Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

where is the plugin folder on the shield tv

petra1000petra1000 Members Posts: 2 Plex Pass
edited June 2016 in NVIDIA SHIELD

hello,

where do I find the pluggin folder on my shield tv?

thanks

petra1000

Best Answer

Answers

• faaaaqfaaaaq Members Posts: 85 ✭✭

How exactly are the Plex directories hidden? If we have Root access can we access them? My Shield is about the only Android device I havent rooted, but Id do it if it meant I could add the AniDB...

• heymoeheymoe Members Posts: 2

I'm having a hard time understanding why the PMS data folder and meta data location are set to internal storage only (even if you have adopted storage attached) where no one can access unless you have root I'm assuming which the average person won't have.

Why not do what Kodi, SPMC and I'm sure others do and use /sdcard/Android/data/com.plexapp.mediaserver.smb or /storage/self/primary/Android/data/com.plexapp.mediaserver.smb or whichever evaluated path to the same thing you want to use? I mean, you're already using it for the PMS cache directory.

This would give people the ability to tweak PMS like they can on other platforms, not have to deal with the limited storage for meta data that is being imposed right now due to the use of internal only storage on a 16g Shield TV box which also limits how much content you can have in your library, etc.. etc...

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 5,866 Plex Ninja

@heymoe said:
    I'm having a hard time understanding why the PMS data folder and meta data location are set to internal storage only (even if you have adopted storage attached) where no one can access unless you have root I'm assuming which the average person won't have.

Why not do what Kodi, SPMC and I'm sure others do and use /sdcard/Android/data/com.plexapp.mediaserver.smb or /storage/self/primary/Android/data/com.plexapp.mediaserver.smb or whichever evaluated path to the same thing you want to use? I mean, you're already using it for the PMS cache directory.

This would give people the ability to tweak PMS like they can on other platforms, not have to deal with the limited storage for meta data that is being imposed right now due to the use of internal only storage on a 16g Shield TV box which also limits how much content you can have in your library, etc.. etc...

You can add storage (external USB or SD set as internal storage, which replaces the 16GB internal space for most of what Plex does) to the Shield TV if you want to have media stored locally. It also adds transcoding space.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

Plex Dance

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: Running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• –MadLax––MadLax– Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

@kegobeer-plex, That's not what he's saying, we only want the 3party scanner and plugin folders in a location where we can add things like "Absolute-Series-Scanner" or "hama.bundle" and its seen by the server, after a server restart..
    And yes local meta can do for now, but wasn't necessary if there just edited the default path for those 2 folders..

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 5,866 Plex Ninja

This was brought up about a month ago and a ninja opened a ticket with the devs, so hopefully this will be changed in a future update.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

Plex Dance

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: Running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• heymoeheymoe Members Posts: 2

The inability for me to add needed 3rd party agents, channels for my setup and knowing that the size of my current PMS meta data directory would exceed the amount of free space on my Sheild TV's (16G version not Pro) internal storage where the Shield TV's PMS stores the meta data instead to the much larger adopted storage I have connected is preventing me to moving my PMS server to the the Shield TV. I was even planning on buying another Shield TV to run as a dedicated PMS server which I will still do if these issues are fixed.

• helvsmithelvsmit Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1

@heymoe said:
    The inability for me to add needed 3rd party agents, channels for my setup and knowing that the size of my current PMS meta data directory would exceed the amount of free space on my Sheild TV's (16G version not Pro) internal storage where the Shield TV's PMS stores the meta data instead to the much larger adopted storage I have connected is preventing me to moving my PMS server to the the Shield TV. I was even planning on buying another Shield TV to run as a dedicated PMS server which I will still do if these issues are fixed.

Same here.

• MetalSonic93MetalSonic93 Members Posts: 1

Actually, if you have root on your STV you can copy over and symlink the internal Plex Media Server folder to the Plex Media Server folder that gets created on the sdcard and install 3rd Party Plug-ins that way (just don't forget to set the file permissions on the symlink to the same permissions as the other files) .It's a hacky solution though. I used it to install WebTools and that works so far.

• castlesplexcastlesplex Members Posts: 40 ✭✭

Ok, I seem to be getting further with your solution. I can see the HD Homerun Prime plugin/channel, but it's sadly not yet working. Will keep hacking at it.

• Sa_Les_SkiSa_Les_Ski Members, Plex Pass Posts: 28 Plex Pass

Hoping to find a solution to this as well. I'd really like to add the Open Movie Database as an agent.

• KarlDagKarlDag Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,151 Plex Pass

I guess if Plex added more plugins to the official channel list (Trakt comes to mind) we could install then that way..

How can we add codecs to plex media server on Shield TV? It's rooted, so I just need to know where to put files. I'm thinking if I can get the AC3 codec onto the Shield TV it will start picking up the channels for encoding. Maybe something like this...

http://www.phonearena.com/news/How-to-restore-full-audio-codec-support-AC3-DTS-in-MX-Player-Androids-best-video-playback-app_id64435

Ok, I guess ignore that last post. I finally got the Plex Media Server to encode my video sample from the HDHR. It is still not working with HDHRViewer channel plugin, though.

• antonispgsantonispgs Members, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass

@hthighway said:
    See: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/221099648-Limitations-When-Running-Plex-Media-Server-on-NVIDIA-SHIELD

Manually Installing Channels or Plugins
    When running on the NVIDIA SHIELD, the Plex Media Server data directory is not currently user-accessible. Unfortunately, this means that it is not currently possible to manually install channels or plugins on the device. You can, of course, still install things through the normal Channel Directory.

Hello,
    This is not quite true as sub-zero, which is in the normal channel directory (whatever that is) refuses to work stating permission issues.

• spikemixturespikemixture Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,620 Plex Pass
    edited July 2016

Back to the original question - where does the actual plugins/database/etc hide.
    And yes I would like access so I can get my watched shows moved over - (until this happens Shield will not be my server)
    But my plex server folder on my pcs and NAS are around 100gb!.

Does that mean I need 100gb+ as internal storage - either a microSD or usb3.

Or is the Plexserver folder on my networked NAS where my media is stored?

Plex related : NAS Qnap TVS-1282, (Plex server & main storage) Synology 1817+ (backup Plex server & backup storage), 2x NUC (Skull i7 , i5), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shield Pros (backup Plex servers)(2017 and 2015)
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 pro and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick, 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I give MY opinion from MY experience!

So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

• andyblac1974andyblac1974 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,149 Plex Ninja

for now if i understand correctly, yes, so until plex release an update that allow us to set where we want the datastore to be located (if they will even allow that), that all you can do, that's why i bought the pro. But same as you until i can access the datastore, i will not be using shield as main server.

Server: Synology RS3617XS / RX1217 [INTEL Xeon E3-1230 v2, 32Gb RAM]
    Storage: 104Tb RAID6 (75.9Tb usable)
    Clients: Kodi Plex Add-on (Odroid's C2), LG Plex App. PMP (Mac). iPhone. iPad. Android TV. Web.

HRTunerProxy Enigma2 Plugin: Support / Setup Guide / Source files / Donate USD / Donate EUR / Donate Sterling

@andyblac1974 said:
    for now if i understand correctly, yes, so until plex release an update that allow us to set where we want the datastore to be located (if they will even allow that), that all you can do, that's why i bought the pro. But same as you until i can access the datastore, i will not be using shield as main server.

Hey Andy,

I am lost! Where do you think the folder is hidden?
    What I am saying is if it is on the local storage I will need more than 100gb

During my multiple attempts to get plex server working including 8 resets i saw now size increase in my local storage.
    The last time (about an hour ago b4 the latest crash) I had just finished getting the poster art for 667 Tv shows. I could find no size /space difference on the 64gb microsd card i was using this time.
    Surely that art work would have taken up some space.
    But ofcourse even the space used might be hidden !!

And if it is on my NAS with my media surely that is not ideal? Surely it would be slower across a network getting all that meta stuff (or doesn't speed matter during this bit of streaming? ) than on a local drive!

Plex related : NAS Qnap TVS-1282, (Plex server & main storage) Synology 1817+ (backup Plex server & backup storage), 2x NUC (Skull i7 , i5), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shield Pros (backup Plex servers)(2017 and 2015)
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 pro and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick, 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

• andyblac1974andyblac1974 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,149 Plex Ninja

@spikemixture said:

@andyblac1974 said:

Hey Andy,

I am lost! Where do you think the folder is hidden?
    What I am saying is if it is on the local storage I will need more than 100gb

During my multiple attempts to get plex server working including 8 resets i saw now size increase in my local storage.
    The last time (about an hour ago b4 the latest crash) I had just finished getting the poster art for 667 Tv shows. I could find no size /space difference on the 64gb microsd card i was using this time.
    Surely that art work would have taken up some space.
    But ofcourse even the space used might be hidden !!

And if it is on my NAS with my media surely that is not ideal? Surely it would be slower across a network getting all that meta stuff (or doesn't speed matter during this bit of streaming? ) than on a local drive!

think remember reading that it locked to the internal partition of the shield, i.e. not in the in extended SDCARD part. so imo thats why Nvidia only marketed the plex server to the PRO model as it vast amount more internal available.

Server: Synology RS3617XS / RX1217 [INTEL Xeon E3-1230 v2, 32Gb RAM]
    Storage: 104Tb RAID6 (75.9Tb usable)
    Clients: Kodi Plex Add-on (Odroid's C2), LG Plex App. PMP (Mac). iPhone. iPad. Android TV. Web.

HRTunerProxy Enigma2 Plugin: Support / Setup Guide / Source files / Donate USD / Donate EUR / Donate Sterling

Thanks Andy.
    If that is the case its probably why i get all sorts of problems after loading the plex server and scanning 20,000 episodes.
    But I have seen seen plenty of FAQ's asking about the 16gb version and all say it will work on that model as well