Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Amazon Fire TV - "Plex is unable to start due to an error" since June Update was installed

pbkeithpbkeith Posts: 4Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hey folks, I have an Amazon Fire TV and ever since the June app update was installed I have noticed the following behavior:

The Plex app launches normally 1 time. The 2nd time I open the app (and all subsequent attempts) I receive the message "Plex is unable to start due to an error."

I can reboot the Amazon Fire TV and reproduce the exact same scenario (1st launch is OK, all others receive the error until another reboot). This behavior persisted even after uninstalling and reinstalling the Plex App.

All other apps work flawlessly for me (Web Player, Xbox, Android Phone). My Plex Media Server is a Synology DS416j.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• pbkeithpbkeith Posts: 4Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Issue has disappeared and the Fire TV Plex app is working normally again. Unsure what resolved it, possibly the installation of the latest DSM update and/or another reboot of the NAS.

• BGSBGS Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

After initial launch, subsequent launches yield the message, "Plex is unable to start due to an error."

Just bought FireTV Gaming edition today and had hoped there was a workaround since the problem seems to go back several months.

A reboot allows me login in a hit or miss fashion. Trying not to give in to frustration.

• jedi620jedi620 Posts: 1Members

I had this error too.
    I uninstalled and reinstalled the app (June 2016) on my fire tv stick as well as updating Plex server to 1.0.0.2261
    After logging back into plex.tv on the fire stick app, all was well.

• snzkickinsnzkickin Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've been dealing with this issue since late 2015 / early 2016. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Plex app, factory reset the Amazon Fire TV box (AFTV), applied every single update to Plex on my server side (however this should not keep the plex app from opening, right?). The only fix is to reboot the Amazon Fire TV box. After that, Plex opens fine at least once, maybe twice, then that's all. I have to reboot AFTV again.

• snzkickinsnzkickin Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

BTW - This issue does NOT occur on any of my Roku 3 boxes. Plex opens every time with all three of those boxes.

• hatfieldjfhatfieldjf Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I had this affecting only 1 of my 6 Fire TV's, it seemed. This one is more heavily used than the others. I thought it may have something to do with PlayStationVUE app, because it seemed to initially be a problem when switching from that app to Plex. That may still be the case, and I've started using the other Fire's more often, but don't seem to experience the problem as much on those. So maybe it is unrelated.

I have found that I can force stop the plex app by navigating to the setting>>apps>>installed apps>>Plex>>force stop. I think that path is correct. Then immediately select "launch application", which is the option above "force stop".

I can tell immediately when launching the app that it will eventually error out. When you first launch Plex you'll see "Plex" in large letters in the middle of the screen and within about 2 seconds the word will get smaller and move toward the upper center of the screen. If this change doesn't happen, I've found that it will always error out. That's a clue for developers to troubleshoot it.

Anyway...I've learned when I don't see this change, I can immediately press the Home button, navigate to settings, force stop the app and relaunch it, faster than waiting for the error to show and waiting thru a Restart process. It almost always will launch successfully after executing a forced stop.

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 6,002Members ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016

You're leaving the app running when you leave. Probably by hitting Home on the remote instead of Back and answering Yes when asked if you really want to leave.

Now I know this is a sane way to leave, but that isn't how the developers use the app.. even if it is how a million users do it. So naturally they don't know there's anything wrong and can't reproduce the fault. Something happens in the app or on the server while the app is left running that causes internal combustion - it happens here randomly and without warning, unless I exit the app properly.

Try leaving the app in developer fashion (hit Back 80 times or just hold it down until asked... then answer yes) and see if that helps.

The app on your Rokus was developed by a skilled person or persons under the watchful eye of that person. The app on your AFTV was developed by a team that - by all indications - can't shoot straight.

By all means, if you're not using AutoPlay disable it in the app settings. AFTV is currently possessed by ghosts and can do anything at anytime - always turn off stuff you're not using if there's the luxury of a switch to do so. Also ensure that you're on the latest version of the app. At no time in the history of Plex on AFTV has mine ever updated automatically... requiring reinstallation to upgrade... another case in point for The Soggy Bottom Boys in AFTV development.

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://streamfree.tv/roku-channels/private/all/rarflix-108-thread.html )

• rookie1_1998rookie1_1998 Posts: 5Members ✭✭

This has been happening all this time for me. I am going to try this 'back' button hack, as well as deleting and reinstalling the app.

Yes, this has still been occurring for me since the original post as well. Pretty much if I see the error at this point, I reboot my AFTV to resolve it. Hopefully a fix can be found.

• plexcabbplexcabb Posts: 98Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The "back' and 'exit' way didn't help. The issue re-occurred anyway.

• knkberryknkberry Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue with the AMFT, but the Roku works great!

• remsadremsad Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same problem. I need to restart FireTv each time

For me, the app will start alright after 5 mins or so from the previous failed attempt.
    I know it's frustrating. Don't know what's going on and don't know a way to pull the app log off the Fire TV. Does anyone know how to pull the app log?

Thanks

Maybe this is the cause of the app startup failure.

10-05 10:31:20.829 i: [TaskAsyncInit] Starting async initialization task because we're launching Anvergo.
    10-05 10:31:20.831 i: Starting service at port 32412
    10-05 10:31:20.950 i: [pms]Starting Plex Media Server at port 32500.
    10-05 10:31:21.659 i: [Billing] Created subscription billing manager. Product ID: plex_pass_subscription_v1. Old product IDs: [].
    10-05 10:31:22.600 e: [AnvergoChannel] Failed to open.
    10-05 10:31:22.680 e: An exception occurred: java.net.ConnectException: failed to connect to /127.0.0.1 (port 32434): connect failed: ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)
    10-05 10:31:22.680 e: Stacktrace: java.net.ConnectException: failed to connect to /127.0.0.1 (port 32434): connect failed: ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)
    at libcore.io.IoBridge.connect(IoBridge.java:124)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:183)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:456)
    at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:882)
    at com.d.a.a.l.a(SourceFile:197)
    at com.d.a.q.a(SourceFile:198)
    at com.d.a.q.a(SourceFile:172)
    at com.d.a.q.a(SourceFile:358)
    at com.d.a.ag$1.a(SourceFile:117)
    at com.d.a.a.b.o.k(SourceFile:329)
    at com.d.a.a.b.o.a(SourceFile:246)
    at com.d.a.i.a(SourceFile:276)
    at com.d.a.j.a(SourceFile:234)
    at com.d.a.i.a(SourceFile:196)
    at com.d.a.i.a(SourceFile:34)
    at com.d.a.k.b(SourceFile:162)
    at com.d.a.a.i.run(SourceFile:33)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1112)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:587)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:818)
    Caused by: android.system.ErrnoException: connect failed: ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)
    at libcore.io.Posix.connect(Native Method)
    at libcore.io.BlockGuardOs.connect(BlockGuardOs.java:111)
    at libcore.io.IoBridge.connectErrno(IoBridge.java:137)
    at libcore.io.IoBridge.connect(IoBridge.java:122)
    ... 19 more

• remsadremsad Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

How do you get this log ?

• davidtenoriodavidtenorio Posts: 1Members

I'm having the exact same issue. Plex worked great for a few days and then, much like an angry ex wife, she ripped my heart out. I've Uninstalled the plex app, checked for updates for plex media sever, reinstalled, restarted my AFTV....nothing works....love the fact the plex organized my media so beautifully, but what good is it if I can't access it. Sorry to say, as much as I hate accessing my media through VLC, at least I can play my media.

You will have to enable the logging in the "Settings" and then you can access the log at http://[AFTS-IP]:32500/logging - https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201573117

• soundwave348soundwave348 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It appears this bug still exists, I can post logs the next time it happens.

Both Amazon Fire and Amazon Fire Stick.

Some combination of clearing cache, force quitting, and/or clearing data reconciles it.

Yeah, its definitely a strange and persistent issue. I finally ended up switching to a Roku device I had laying around and haven't experienced the issue. Kind of a shame because I enjoyed the speed and responsiveness of the Amazon Fire TV Plex App once it was loaded.

• csscss Posts: 15Members ✭✭

Still happening as of May 16. Also the UI still stinks - no scrubbing preview, button layout different from other Fire TV apps, looks like a poorly ported tablet app.