Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Blur Mod

Mr PowerMr Power Members Posts: 130
edited March 2011 in Blur
Weather window, Rotating Bokeh etc
Edit: Scroll down to post #19 for the latest version

Hey guys,

I found myself playing around with skinning Plex and did a few changes to Blur, the skin I'm using Plex with. I have to say I'm really a beginner and mostly did some copy and paste work to make my changes. I also assume most of my code is not perfectly correct and I will have to do some code cleaning in the future as well. However, for me all I've changed is working perfectly fine and it makes Blur an even better skin for me. Here's what I did:

Changed Home->"Apps" to "Online"
Changed Home->Online->"App Store" to "Plug-Ins"
Changed Home->Settings->"Custom Settings" to "Blur"
Added optional weather forecast page
Added option to rotate bokeh (this is done in a very subtle way so it doesn't distract the user)
Added option to hide "Other Apps" in Home->Online
Added fade out transition to Video Info window

I will probably enhance the weather view over the next time (right now it will only show the weather of the first location you've selected in settings) but that might take me some time to learn how first. Until then, just let me what you think.

If you want to use my mod, here's what you need to do:

1. Install Blur
2. Download the attached package
3. Uncompress the package
4. Replace the files found in Library->Application Support->Plex->Skin->Blur-720p with the files in the package
5. Restart skin

Note: If jaaps decides to make changes to blur this will most certainly break the mod unless the files updated by japps and mine are merged.
Jaaps included the mod in the latest release of blur. Thus, I've taken down the mod and will only post new stuff (if I find the time to make some).

Here are some screens:
Plex1.png

Plex2.png

Plex3.png

Plex4.png

Comments

• marklightmarklight Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,006 Plex Pass
    These are all fantastic changes!

One thing though. If the app store is now "plug-ins" shoudn't the video, music, and picture apps now be labeled as plug-ins too?
  • Mr PowerMr Power Members Posts: 130
    edited January 2011
    Update:

Added option to show DVD in Home->My Media
    Fixed Bug that prevented the bokeh to rotate in the flipped Now Playing view

For the DVD part you'll need a DVD in the disc drive, the option "Enable optical media" in the advanced plex preferences switched on, and "Show DVD" in the blur options turned on. Since I don't have a DVD I have not been able to test this.

marklight wrote:

These are all fantastic changes!

One thing though. If the app store is now "plug-ins" shoudn't the video, music, and picture apps now be labeled as plug-ins too?

I'll think about that. The reason I changed it was, that I don't like the name App Store. However, I think Video Apps or so makes sense.
    yea i've been trying to come up with a better description for the app store myself, but it's hard. store or market implies that you're paying for something... it's tough to describe the downloads spot.
    Mr. Power, would you consider putting 'restart the system' in the quit menu? There are times I'd like to restart my whole computer (usually due to the PMS being screwy, and it'd be a nice option to have). Even nicer would be an option on the homescreen to just quit and relaunch the PMS.
  • jaapsjaaps Members, Plex Pass Posts: 187 Plex Pass
    I finally had some time to fully check this out and I must say Very Nice job!
    The animation is really nice, if you don't mind I'll add it to Blur on github.

Thanks for your work!
    marklight wrote:

Mr. Power, would you consider putting 'restart the system' in the quit menu? There are times I'd like to restart my whole computer (usually due to the PMS being screwy, and it'd be a nice option to have). Even nicer would be an option on the homescreen to just quit and relaunch the PMS.

You could try the following:

Navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/Plex/skin/Blur and open the file Home.xml (use a simple text editor). Find (should be almost at the bottom of the file):

<item id="3">
     <description>Shut Down Button</description>
     <label>Shutdown</label>
     <onclick>XBMC.ShutDownSystem()</onclick>
    </item>

Add the following lines exactly below:

<item id="4">
     <description>Restart Button</description>
     <label>Restart</label>
     <onclick>XBMC.RebootSystem()</onclick>
    </item>

Then save the file and restart the skin. Let me know if it works, I haven't been able to test it.

jaaps wrote:

I finally had some time to fully check this out and I must say Very Nice job!
    The animation is really nice, if you don't mind I'll add it to Blur on github.

Thanks for your work!

Thanks. I'm glad you like it. Feel free to take whatever parts you like and add them to the blur master. I'll see what didn't make it into the master and change the mod.
    well it adds the restart option to the main menu, but when you click on it, nothing happens.
    You could try changing the line:

<onclick>XBMC.RebootSystem()</onclick>

to

<onclick>System.Reboot</onclick>

as referenced here: http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Built_In_Skin_Functions

However that does not work as well. If you change it to "Plex.Reboot" it does quit Plex but is not doing anything else. I tried lot's of different combinations with "restart" and "reset" as well, none of which worked unfortunately. To be honest, I don't know if it works at all in Plex. Is there a skin that can reboot the system?
    edited March 2011
    I've had the time lately to work on a few other changes. Feel free to try them out. Hope you like it. Jaaps, just like last time, if you fancy include whatever you like into the blur master.

Here's a list of what I've changed this time:

- New Button Style (influenced by japps' early skin mockups)
    - Added location selection in weather view (press right and choose location)
    - Added optional RSS feed (turned on in Plex settings, not in skin settings)
    - Optional position of RSS feed (top or bottom of home)
    - Added optional smooth window transitions
    - Added current runtime and total runtime in now playing view
    - Cleaned up visualisation View (very basic but usable) (switch from now playing to visualisation style in pley settings)
    - Added optional clock in now playing view
    - Improved home menu and skin settings menu (scrolling from bottom to top)
    - Improved home menu focus (still not perfect though)
    - Changed fanart (increased visibility in media view, decreased in home)
    - Added option for background independent fanart (adds transparent black overlay to fanart instead of transparent background)
    - Added option to increase Bokeh transparency (works great with dark backgrounds)
    - Changed Bokeh animations (start earlier)
    - Moved Mod settings (including options from 1st mod) to own submenu in skin settings

To get the new buttons, copy the files included in the mod's media folder to the media folder in blur. Copy the files included in the 720p folder to the folder with the same name in blur to get the rest of the features.

Download the mod: (removed download due to an updated version below)

Screenshots:

Home1.png

Home2.png

ModSettings.png

NowPlaying.png

FanArt.png

The darker background is one of the backgrounds included in the Rapier skin, the blue one comes from reFocus.
  • unisonrussunisonruss Plex-Enthusiast Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,901 Plex Pass
    I love these new mods, thanks!
    edited March 2011
    Small update to the Mod available here (removed the old links, look above how to install): removed... see below for newer version

Will give you this:

Bildschirmfoto 2011-03-19 um 15.52.51.png

I probably will be updating this later (make search optional eg.)
  • friedflixfriedflix Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,995 Plex Pass
    I can't seem to select this skin, i get an "Incompatible Skin: we require skins of 2.00 or higher" error at the bottom of the screen when trying to select..
    Can I make a suggestion for the home screen - right column:

when you have a long list of PMS sections naturally some sections get cut off as you can only see 6 items at a time. Would there be any way to indicate that more items are present like an up or down arrow, or maybe show like half of the text so that people know there's more items available. Or how about fading out some of the items on the top and bottom so you can see more.

Also would it be possible to include an option to choose your own fanart to be displayed on the home page?
    cfriedberg wrote:

I can't seem to select this skin, i get an "Incompatible Skin: we require skins of 2.00 or higher" error at the bottom of the screen when trying to select..

You need jaaps' version of blur to get the mod running. Please take a look at the first post to see how the skin is installed. If you still have problems getting it to run, let me know an I'll help you.

marklight wrote:

Can I make a suggestion for the home screen - right column:

when you have a long list of PMS sections naturally some sections get cut off as you can only see 6 items at a time. Would there be any way to indicate that more items are present like an up or down arrow, or maybe show like half of the text so that people know there's more items available. Or how about fading out some of the items on the top and bottom so you can see more.

Also would it be possible to include an option to choose your own fanart to be displayed on the home page?

I'll look into that.
    sweet, thanks!

For me it's intuitive to just scroll down because I know there's more items than what're showed (since I'm the one adding new sections). But for other people that live with me I'm always gettings asked - where are the movies, or where is this section and I always have to just say, keep scrolling.
    edited March 2011
    Mr Power wrote:

You need jaaps' version of blur to get the mod running. Please take a look at the first post to see how the skin is installed. If you still have problems getting it to run, let me know an I'll help you.

my bad, thanks...rushed to install without reading. thanks again.
    Can I ask why the My Media list is limited to 6 items when for example the Settings Menu has 7? for me having search cuts off one of my library items...is there a way for me to enable a longer list?
    edited March 2011
    Updates (deleted previous versions above):

- Optional Search (see mod options)
    - Optional new naming scheme for homescreen items
    - Changed behaviour of items in "My Media": Will now display eight items and indicate when there are even more

Download: Blur Mod.zip
    Mr Power wrote:

- Changed behaviour of items in "My Media": Will now display eight items and indicate when there are even more

wow, you've been more much productive over the past hour or so than I've been. Thanks!

edited March 2011
    Mr Power wrote:

This new update is great! thank you so much for your hard work.
    EDIT: I mentioned that the search feature wasn't working- well neither is Plex connect, so I'm assuming this is server issue and not a skin one :-)

The only other request I have is to be able to define a source for home screen fanart, and to enable music fanart in the now playing visualizer - thanks again for this new features!