Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Skipping audio on Fire tv 4k box

4Meadway4Meadway Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 201 Plex Pass

Noticed every couple of minutes there is a millisecond blip in the audio 5.1 playback on a film, anyone else noticed this?

Seen a few posts on other sites, people mentioning it seems to how started since the latest amazon fire update but not had it long enough to comment.

Best Answer

Answers

• 4Meadway4Meadway Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 201 Plex Pass

Still on going - no solution! please help!

• rxprxp Members, Plex Pass Posts: 88 Plex Pass

I've got this on some of my blu-ray remuxes too.

I think I have only managed to watch a single film without the sound blipping - makes the app almost useless for anything other than stereo content!

I did start another thread with more information as these wasn't getting much attention:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/224072/help-sorting-out-5-1-on-amazon-fire-tv-4k#latest

Maybe you can add something there and click 'WTF' or something - hopefully it will flag is as an issue with the plex team.

I know it's not the fire box or the movies as the box happily outputs 5.1 from other services and the movies have streamed for years from our old PC running the plex home theatre which the fire tv was supposed to replace.

• joe6680joe6680 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 19 Plex Pass

See if this works for you...

http://www.aftvnews.com/mrmc-update-adds-4k-support-refresh-rate-switching-24p25p30p-support-plex-client-and-more/

Will try when I get home tonight. They supposedly have a built in Plex client. If it gives me a clean interface and solves some of my issues I won't care about using the native client.

@darrencotton said:
    I think I have only managed to watch a single film without the sound blipping - makes the app almost useless for anything other than stereo content!

I did start another thread with more information as these wasn't getting much attention:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/224072/help-sorting-out-5-1-on-amazon-fire-tv-4k#latest

Maybe you can add something there and click 'WTF' or something - hopefully it will flag is as an issue with the plex team.

I know it's not the fire box or the movies as the box happily outputs 5.1 from other services and the movies have streamed for years from our old PC running the plex home theatre which the fire tv was supposed to replace.

It's $6.00 but if it does what I need I'm more than happy to support them.

• meltmanmeltman Members, Plex Pass Posts: 200 Plex Pass

I've noticed the same.

I have example media - seems to be happening when I direct play an m4v with AC3 6 channel audio. You get a tiny "cut-out" of audio every so often.

What sort of info can I provide to Plex Devs? Latest PMS.

• scotplexscotplex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 34 Plex Pass
    edited August 2016

Just got the new Fire TV 4K and am having the same issue. Fortunately, I kept my 1st Gen Fire TV, and AC3 is working fine on that one.

Update Aug 6, 2016: Installed MrMC on Fire TV 4K. That app handled 5.1 just fine. So there does seem to be an incompatibility with the new Fire TV and the Plex app. By the way, Netflix had an incompatibility related to video for the second generation Fire TV under the original OS version. Updating to the latest OS fixed that. I only mention that to suggest that there are likely real underlying differences that would allow for Plex to work on first generation Fire TVs but not on second generation.

@joe6680 said:

http://www.aftvnews.com/mrmc-update-adds-4k-support-refresh-rate-switching-24p25p30p-support-plex-client-and-more/

Will try when I get home tonight. They supposedly have a built in Plex client. If it gives me a clean interface and solves some of my issues I won't care about using the native client

Thanks for the link but I have kodi installed and running for free. Yes it can do plex but it's not a good as the overall plex app nd considering I'm a plex pass member I and have paid for plex, I would like it working.

Saying that, watching a movie today and not skipping or jumping to report at all! Maybe the last update fixed it...can hope.

@darrencotton said:

@joe6680 said:

Will try when I get home tonight. They supposedly have a built in Plex client. If it gives me a clean interface and solves some of my issues I won't care about using the native client

Thanks for the link but I have kodi installed and running for free. Yes it can do plex but it's not a good as the overall plex app nd considering I'm a plex pass member I and have paid for plex, I would like it working.

Saying that, watching a movie today and not skipping or jumping to report at all! Maybe the last update fixed it...can hope.

What last update? Also I did get MrMc because I was able to take advantage of an Amazon promo that gave me a 10.00 credit which I used towards the purchase. It does have a nicer interface than Kodi because I can sign directly into the Plex server. It also resolves the audio issue. However, I cannot remote delete a file... Annoying!!!

• scotplexscotplex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 34 Plex Pass

@joe6680 said:

@darrencotton said:

@joe6680 said:

What last update? Also I did get MrMc because I was able to take advantage of an Amazon promo that gave me a 10.00 credit which I used towards the purchase. It does have a nicer interface than Kodi because I can sign directly into the Plex server. It also resolves the audio issue. However, I cannot remote delete a file... Annoying!!!

I had the same question related to updates. So for kicks and giggles, I factory reset the Fire TV 2nd Gen, made sure it had the latest Fire OS, and then installed Plex. The 5.1 audio issue did not resolve.

I also have the same experience using MrMC. Works, but annoying.

As with MrMC, Netflix and Amazon Video play 5.1 audio correctly. Of the apps I use, only Plex has issues.

Sadly it's still skipping on HD badly...have to use the dolby prologic 2 track and get the amp to create 5.1, which leads to soft sound so not great! Sd seems to fair better but I have noticed the odd skip.

Like everyone else has said, all other apps don't suffer with this audio issue when the sound is passed via the TV to the amp on optical!

I have tried a hard reset and fresh install and the issue is still there, I have brought new cables and still skipping.

Music, stereo and prologic tracks are fine, but a 5.1...plex says no!

...deafening silence from plex on the bug...

• AndrroidAndrroid Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,083 Plex Pass

Yeah they owe a response to anyone who has ever reported a bug. Gotta console all those needy, emotional users.

You know, instead of just working to fix the bug.

I wouldn't call myself emotional or needy (lol), but I do pay for plex and just a response to say it's been looked into or some advice on how to resolve it would be nice.

I have gone round the houses and Google until I got bored looking for a solution and consider myself pretty good with tech and this one has got me!

• meltmanmeltman Members, Plex Pass Posts: 200 Plex Pass

No one is being whiny, just wanting to help in any possible way. Like I said, I have example media if it's needed. If a developer wants to reach out send me a PM.

The latest fire TV update didn't change the situation.

Direct play, m4v, ac3 = suffering for me.
    Direct stream, same issue.

• Fridolin12Fridolin12 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 26 Plex Pass

I habe exactly the same Problem. Audio (Dolby Digital) cuts Off every couple of seconds on a Fire TV 4K.

• cr0w21cr0w21 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 19 Plex Pass

+1... It's been an issue for awhile.

Just installed the newest update for the Fire TV 4K.
    The Plex App is also the newest version.
    Unfortunately the Problem (Audio cut-offs with dolby digital audio) still exits.
    Files play fine with other players.

I have tired every setting I can think off - audio by optical pass through with the plex app for 5.1 is not a happy listening experience. Happy to provide settings, or log files for some with more advanced understanding of coding at plex can it - happy to test beta versions if we can get a working solution.

If all else fails, I may have to buy a new amp with HDMI pass through, but it seem wasteful when the one we have now is working fine and has done for years!

@darrencotten
    I don't think that a new amp with hdmi passtrough would help. HDMI carries the same audio data.

I can't remember where, but someone said that the audio was playing fine via hdmi to the amp and then onto the TV; however without another amp to test it on, it would seem an expensive waste of money it the issue is still there! Think my father has new amp with hdmi pass through...might take it with me next time I see him and try it with his amp to see if it sorts the issue or not.

Still don't understand why it's a issue with the plex app with playback via other services in 5.1 are fine!