Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Xbox One S - Plex 4k

hatflixhatflix Members, Plex Pass Posts: 374 Plex Pass
edited June 2016 in Xbox One

Annnnnnd. . . . .Go!

Edit: It's a shame great they did not make it a UHD Blu Ray player.

Comments

• SteveMcNallySteveMcNally Members, Plex Pass Posts: 307 Plex Pass

@hatflix said:
    Edit: It's a shame they did not make it a UHD Blu Ray player.

They did?

"Watch UHD Blu-ray™ movies in stunning 4K Ultra HD"
    http://mspoweruser.com/xbox-one-s-announced-e3/

• mikeburroughs1mikeburroughs1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 24 Plex Pass

Thankfully Plex has until August to make this happen if it doesn't already work. Here's hoping!

• hatflixhatflix Members, Plex Pass Posts: 374 Plex Pass

@SteveMcNally said:

@hatflix said:
    Edit: It's a shame they did not make it a UHD Blu Ray player.

They did?

"Watch UHD Blu-ray™ movies in stunning 4K Ultra HD"
    http://mspoweruser.com/xbox-one-s-announced-e3/

I saw that on other blogs, but the specs on Xbox.com did not list it. It only mentioned 4K and Blu Ray. It looks like It might have not had their entire specs up yet, and still just the summary.

I do see the UHD Blu Ray mention now. Undercutting the current UHD players by $100 and adding the other services, this was a good mood. I want to make the jump, this will make it easier.

• mike4001mike4001 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 494 Plex Pass

There is indeed a UHD BluRay drive in the Xbox One S.

It says so on their official site.

• Allan68Allan68 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 497 Plex Pass
    edited June 2016

I would like to see a Plex Media Server and client combination on this as they have done with the Nvidia Shield recently. At its 500GB entry model up to the 2TB model this would make an even better contender for that combination.

That would be the icing on the cake to truly make it a 1 box does everything. AAA gaming, 4K Blu-ray and streaming and a full plex box.. server and player. There's nothing on the market like that right now and this is Plex's chance to make this the first truly all in one box.

• crazysteve2kcrazysteve2k Members, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass

I also hope this is the case, the Xbox one while a great bit of kit is lacking in a few key areas number one 4k output and playback. If the Plex team can get access to a "S" and see if they can use the new 4K processing in the box to up the rez and improve playback and who knows maybe provide 4K playback for 8 or 10BIT content, this with the addition of the 4K Blu-ray player included we would all have a system that does what we hoped from day one.. Keep up the good work guys, hope you can update us if this is possible in the near future

• stphnwaikaristphnwaikari Members, Plex Pass Posts: 117 Plex Pass

@Allan68 said:
    I would like to see a Plex Media Server and client combination on this as they have done with the Nvidia Shield recently. At its 500GB entry model up to the 2TB model this would make an even better contender for that combination.

That would be the icing on the cake to truly make it a 1 box does everything. AAA gaming, 4K Blu-ray and streaming and a full plex box.. server and player. There's nothing on the market like that right now and this is Plex's chance to make this the first truly all in one box.

im interested in our this would work, my understanding of xbox is only one app at a time, to have a plex media server running and steaming to other devices while you are gaming wouldnt happen. What about transcoding issues?

• stphnwaikaristphnwaikari Members, Plex Pass Posts: 117 Plex Pass

im looking forward to seeing what plex will do with this. ill be getting me a 2TB version on release day and currently saving for a 65" 4K TV.

@stphnwaikari said:
    im looking forward to seeing what plex will do with this. ill be getting me a 2TB version on release day and currently saving for a 65" 4K TV.

Here's one for you:

I was going to make the jump, all in to 4k soon, just whenever it felt right. Guess what put the brakes on that.

I do not want to open up the wall again right now to put a new high speed HDMI cable in. I will one day, but just more work that I want to do right now! Foiled by a damn cable!

Maybe 10.2Gbps will be enough and I can use what's there, but the research hurts my head!

@mikeburroughs1 said:
    Thankfully Plex has until August to make this happen if it doesn't already work. Here's hoping!

Where are you getting those speeds? I'm in marietta, but not naive enough to think I can get those speeds. Jealous!

• mbarylskimbarylski Members, Plex Pass Posts: 214 Plex Pass

@hatflix said:
    I do not want to open up the wall again right now to put a new high speed HDMI cable in. I will one day, but just more work that I want to do right now! Foiled by a damn cable!

Maybe 10.2Gbps will be enough and I can use what's there, but the research hurts my head!

I was thinking the same thing after reading about the new HDMI standards for 4k. But...I really can't figure out how it matters. My Ethernet connection to the Xbox tops out at 1 Gb, so how would an 18 Gb HDMI cable from the Xbox to the TV even help me? Since I only stream from Plex or the web I don't think it'll matter. If I planned to play Blu-rays though it might, but even with Blu-rays I'm skeptical.

@mbarylski said:

I was thinking the same thing after reading about the new HDMI standards for 4k. But...I really can't figure out how it matters. My Ethernet connection to the Xbox tops out at 1 Gb, so how would an 18 Gb HDMI cable from the Xbox to the TV even help me? Since I only stream from Plex or the web I don't think it'll matter. If I planned to play Blu-rays though it might, but even with Blu-rays I'm skeptical.

This article http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-2-0-explained/ makes me believe it would be fine, but I read an article where a guy went through a lot of cables to get the UHD Samsung player to work. so I am skeptical at best.

• mbarylskimbarylski Members, Plex Pass Posts: 214 Plex Pass

@hatflix said:

This article http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-2-0-explained/ makes me believe it would be fine, but I read an article where a guy went through a lot of cables to get the UHD Samsung player to work. so I am skeptical at best.

Good point, for Plex it's probably going to be fine no matter what the speed of the cable. But the issue will probably be with streaming sites like Netflix, Vudu, and Amazon that need the updated standard to comply with the new copyright protections.

If I do replace my current HDMI cable, I think I'll wait until my next remodeling project before I open up the wall. Or maybe just duct tape the old cable to the new cable and try to pull it through. :)

@mbarylski now that I think of it, I can probably guide the cable through the choke point at the stud I had to drill to route it and the tape would hold as long as I do not stress it at the choke point. . . . hmmm . . . I think it could be done. . . . I think I can, I think I can.

• mikeburroughs1mikeburroughs1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 24 Plex Pass

@hatflix said:

@mikeburroughs1 said:

Where are you getting those speeds? I'm in marietta, but not naive enough to think I can get those speeds. Jealous!

The Plex server with that connection is in a data center and not in my house. That said, I can't wait for Google Fiber to come to Atlanta so I can get that kind of speed on my home box. I think parts of Marietta are coming as well, and AT&T already has GigaPower gigabit internet and Comcast has a 2 gig set up but has priced insanely.

• Terry CinemasTerry Cinemas Members, Plex Pass Posts: 892 Plex Pass

Wait for project Scorpio. Don't get the new x1s. It's a waste..... Scorpio is worth the buy.

• Amnesia87Amnesia87 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

@Terry Cinemas said:
    Wait for project Scorpio. Don't get the new x1s. It's a waste..... Scorpio is worth the buy.

But I wanna watch Deadpool in glorious HDR 4k next month, not next year. Why would I buy any other uhd bluray player when this one is cheaper, and it has a 2tb hard drive and an actual CPU. Plus with bluetooth I'm finally no longer cursed with the awful IR remote and trying to get LOS. I'm curious if an apple remote will pair.

• mike4001mike4001 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 494 Plex Pass

The console doesn't have Bluetooth. Only the new Controller does to connect it to a PC without the Xbox Adapter stick

• SteveMcNallySteveMcNally Members, Plex Pass Posts: 307 Plex Pass

@Terry Cinemas said:

I'm getting the S and I don't even have 4K. I need an Xbox for the projector in the basement, may as well get the new one...

@SteveMcNally said:

@Terry Cinemas said:

I'm getting the S and I don't even have 4K. I need an Xbox for the projector in the basement, may as well get the new one...

True and if you are a Kinect kind of person, you should be able to finally extend it.