How to move Plex's data on Linux
WARNING WARNING WARNING --- This thread is being written & integrated into the Linu FAQ
Information here is dated and likely not correct
The purpose of this 'How To' is to show you how to move your existing PMS data directory ( /var/lib/plexmediaserver) transparently to another location, either locally or on your NAS.
In this example, 'systemctl' (systemd) is used. Use the command appropriate for your system
Points to consider:
- First, pick a location which has enough space (now and the foreseeable future). "/home" usually makes a great location for this since it survives OS installations and upgrades. /home/plexdir is used in this example.
- The location should not be something dynamically mounted (external USB, etc).
- The new location must be mounted automatically when the machine boots (before Plex is started). This means an entry exists in /etc/fstab for it.
- It is strongly advised to keep the new location at the 'top level' of the new file system location (root dir of a hard drive or top of a NAS share)
- If you do place your Plex data on your NAS / local lan, be advised to take care in making certain user 'plex' has all the appropriate permissions on the other machine
Performing the actual move
# Get a root shell for the following commands sudo sh # Stop Plex (use whatever command / method you normally use to stop Plex) systemctl stop plexmediaserver # Create the new destination directory ( I will use /home/plexdir in this example ) mkdir /home/plexdir # Set ownership permissions chown plex:plex /home/plexdir # Copy the existing library to the new location cd /var/lib/plexmediaserver tar cf - . | (cd /home/plexdir ; tar xf - ) # Move the current library out of the way (to be deleted later) mv Library Library.orig # Create the redirection symbolic link ln -s /home/plexdir/Library ./Library # Start Plex and verify everything is ok. # If no errors were printed during the transfer, and you didn't skip any permissions steps, the move will be invisible. systemctl start plexmediaserver # Delete the original library rm -rf /var/lib/plexplexmediaserver/Library.orig # exit the root shell exit