Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Documentation & FAQs

Chris CChris C Posts: 11,795 Plex Employee
edited June 2016 in NVIDIA SHIELD

Support Articles: Plex Media Server on NVIDIA SHIELD

Are both the 16GB and 500GB (Pro) models supported?
Yes! You can run Plex Media Server on both models. Note that there are some natural space-related limitations you might encounter on the 16GB model, which can limit things for you. Please see our support articles for more information. For the best experience, we definitely recommend using the 500GB Pro model.

Comments

• ArsenalArsenal Posts: 31 Plex Pass

For 100% clarity, the Server Data directory will never be able to be stored on anything other than the internal 16/500GB storage? Basically the 16GB Shield will never be able to use all the same PMS features (e.g. Thumbnail previews) as the 500GB model?

• fatboycarneyfatboycarney Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Further to the above question if adoptable storage is used on the 16 GB Shield as per the instructions found here http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4025/~/shield---increasing-your-storage-with-android-marshmallow
    Will Plex use the adopted storage for transcoding space? Thus allowing large files larger than 16gb to be transcoded on the 16GB Shield

Thx

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 4,447 Plex Pass

@fatboycarney said:
    Further to the above question if adoptable storage is used on the 16 GB Shield as per the instructions found here http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4025/~/shield---increasing-your-storage-with-android-marshmallow
    Will Plex use the adopted storage for transcoding space? Thus allowing large files larger than 16gb to be transcoded on the 16GB Shield

Thx

Yes, the transcoding directory is moved to the expanded storage area. However, you may find it's not necessary because I have a 16GB and I was transcoding full BD rips to three different devices at the same time and there were no complaints about it. You just have to try it out and see how it works for you. At a minimum I'm going to get at least a 128GB SD card and use it for internal storage because I tend to game on the Shield and I don't want the space eaten up that way.

• MALmenMALmen Posts: 35 Plex Pass

When i try to sync a bluray rip to my iphone i immediately get an error on the phone saying its less than 10GB free, and i have a 64GB sccard setup as interna storage.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 4,447 Plex Pass

@MALmen said:
    When i try to sync a bluray rip to my iphone i immediately get an error on the phone saying its less than 10GB free, and i have a 64GB sccard setup as interna storage.

Make a separate thread for this. It's not related to the documentation link.

This discussion has been closed.