If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

server wont launch

gilco2gilco2 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Anyone else having problems. Plex server worked well then just stopped working. I uninstalled Plex server and have downloaded the very latest. Same problem nothing happens. Everything shows it has installed but it wont launch. Click on the icon and absolutely nothing happens. Running Windows 10 pro 64bit with all updates. AMD A8-7600 cpu 16GB ram

Answers

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,567Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited June 2016

Did you recently install a new application? Not an upgrade to the Plex server, I mean a different application?

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: Running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• gilco2gilco2 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

No new applications. This is used as server only so a bunch of disks with media files and home documents and apart from Plex no other applications installed.

Maybe I wipe the computer and use Windows Home Server 2011 or Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 see if that works

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,403Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

See if the Plex Media Server.log got written to on launch
    May be database corruption. Does the plex system tray icon disappear ?

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

will check log when get back home. No tray icon stays as is doesn't disappear.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,403Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@gilco2 said:
    will check log when get back home. No tray icon stays as is doesn't disappear.

OK

And if you load a browser on the server and go to url http://localhost:32400/web what do you see ?
    Are you able to view the library
    Settings / Server loads server settings ?

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

no nothing so have wiped and starting from scratch. Decided would be quickest way to get it working so can watch the media. Thank you for the help

• finninozfinninoz Posts: 6Members ✭✭

i have just d/loaded plex to computer. It will not launch program.
    have deleted and rebooted and re installed lots of times

@finninoz said:
    i have just d/loaded plex to computer. It will not launch program.
    have deleted and rebooted and re installed lots of times

Is this still happening?
    Does Plex Media Server.exe show up in windows task manager?
    What do you see when you open browser and go to http://localhost:32400/web ?

You can look for the logs - they would normally be in
    C:\Users\xxxxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Logs

@sa2000

hey mate, in answer to your question yes its is still happening.

I can see plex.exe in task manager
    localhost:32400 took me a logon screen which I logged on

and seem to have NO appdata\local etc

@sa2000

also I tried running as administrator through programfiles/86 etc
    still didn't launch

@sa2000
    ok had to show hidden files....

have found logs.. what do you look for?? haha
    im really average on computers

@finninoz said:
    @sa2000

Take a copy of the contents of the logs folder and zip and attach

Could you also check this registry area with RegEdit
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Plex, Inc.\Plex Media Server
    and see if there is a LocalAppDataPath field and if there is - what it is set to

You mentioned plex.exe in task manager - the server is actually Plex Media Server.exe

@finninoz said:
    @sa2000

I saw your note in the other thread where you found the answer
    http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1535631/#Comment_1535631