Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex for Opera TV on Sony Bravia, SRT transcode

I have the latest PMS on Ubuntu and my client is a KDL32W705C with Opera TV. If I have a movie that direct plays, and I have "external" SRT subtitiles (that is, a separate file in the movie folder) is the client still direct playing or does it need to transcode? I know some clients direct play SRT subtitles, but another question is: does it work also for SRT embedded in the mkv file?

Best Answer

Answers

• zpaolo11xzpaolo11x Posts: 965 ✭✭✭

Thank you @mattseeley, good to know. Do you know if other clients that don't burn in SRT subtitles works for external and embedded SRTs?

• ivancastellivancastell Posts: 10 ✭✭

Any plans to implement that feature in the app's player? I was wondering exactly the same thing here. The TV is capable of direct play internal srt in a mkv container via Plex DLNA and avoid transcoding.

Or if that's not possible, maybe an option to use internal sony player instead of the Plex app?

@mattseeley said:

The Plex app will always for a movie to transcode to burn in the subtitles on your Opera TV.

Hey, the opera tv app is afaik a webpage player, and in a computer, the plex web version can playback almost all movies with embedded subtitles in srt without transcoding. Is this a limitation of the Opera TV (Bravia) implementation or something we can do or tweak on our side to say to the opera tv app to avoid transcoding srt?

• electronicsguyelectronicsguy Posts: 1

Would like to know @ivancastell query as well. Is it possible to get info about Plex implementation on Opera TV store. it's limitations, etc?

@mattseeley said:
    The Plex app will always for a movie to transcode to burn in the subtitles on your Opera TV.

Not trying to reopen a closed case, but from this page of my TV manual

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/14XM070111/EN/codeclist.html#section05

It says that SRT external subtitles are supported in "USB" mode. Is it the lack of "USB/DLNA" support of SRT that prevents the direct play?

@zpaolo11x said:

@mattseeley said:

Not trying to reopen a closed case, but from this page of my TV manual

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/14XM070111/EN/codeclist.html#section05

It says that SRT external subtitles are supported in "USB" mode. Is it the lack of "USB/DLNA" support of SRT that prevents the direct play?

Yeah, but SRT embedded in a mkv works under DLNA. No transcoding is needed in the native Sony video player.

@ivancastell said:

>

Yeah, but SRT embedded in a mkv works under DLNA. No transcoding is needed in the native Sony video player.

"Native" video player doesn't transcode anyway AFAIK. My experience is that mkv+embedded srt makes Plex transcoding when using Sonk KDL32W705C and Opera TV Plex client

edited July 2016

@zpaolo11x said:

@ivancastell said:

>

"Native" video player doesn't transcode anyway AFAIK. My experience is that mkv+embedded srt makes Plex transcoding when using Sonk KDL32W705C and Opera TV Plex client

Yeah, that's right. Native Sony player doesn't transcode in this case, but as @mattseeley said:

What I wonder is that if the opera tv app is a webpage player, and the plex web version can playback almost all movies with embedded subtitles in srt without transcoding, why can't the app (afaik is a web wrapper) do the same? Is this because of the implementation in Opera TV?

I'll really love to use the Plex interface instead of the DLNA player if unnecessary transcoding can be avoided, but it doesn't seems to be possible.