If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[RELEASE] Aeon Nox 5.2.3

MagnumDoomguyMagnumDoomguy Posts: 487Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited November 2016 in Aeon Nox

Aeon Nox 5.2.3 has been released via OpenPHT's update system.

In this release:

New background features:

• Enable/disable visualization background
  • Enable/disable video background
  • Fanart slide and zoom animation
  • Falling snow animation
  • Set background rotation speed for slideshow backgrounds

Display Home Videos in Portrait mode:

Default File Path for "Play File":

Disable Thumbnails for Unwatched Episodes:

Fix for virtual MP3 for transparent icons.
Show date stamp for home videos and photos widgets
Show provider info for Watch Later widgets
New Greek Translation (thanks @bugatsinho )
Dutch and Spanish language updates (thanks @Arjan1105 and @danichispa )
Various bug fixes

Thanks to @daniel.cull for help testing.

Thanks to mike silvo at the Kodi forums for the basis of the background handling code from his Aeon Nox Silvo mod.

Aeon Nox 5 Skin for OpenPHT

Like Aeon Nox 5 and want to donate some money to help support development? Click here to donate.

Comments

• esinchoesincho Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

where's the download link?

• MagnumDoomguyMagnumDoomguy Posts: 487Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

OpenPHT will download and install the update. Just go into preferences and skins, and select the update. OpenPHT will download and install it for you.

Like Aeon Nox 5 and want to donate some money to help support development? Click here to donate.

• NewYears1978NewYears1978 Posts: 52Members ✭✭

Just wanted to say thanks for the skin. I refused to use Plex over the years just because of the drop of visuals from Kodi/XBMC to Plex.

Now with this skin I have switched..and I can play on my iPad and iPhone from throughout the house now too which I couldn't with Kodi (without jailbreaking my devices)

Thanks for the kind words.

And I totally agree. I was a Kodi/XBMC user for a very long time -- I started with the Aeon Stark skin, then when that died moved on to the newer Aeon Nox skin and went through the various versions of that, eventually though I did want to switch to Plex for various reasons (like you the iPhone being one of them) but I really really didn't want to give up Aeon Nox, so I decided to port it. :)

@MagnumDoomguy said:

And I totally agree. I was a Kodi/XBMC user for a very long time -- I started with the Aeon Stark skin, then when that died moved on to the newer Aeon Nox skin and went through the various versions of that, eventually though I did want to switch to Plex for various reasons (like you the iPhone being one of them) but I really really didn't want to give up Aeon Nox, so I decided to port it. :)

And man did you ever, I love it. Also awesome to see how much you add and update...although it's 100% usable for me as it is :)

• coz2001coz2001 Posts: 284Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 2016

Also a huge fan here, thank you very much @MagnumDoomguy OpenPHT and Aeon Nox are no doubt the best plex experience, Plex won't be the same if you guys wouldn't be here.

• fenwickfenwick Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@MagnumDoomguy said:
    OpenPHT will download and install the update. Just go into preferences and skins, and select the update. OpenPHT will download and install it for you.

I just downloaded OpenPHT 1.6.2 Windows x86 and I don't see anything except "Plex" from the Skin dropdown.

@fenwick
    I just tried on a fresh install and was able to download Aeon Nox from the fresh install.

It's possible the server might have been temporarily down when you tried. Can you try again?

edited July 2016

@MagnumDoomguy said:

Hey, can you tell me where I can customize the icons for things like HD720, 5.1 sound, etc. The ones showing in the info panes for tv shows. I want to just recolor them to silver/white.

Not sure if those are part of Plex default or you did those specifically for the theme...but I had no luck finding their location.

I tried to extract the xbt file for the skin but it always gives me a blank folder (tried the Kodi extracter and the notepad++ plugin)

The media flags are located here: https://github.com/magnumdoomguy/skin.aeon.nox.5/tree/master/media/flags

If you want white ones, I can do that -- Aeon Nox 5 for Kodi comes with white ones, I replaced those with the coloured set. Adding back the original white ones (with a setting to choose between the coloured set and the white ones) wouldn't be a problem.

edited July 2016

That'd be a great customization option ;)

I am big on customization though I always end up customizing something so learning how to do it helps. Still curious why the xbt file wouldn't extract. But maybe it's because that file only contained references to a location instead of actual files?

Edit:
    Where are they located on the disk? I assume in appdata somewhere but not having luck.
    C:\Users\James\AppData\Roaming\OpenPHT\addons\skin.aeon.nox.5 maybe

I tried putting one file here to see if it worked like an override:
    C:\Users\James\AppData\Roaming\OpenPHT\addons\skin.aeon.nox.5\media\flags\135x90\resolution

But no go so I guess I need to change it in the xbt file which I am not having luck extracting.

(I downloaded your source and put it there rather than the texture..although the image I replaced to test still isn't showing..I imagine it must be cached..and I can't figure out how to reset the cache)

edited July 2016

My post vanished that I was editing not sure why.

So I downloaded all the media files and extracted them in place of the xbt file (which I could not figure out how to extract and repack) and I replaced one image..but it doesn't show up.

Do I have to reset the image cache or something?

(Ha, I was changing the wrong one..the 135x90 one..I suppose thats for mobile devices - it's working now thanks for your help :)

One question though, Plex or OpenPHT seems to cache those images and compress or scale them or something and they look bad..is there no way to prevent that?

You need to recompile the textures.xbt to get the new image to show.

The image cache is only for images coming from PMS -- doesn't affect skin textures.

The 135x90 are not for mobile devices but actually exactly for the last question in your post -- the scaling for textures in Kodi / OpenPHT is actually pretty bad. I've started the long process of rescaling the textures for the specific uses of them in various areas of the skin.

If you're interested in tweaking and improving on textures -- I'm always grateful for more help in improving Nox, if you want to collaborate.

Anything I can do to help. I am actually a skinner of various things over the years, but my free time has gone waaaaaaaay down with a new job. My last project was actually a skin for HyperSpin (Rom/Arcade program similar to what Plex/Kodi is for videos)

This was the skin I was making:
    http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/13804-aeon-mq6-unified-16x9-wip-branch-of-dark13s-aeon-nox-xiii-htpc-kodi-style/

It was hard because EVERYTHING in that program is flv/swf and xml and is scaled and only runs on 720 so I had to use swf scripts to convert and trick the program to use 1080p

Fun times eh?

I hate that all these programs always have some form of fail scaling..it would be better if there was the option to use source images.

With OpenPHT though I have no idea the process. I made some custom images as a test and replaced them in the resolutions folder and they looked horrible in OpenPHT

Very cool. I ran an arcade cabinet business for a few years.

For OpenPHT, just changing the images won't work well, unless the new images are the same resolution, or the code is changed to match. Source images can be used (at least for the skin textures themselves). As I said, I'm slowly going through the skin and prescaling the flags to match the display resolution.

Here's an example of the media flags prescaled to match to the 1080p resolution they're displayed in.

Before:

After:

Subtle but better (obviously you need to view the two images in fullscreen, otherwise the browser's scaling is defeating the 1:1 scaling shown in the image above.

The images part of OpenPHT skins isn't too hard to get a handle on. It's the xml that has a steep learning curve. The place to start for that is here: http://kodi.wiki/view/Skinning_Manual

Most of the Kodi documentation (but not all) applies. For the OpenPHT specific xml -- the only way to learn that currently is the way I did -- picking through the code of existing skins and figuring out how they work from their code.

I'm good at coding, but my image skills are pretty limited.

Yeah that definitely looks better. So what is the process you are having ot use? Are you running 1080p?

Are you having to make the images larger and use some scaling process (squishing the image) or? Just curious what is involved.

Cool that you ran a cabinet business..got tired of it? Or just got too saturated of a market? I ended up not even using my own skin..I am just using Retroarch as it's own front in with it's XMB menus..it's just way less work that way.

Used to have a Rom Collection Browser skin as well but that thing was too much of a pain. Trying to simplify things in my older age. Plex and Retroarch are simple and easier to use..don't need all that fluff. =D

• zpaolo11xzpaolo11x Posts: 1,239Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm using Aeon Nox 5 on Open PHT but every time I run OpenPHT the skin starts with the "Search" menu item in the middle. Is there a way to control which item is active at start?

It's actually the opposite -- the images are already too large for the containers they're being displayed in. I'm just scaling them down beforehand so that OpenPHT doesn't have to do it.

@zpaolo11x said:
    I'm using Aeon Nox 5 on Open PHT but every time I run OpenPHT the skin starts with the "Search" menu item in the middle. Is there a way to control which item is active at start?

Unfortunately that's hardcoded into OpenPHT. Disabling Search in the skin settings will force the first media section to be in focus at the start -- that's the only other option. Beyond that it's out of the skin's control. You can perhaps make a feature request on the OpenPHT GitHub to be able to control that (I'd like that feature myself).

edited July 2016

@MagnumDoomguy said:
    It's actually the opposite -- the images are already too large for the containers they're being displayed in. I'm just scaling them down beforehand so that OpenPHT doesn't have to do it.

So if I were to make images in the 135x90 filesize, they should not scale am I understanding correct? (IE what's the filesize required for those images for non scaling?)

@zpaolo11x said:

Make this a feature request! I hate that you can't reorder them a certain way, so stupid! I had the same problem myself. And if I remove search then music is first, I want TV Shows first. It appears to be hardcoded in alphabetical order (although Search will always show before everything else). You can rename your labels with numbers to get a custom sort..but it looks stupid :\

This discussion has been closed.