tv shows into separate folders.
    This also applies to optimized versions.
    If you must, you can use subfolders.

    \optimized
       \movies <-- add this folder to the movies library
       \series <-- add this folder to the tv shows library
    

    this looks like command line? can you enplane newbie here

  • OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 29,609Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

    @hcmiller51 said:
    this looks like command line? can you enplane newbie here

    No, this is just meant to illustrate the folder hierachy.
    Ìn this case are movies and series both subfolders of optimzed

    Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • niskruseniskruse Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    HI,
    SO now I can choose where to save the optimised version each time I chose to optimise.
    But when i ask for a sync directly from my ipad, I cannot get this option?

    How to change the default optimised directory?

    Thanks:)

  • OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 29,609Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

    @niskruse said:
    SO now I can choose where to save the optimised version each time I chose to optimise.
    But when i ask for a sync directly from my ipad, I cannot get this option?

    How to change the default optimised directory?

    Once the sync is done, the optimised copy only exists on your iPad.
    What do you want to redirect?

    Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
Sign In or Register to comment.