If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Show off your Theater

gec5741gec5741 Posts: 167Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited June 2016 in Plex Film Club

I hope this is appropriate place for something like this. This is the only place in an "other" type of location for more fun type things other then "Pets photo" section.

So I was thinking maybe it would be a fun idea to have a thread dedicated to showing off your plex setup and where you like to relax and watch your favorite movies and shows using Plex! I'm hoping to see everything from high end theater setups to a nice cozy setups in your living room! So pull up seat, grab some popcorn and relax! :)

I'll get it started off with my man cave. I've been working on creating a nice "theater" setup. I haven't decided if I will go with theater seating yet. My room a bit lacking in depth and I'm not sure if I have the room. For now an old comfortable couch does the trick. We love going down stairs and watching movies with the kidos! And thanks to Plex the experience is that much better!

My list of gear is as follows.
Plex client/clients are running on a first gen nuc's model DC3217IYE (server is running on the same model nuc in utility room in basement)
I have plex running to 4 locations in my home 3TV's and the theater all using NUC's with windows 10 OS.
Windows 2012r2 server running as domain controller for group policy ease.
AVR is an Onkyo TX-NR737
speakers Definitive Technologies pb8040's (2 floor, 1 center, 2 rears.
Side speakers are old JBL's I had laying around.
Sub Klipsch r-112sw
Projector Epson 5030ub.
Screen 135" diagonal elite sable frame.
For remote control I use Flirc's on all my nuc clients. Living room and theater I use a couple Xbox One media remotes. The other 2 TV's I just use the actual TV remotes for controlling plex with the flircs.
I also use the onkyo app to control avr sound in the theater with my phone.

PHT

PHT

PHT some more

PMP

PMP

PMP

media rack with nuc and flirc for remote support

Xbox one remote used with flirc

Link to complete build below.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/1499418-gec5741_official_basement_build.html

Comments

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,422Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited June 2016

@gec5741 Love your setup! You can tell a lot of hard work, blood, and sweat went into that job. I'm salivating over your 135" screen and the clean organization of your gear. The lighting also ads a nice, subtle touch to the room's environment. Would you care to share why you chose an Epson projector over something else, like a Sony? Also, what paint did you use?

Search our Knowledge Base for more help

• SE56SE56 Posts: 1,762Members ✭✭✭✭

Awesome setup, I set my lounge room in a smallish house with the following and Plex has just made it wonderful. Thanks goes to Plex developers and fellow Plex forum members

Server Computer: iMac 27" Late 2015
    Media Storage: 3 x WD External Drives USB 3
    Home Network: Cat 6 and Wireless Dual Channel AC
    Monitor / TV: LG 65UB950T
    Network Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR646, 7.1 setup, ARC
    Optical device: **PS3
    **Front standing speakers:
    Three way Bowers and Wilkins
    Surrounds: Mordaunt - Short, Ceiling & Wall mounted
    Sub: Powered Mordaunt - Short
    Remote: Onkyo app iPad Air 2, Onkmote iMac app, AirPlay, Plex app ios, LG Magic remote
    DLNA: HD Music, flac
    Plex: Video, Photo, iTunes
    Radio: Internet Radio, Pandora, FM, Digital Radio
    Pay TV: Foxtel Q2 Satellite

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. : Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

• gec5741gec5741 Posts: 167Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 2016

Thanks man that's nice to hear! As for the projector while doing my build it took me a few years because I did all the work myself and I had to learn as I went. I researched the hell out of projectors at the time of my build in my price range. in the end it came down to the Epson and a Sony VPL-HW40ES model that were very close in regards to picture. there were trade offs with both projectors. To be honest in the end I stuck with the Epson because I had done way more research into that one then the Sony. And the 3d technology on the Epson was RF vs Sony's IR. Deal breaker? Maybe not and the IR would of probably worked just fine. Not that I watch a ton of 3d anyway but I did like the RF tech better as it does not need line of sight. Also Epson gave me a free bulb with my purchase and that's a 300 dollar value right there. So in the end both projectors were and are awesome and I don't think you can wrong with either.

As for paint I'm trying to remember off hand what the heck we went with. I think we used BERR and we did go with all different shades of grey the darkest being the screen wall and celling then going lighter as you move out. I went with an eggshell just because I'm not a fan of flat paint. However flat is better for not showing the reflections. They don't bother me in my room but some people they might.

Nice thanks Gary! Like your gear list. I agree thanks to the Plex Devs because without this software my system would be no ware near as nice or as fun to use!

You reminded me of one thing regarding my setup at home. While I do have wireless in my house I've networked my intire house with cat6. I even ran a chace from my main rack in my basement to my garage and back yard for out door movie nights. This is a messy picture (only old one I could dig up) of my network rack. The AVR in this shot is what runs my home made touch screen jukebox for the bar area in my basement.

since this photo I've added another 48port POE switch for future use with cameras and other things.

• bbuckles76bbuckles76 Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Damn, that's a lot of ethernet connections. I support 12 remote offices for my work, and only a couple use anywhere near that many ports. My whole house is hard wired and only uses about 12 ports, and that's with 4 going to the servers

• zerolim1tzerolim1t Posts: 409Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

wow thats amazing!

• Media Center
    • ZeroFlixs.com
    • i5 System 16gigs ram 50 TB 
    • Movies | Tv Shows | Boxing | UFC | Stand-up | Documentaries | Broadway |

@bbuckles76 said:
    Damn, that's a lot of ethernet connections. I support 12 remote offices for my work, and only a couple use anywhere near that many ports. My whole house is hard wired and only uses about 12 ports, and that's with 4 going to the servers

Hehe I'll admit not all of those drops are in use. But they are live and CAN be used if needed. I put 3 drops per bedroom alone with room to add if ever needed. My office on the first floor has 4 drops, living room has 4 and when I built out the basement I added ton. Any location I have a TV or anything that may require network access I add 2 drops minimum. So they add up fast! I even ran a drop to my back yard for outdoor movie watching ;) So I probably only actually USE a handful of drops at any given time ;)

• jjrjr1jjrjr1 Posts: 1,758Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Man.. Hell of a setup..
    I might take some pics of mine..
    However, Not as impressive (Wish I could create a setup like that.. No Room LOL)

Being a single dad... my setup is more of a giant Man Cave.. LOL (As My Whole House is!!)

Also, I do not have model numbers of all my equipment memorized.. Sorry

• wesmanwesman Posts: 614Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a very similar setup

Here is my Plex Server Build
    The Server and Two Network Switchs (1-48 Port Netgear 1GB switch and 1-16 Port 10GB Switch)
    All the Wiring for my house is Cat6 Shielded and there are at least 2 ports in every room, 4 in the office, 6 in the living Room, Family Room.
    There are 7 Flat Screen Samsung Smart TV's, 2 Roku 4's and 2 Xbox One's that have Plex Installed on them, and they are all connected to the 10GB Switch.

**Media Room Gear (Link to AVS pictures) **
    Harmony Elite
    Roku 4 (4K)
    Projector Epson 5030ub.
    Screen 165" diagonal screen that I painted myself, and works AMAZINGLY well.
    Klipsch Reference RS-62 II (2 each) Surround Speakers
    Klipsch Reference RC-62 II (1 each) Center Speaker
    Klipsch Reference RF-62 II (2 each) Front Speakers
    Klipsch Reference RB-61 II (2 each) Rear Speakers
    Klipsch SW-112 (1 each) Subwoofer
    Yamaha RX-A1060BL (4K)
    Just waiting on the price of True 4K Projectors to come into my price range (that's the number where my wife doesn't kill me)

The Room itself is under the garage in a Prestressed basement with 14 inches of cement on all sides, making the place pretty much sound proof.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/2610585-wesman-s-build-lessons-learned.html

• aeonxaeonx Posts: 1,326Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I'm jealous. Looking forward to the Plex videos about user setups!

• aeonxaeonx Posts: 1,326Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Is anyone here contributing to the Plex setup video showcase? When is that going to be released?

edited December 2016

@aeonx said:
    Is anyone here contributing to the Plex setup video showcase? When is that going to be released?

I didn't see the "Plex setup video showcase". I'll have to take a look for it! That sounds interesting!

@wesman said:
    I have a very similar setup

Here is my Plex Server Build
    The Server and Two Network Switchs (1-48 Port Netgear 1GB switch and 1-16 Port 10GB Switch)
    All the Wiring for my house is Cat6 Shielded and there are at least 2 ports in every room, 4 in the office, 6 in the living Room, Family Room.
    There are 7 Flat Screen Samsung Smart TV's, 2 Roku 4's and 2 Xbox One's that have Plex Installed on them, and they are all connected to the 10GB Switch.

**Media Room Gear (Link to AVS pictures) **
    Harmony Elite
    Roku 4 (4K)
    Projector Epson 5030ub.
    Screen 165" diagonal screen that I painted myself, and works AMAZINGLY well.
    Klipsch Reference RS-62 II (2 each) Surround Speakers
    Klipsch Reference RC-62 II (1 each) Center Speaker
    Klipsch Reference RF-62 II (2 each) Front Speakers
    Klipsch Reference RB-61 II (2 each) Rear Speakers
    Klipsch SW-112 (1 each) Subwoofer
    Yamaha RX-A1060BL (4K)
    Just waiting on the price of True 4K Projectors to come into my price range (that's the number where my wife doesn't kill me)

The Room itself is under the garage in a Prestressed basement with 14 inches of cement on all sides, making the place pretty much sound proof.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/2610585-wesman-s-build-lessons-learned.html

Gear list and setup looks AWSOME! As for the 4k projectors I'm with ya man! Getting there as the new Epson is "sort of" 4k from I can tell. Don't think it's True 4k though? It may be a few years before we see good 4k on a projector in my price range which is the 3k area. But it's getting close!

Just took a look at your avs build. I LOVE your room! I wish I had room in mine for the steps and back bar like yours! media rack is very nice as well. Great job on the build!

• wesmanwesman Posts: 614Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@gec5741 said:
    Gear list and setup looks AWSOME! As for the 4k projectors I'm with ya man! Getting there as the new Epson is "sort of" 4k from I can tell. Don't think it's True 4k though? It may be a few years before we see good 4k on a projector in my price range which is the 3k area. But it's getting close!

Just took a look at your avs build. I LOVE your room! I wish I had room in mine for the steps and back bar like yours! media rack is very nice as well. Great job on the build!

I am with you on that.. the whole room is set for 4K except the projector, and I'll wait on it... no sense getting a kinda 4K..

yeah, the epson takes a 4K input and downgrades it to an "Enhanced 1080P".

• - NaDs- NaDs Posts: 549Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 16

I have posted in another thread but recently had a few updates....

Home Theater

• 75inch Samsung 4k JU7000
    • Nvidia Shield
    • PS4
    • Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar
    • Sonos Play 5 Gen 2
    • Philips Hue Lightstrip Plus
    • Harmony Hub

• JEscHTJEscHT Posts: 84Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 14

JEscHT Plex Home Cinema Setup:
    ~ Plex Media Server on Late 2012 2.6GHz i7, 4GB RAM, 1TB, Intel 4000 HD Mac Mini attached to a Thunderbolt 15TB Drobo 5D and a FW800 14TB Drobo Gen 2
    ~ Plex Media Player on 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac Mini displayed through Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 7500UB (controlled w/Logitech Harmony Elite Remote and diNovo Mini Bluetooth keyboard)

Onkyo TX-NR3007 9.2 AV Receiver
    Emotiva XPA-5 Amp
    Emotiva ERT-8.3 Left & Right Mains
    Emotiva ERM-6.3 Center
    Emotiva ERD-1 Side Surrounds & Front Heights
    Emotiva ERM-1 Surround Backs
    AV123 MFW-15 Sub w/upgraded Seaton Sound 700 Watt ICEpower amplifier with custom DSP programming by the original designer of the MFW-15, Mark Seaton

Carada 100" Precision Series 1.78:1 Brilliant White (110" future upgrade)
    Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 7500UB
    DIRECTV HR54-200 Genie Gen 3 Receiver
    Apple Mac Mini with Plex Media Server attached to a 15TB Drobo 5D and a 14TB Drobo
    D-Link 16-Port 10/100/1000 Rackmountable Switch
    Sony PlayStation 3
    Tripp Lite SMART1500LCDT 1500VA 900W UPS Smart LCD Battery Back Up Tower
    Logitech Harmony Elite All In One Remote and Hub
    Amazon Echo Dot with Alexa

Middle Atlantic 5-29 Slim 5 Rack with RSH Custom Faceplates & Shelves
    Middle Atlantic 4U Drawer
    8 - Black Coaster Pavilion Theater Seats
    4 - Aura Pro Bass Shakers With Dayton Audio SA230 Subwoofer Amplifier
    Charcoal Silver Screen Carpet
    7 - Spotlight Displays Gold Wide 27" x 40" Movie Poster Frames
    Pair of Raxxess ERSS-42 Economy Speaker Stands - Black Oak

Plex environment throughout the house:
    2 - Samsung Smart TVs, 4 - Rokus, xBox 360 with Kinect, Playstation 3, Plex Media Player on Raspberry Pi, iPad, iPhones, Nexus 6p