If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

SMB / NAS sharing info

kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
edited July 2016 in NVIDIA SHIELD

So, after working to get sharing up and running and reading what is posted on the GeForce boards, it looks like the Shield SMB needs some work to get various bugs fixed. So far:

1. You can't share any Active Directory machines. So, that means no Windows Server 2008R2/2012R2 right now.
  2. On the computer/NAS you want to connect to, create a directory that will be shared and make sure it has no spaces in it. Examples are: plex, plexmovies, my_movies. There seems to be a problem with any spaces in the root directory that will be shared on any sharing device, be it a PC or NAS. Directories inside the main share can have spaces.
  3. On Windows, when you share the directory you also need to set the permissions for it and add the specific user. It doesn't seem to work unless you do that.
  4. On Windows, under Advanced Sharing, make sure you have file and printer sharing enabled and also set HomeGroup sharing to "Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers."
  5. On Windows, you may need to create a local user for sharing. Give that user a password, because you cannot share in Windows with a blank password unless you edit the local security policy and enable that. Windows Live logins might not work with sharing on the local machine.
  6. The Shield has issues with some NAS devices, so if you have problems with usernames / passwords, it might not be you doing anything wrong.
  7. You do not need to and should not disable your Windows firewall. Windows shares are designed to work through the firewall. Disabling the firewall only adds to sharing problems.
  8. Transferring large files over SMB from a computer to the Shield is hit or miss. I have never had a single 20+GB file transfer successfully to adopted storage on the Shield TV. Every time the Shield locks up and then the adopted storage becomes unavailable.

An example of setting up a share on a Windows computer:

On the D drive, create a directory called plex. Inside that directory create your media directories, like movies, music, and pictures.

D:\plex
D:\plex\movies
D:\plex\music
D:\plex\pictures

Right click on the plex directory and enable sharing for specific people, then pick the user you created. Give the user full access. Then, right click on the folder and select properties, sharing, and advanced sharing. Click permissions and add the user you created. Give it full access.

Go to the Shield and try to set up a network share with that computer. If everything is working right, you can just click on the computer and enter your username and password. Then you can go to the Plex web app, create/modify a library, browse for media, and your share should be listed.

This is just what I've found. If you try something and it doesn't work, or you find another way to share, please post here so we can have a one-stop shopping place for setting up network shares.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

Answers

• seanhenleyseanhenley Posts: 13Members ✭✭

Can confirm it currently can't see shared folders with spaces...

I also have issues writing to the NAS shared folders, as shown with failed 'optimise' video tasks.
    Says "Converted files cannot be written to the disk".

This is despite read/write access enabled for the user connected to the NAS over SMB

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@seanhenley said:
    Can confirm it currently can't see shared folders with spaces...

I also have issues writing to the NAS shared folders, as shown with failed 'optimise' video tasks.
    Says "Converted files cannot be written to the disk".

This is despite read/write access enabled for the user connected to the NAS over SMB

NAS shares are read only so that's why it doesn't work.

Where are my log files?

Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• seanhenleyseanhenley Posts: 13Members ✭✭

Ah fair enough, that at least makes sense. Maybe there will be an option to store optimised videos on the shield itself?

• guyfredguyfred Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

i'd like to add that changing users rights doesn't refresh the actual listing of the folders available. You may need to disconnect and reconnect the shared resource to see the additional Folders to pop up.

• mullen1200mullen1200 Posts: 6Members Plex Pass

Kegobeer has done way too much research and work for this information to be swept under the rug. For gods sake lets keep this thread at the top of the forum at least. Anyone know someone of CONSEQUENCE that we can forward this information to? Im sure there are thousands of people out there just returning nvidia shields because they dont work as advertised.

• doctacartadoctacarta Posts: 77Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I had no spaces to begin with in my file path. I also had read/write on my folder. I tried to make a new user with full admin but I still can't see any sub folders.

My NAS is a synology DS212j / DSM version 6.0.1-7393 Update 1

Any advice?

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I wish I had some advice for you @doctacarta, but right now the SMB implementation is just terrible and not stable. Until the developers start replying to these posts and begin explaining the problems and solutions, we just have to wait and keep plodding along.

Where are my log files?

• doctacartadoctacarta Posts: 77Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Looks like I may have figured it out...Originally my NAS path was \Synology\X1\X2\Movies so when I mounted the synology through Nvidia settings, I only saw X1 folders along with not being able to see any size data. Now I essentially moved my Movies folder to the X1 level and I able to add my Movies folder through the PMS and it is picking up my content! Also, I can now see size data through Nvidia Shield settings > Storage.

Hope that helps!

• spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,332Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

My Media on my Synology is here
    Volume1/video/movies
    Volume1/video/TV
    etc

Inside those folders are the title folders then in them the mp4 file etc.
    e.g. volume1/video/movies/ABC (2016)/ABC.mp4

Finding that media folder while setting up Plex on my 16gb shield (about 10x) was always successful.

One of the few things that actually went smoothly!

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I give MY opinion from MY experience!

So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

I'd be even more pissed if I had a standalone nas that I paid a pretty penny for. Right now mine is just working through my EA8500 router. Worked great for a few days. I think there was an update that made it stop working, although I'm not certain.

Still awaiting fixes to most of these problems.

• gian18gian18 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Running the Plex server on the 16 GB shield with the shares on a NAS. Seemed like a great setup for the last month, but twice in the last week, while no one is using the Shield, it will disconnect from the PW protected NAS. I then have to go back into Shield Storage Settings and reenter the log in info. Needless to say this has significantly reduced the wife acceptance factor when she goes to work out with her videos at 5 AM and gets an error. Any advice for how to keep the unit logged in and or log in info saved?

• bradsourbradsour Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

My sources at one point were being found even though they were in subfolders. Now I come back to the shield and it has puked all over itself. All my tv recordings which I categorize by household members are only showing as folders with nothing in them. My movies all show up, but when I try to play it it says the file cannot be found.

This is frustrating!!

• bradsourbradsour Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I ended up finding this from user SterMouth over on the Nvidia forums. It worked for me.

_Hello, please find below how I resolved an issue I met with mount sharing between Shield Tv & NAS share mounting folders (Owner of synology)

-) Create a specific user (eg. Plex) without access to any folders (share access will be done later)
    -) In DSM synology => Usrs => Advanced : enable "homes" managment (usefull to have the "Android" folder built by the Shield)
    -) In the Shield TV, mount the network storage with your user (mine was Plex) with credentials
    -) Launch Plex to activate the server side if iot's not already done
    -) On your NAS, a point for me was to remove spaces from the share name folder
    -) On your NAS, add permission to your user to the shares folders (read & write for me but didn't checks with read only yet)
    -) Finally, restart the shield or disconnect the mount folder to reconnect with same user & credentials

No firewall changes for me, I use SMB 3 (no NFS)

These steps solve my problem, I hope it will help few people in my case.

Ps : A good idea could be to avoid garbage managment to your share folder or, at least, check the "Only admin access" option.

Regards,
    Ster_

• MelMicNLMelMicNL Posts: 166Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@gian18 said:
    Running the Plex server on the 16 GB shield with the shares on a NAS. Seemed like a great setup for the last month, but twice in the last week, while no one is using the Shield, it will disconnect from the PW protected NAS. I then have to go back into Shield Storage Settings and reenter the log in info. Needless to say this has significantly reduced the wife acceptance factor when she goes to work out with her videos at 5 AM and gets an error. Any advice for how to keep the unit logged in and or log in info saved?

Has this been resolved for you? I have the exact same problem.

• Trial_MasterTrial_Master Posts: 115Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is it possible to use NFS instead of SMB? This SMB fix seems to be a slow burn :(

• spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,332Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@mikkelnl said:

@gian18 said:

Has this been resolved for you? I have the exact same problem.

Both my 16 and pro crash regularly. I have plexpy telling me when they go down.
    And they do come back . It varies from 2 to 15 minutes between up and down!!

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I give MY opinion from MY experience!

So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

• stuarthughesstuarthughes Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Uncertain if this will help many users but my issue that looked like the issue described above turned out to be related to just one folder. This folder is very old and has been copied around many times so could have some strange permissions issues as it has moved machines and NAS drives.

Other folders were actually visible and able to be added to plex so i moved the content to a folder nvidea could see!

I will be revisiting this soon to update as necessary.

Where are my log files?

• AchillesAchilles Posts: 1,895Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@kegobeer-plex said:
    So, after working to get sharing up and running and reading what is posted on the GeForce boards, it looks like the Shield SMB needs some work to get various bugs fixed. So far:

1. You can't share any Active Directory machines. So, that means no Windows Server 2008R2/2012R2 right now.

Did you ever get this to work?