Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Media Server connecting to remote IP

dplusccdpluscc Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Hello! When booting up, Plex attempts to connect to serval different IP addresses.. Little snitch reports some as plex.tv, which I don't mind letting through. Others, however, are to just IP addresses that I can't find any information on who they are. For example, 45.79.10.123 or 45.79.198.112 on port 443.

Does anyone know who or what these connections are? Are there a list of what addresses I need to allow through? Thanks!

Answers

• diathesisdiathesis Members, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass
    edited December 2016

Yeah, totally agree -- would prefer to understand what these connections are and why they're necessary.

On my Plex Media Server, on startup, I saw:

• 54.194.240.140 (apparently a Microsoft IP?)
    • 157.55.138.32 (an Amazon IP?)
    • 184.105.148.84 (Hurricane Electric? Huh?)

Plus some named sites. Those I'm mostly fine with. But what are all of the above ones, and why by ip# instead of by ip name, which would give some context? It's way more than most of the other apps and services I start up.

• drjoeldrjoel Members Posts: 1

I couldn't agree more. As much as I enjoy Plex, I will continue to block all of these accesses until there's an explanation given (and is an 8-month wait for an answer someone's idea of Support? The answer ought not be difficult.)

Nothing seems to get upset by the blocking?

Almost severe enough to file as a defect; this isn't even like Plex is "phoning home", it's more like it's establishing a party line.

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 26,525 Plex Team Member
    edited February 12

There are geographically aligned servers that are used for checking remote access connectivity and establishing if internet is available and for companion / control of players - they are referred as pubsub servers

You can get a list of the pubsub servers through https://plex.tv/services/pubsub/servers
    They are part of the Plex infrastructure

Plex Media Server also connects to external services for matching metadata and to register security certificates and there are systems for testing connectivity to your server when remote access is enabled

There are also the Plex Relay servers which are used when Remote Access is enabled and the direct route to the server is not working

Ah, that's helpful, thanks! Would be nice if they had DNS names -- "pubsub1.plex.tv" for people who care about network connections, but at least I know what it's for now.

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 26,525 Plex Team Member

@diathesis said:
    Ah, that's helpful, thanks! Would be nice if they had DNS names -- "pubsub1.plex.tv" for people who care about network connections, but at least I know what it's for now.

I will ask. It may be because they get changed frequently

• casperghst42casperghst42 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 24 Plex Pass

Look like the https://plex.tv/services/pubsub/servers does not contain all the server, I discovered:
    139.162.144.200 (li1411-200.members.linode.com)

That url gives the current set of servers. Plex Media Server sticks to using the one it used before until there is a connection issue or faster connections found, in which case it would switch to the fastest response time server from the list from that url request.

So it is possible that this other server was on that list before