If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Very Buggy Plex Media Server release on nVidia Shield

bnlitinbnlitin Posts: 2Members

I've been running PMS on both a Windows 10 x64 machine and Synology 1815+ for a few years. All of my media is well organized.
I've been using the nVidia Shield 16GB as a media player for the past 6 months and was excited to try thew new Plex Media Server on Shield for one main reason: when transcoding using my Synology 1815+ I get occasional stuttering/slow down on high-bit rate files (it's not a problem for my Windows 10 x64 server)

I thought that nVidia Shield could solve the transcoding issue (with its quad core CPU) on the Synology (for large blu ray files).
I upgraded nVidia Shield to 3.2 and tried to setup Plex Media Server on Shield. At first, it seemed to be working but I was missing media files. Eventually, I figured out to use a web browser to setup the libraries. However, PMS on shield kept crashing and going offline.

I must have rebooted the Shield multiple times to try to get it started again. It starts up and then becomes non-responsive. I can switch to my Windows 10 or Synology Plex Server and those work beautifully well.

At this point, I think the PMS on Shield is non ready for prime time. I will be waiting for bug fixes. I don't have time to fiddle with constant reboots.

In addition, when the Shield reboots, it forgets the permissions to my external Synology drive. So each time it crashes, I have to re-enter all the login info for the Synology external NAS. What a pain!

Let's hope Plex can fix all of these issues soon.

«1

Answers

  • kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

    Good post. Can you provide server logs for the devs to review?

    Where are my log files?

    How do I properly name my media files?

    NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

    Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

  • distearthdistearth Posts: 82Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    How do get the server logs?

  • kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

    @distearth said:
    How do get the server logs?

    Check the link in my signature about support documents.

    Where are my log files?

    How do I properly name my media files?

    NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

    Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

  • andyblac1974andyblac1974 Posts: 1,081Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited July 2016

    i had similar issues as you, and to the point where the shield kept rebooting it self, in the end i performed a total data reset (took approx 2 hrs) and touch wood the shield and PMS have never run better, i think it maybe an issue with the upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2, but reset the shield and forcing it reinstall a clean 3.2, seem's to do something, maybe it worth a try for your self ?

    it has certainly helped me.

    Server: Synology RS3617XS / RX1217 [INTEL Xeon E3-1230 v2, 32Gb RAM]
    Storage: 104Tb RAID6 (75.9Tb usable)
    Clients: Kodi Plex Add-on (Odroid's C2), LG Plex App. PMP (Mac). iPhone. iPad. Android TV. Web.

    PlexDVRAPI Enigma2 Plugin: Support / Setup Guide / Source files
  • spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,335Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Yo Bnltin
    I have a very similar set up as you 1815+ but an i5 (and i3 ) Nucs as servers.

    My Shield just crashes every hour or so - a Dozen times that I have seen.
    Network share also drops
    And so does folder sharing.
    All in all useless.

    But Andy to the rescue - I am resetting all now and starting from scratch.

    I will report back with results

    Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

    I give MY opinion from MY experience!

    So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

  • grauwylergrauwyler Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    My server kept crashing during the initial scan of my libraries, and was also crashing a couple of times a day after the scans completed. Once I ran Optimize Database though the crashing stopped. This may or may not help you. Just food for thought. :/

  • distearthdistearth Posts: 82Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @bnlitin said:
    I've been running PMS on both a Windows 10 x64 machine and Synology 1815+ for a few years. All of my media is well organized.
    I've been using the nVidia Shield 16GB as a media player for the past 6 months and was excited to try thew new Plex Media Server on Shield for one main reason: when transcoding using my Synology 1815+ I get occasional stuttering/slow down on high-bit rate files (it's not a problem for my Windows 10 x64 server)

    I thought that nVidia Shield could solve the transcoding issue (with its quad core CPU) on the Synology (for large blu ray files).
    I upgraded nVidia Shield to 3.2 and tried to setup Plex Media Server on Shield. At first, it seemed to be working but I was missing media files. Eventually, I figured out to use a web browser to setup the libraries. However, PMS on shield kept crashing and going offline.

    I must have rebooted the Shield multiple times to try to get it started again. It starts up and then becomes non-responsive. I can switch to my Windows 10 or Synology Plex Server and those work beautifully well.

    At this point, I think the PMS on Shield is non ready for prime time. I will be waiting for bug fixes. I don't have time to fiddle with constant reboots.

    In addition, when the Shield reboots, it forgets the permissions to my external Synology drive. So each time it crashes, I have to re-enter all the login info for the Synology external NAS. What a pain!

    Let's hope Plex can fix all of these issues soon.

    I'm sending mine back. It's boxed and label printed...
    By the time the bugs are fixed, Shield2 will be out.

  • tjluallentjluallen Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I am seeing similar situations to the original post. Making matters worse, Zero of my VOB files will play from Shield Pro PMS, but play perfectly well from the Windows solution. Confirming I had no corruption issues, I tried VLC on the same files, they play, but have significant jitter. All content are on USB3 connected removeable storage that all play without issue from Windows PMS and Windows VLC. Probably give this about 1 week to see the bug fixes, then returning.

  • kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

    VOB files are not supported file types by Plex. You should not expect hardware and software to work with VOB files, especially when the specifications clearly state that.

    Where are my log files?

    How do I properly name my media files?

    NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

    Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

  • spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,335Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @spikemixture said:
    Yo Bnltin
    I have a very similar set up as you 1815+ but an i5 (and i3 ) Nucs as servers.

    My Shield just crashes every hour or so - a Dozen times that I have seen.
    Network share also drops
    And so does folder sharing.
    All in all useless.

    But Andy to the rescue - I am resetting all now and starting from scratch.

    I will report back with results

    OK clean install. Quite a bit of stuffing around getting my microsd as internal memory then my NAS as network storage. No random reboots, no network drops.
    Currently still downloading clipart etc. (20,000+ episodes and 2500+ movies)

    My shield won't be my #1 server until I can move my DB with watched shows.

    Until then plenty of playing and testing

    Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

    I give MY opinion from MY experience!

    So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

  • andyblac1974andyblac1974 Posts: 1,081Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited July 2016

    @spikemixture said:

    @spikemixture said:
    Yo Bnltin
    I have a very similar set up as you 1815+ but an i5 (and i3 ) Nucs as servers.

    My Shield just crashes every hour or so - a Dozen times that I have seen.
    Network share also drops
    And so does folder sharing.
    All in all useless.

    But Andy to the rescue - I am resetting all now and starting from scratch.

    I will report back with results

    OK clean install. Quite a bit of stuffing around getting my microsd as internal memory then my NAS as network storage. No random reboots, no network drops.
    Currently still downloading clipart etc. (20,000+ episodes and 2500+ movies)

    My shield won't be my #1 server until I can move my DB with watched shows.

    Until then plenty of playing and testing

    tip, do not touch shield whilst it scraping, btw if you get missing artwork for certain shows, just refresh that show, do then one at time, i know bit a PITA but worked for me, i have had 2 full bluray RIPS transcoding to iPad's, also whilst direct steam a 4k HEVC movie to main TV. but web playback is very bugging to me, it is hit and miss if it starts to stream, so just remember that when testing.

    also graphical subtitles do not work, it will not transcode them, srt sub seem fine, but only when direct played, again it has trouble try to transcode with subtitles.

    Server: Synology RS3617XS / RX1217 [INTEL Xeon E3-1230 v2, 32Gb RAM]
    Storage: 104Tb RAID6 (75.9Tb usable)
    Clients: Kodi Plex Add-on (Odroid's C2), LG Plex App. PMP (Mac). iPhone. iPad. Android TV. Web.

    PlexDVRAPI Enigma2 Plugin: Support / Setup Guide / Source files
  • spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,335Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    tip, do not touch shield whilst it scraping, btw if you get missing artwork for certain shows, just refresh that show, do then one at time, i know bit a PITA but worked for me,

    Hey Andy,

    I have hundreds of poster art missing for movies and TV shows.
    Refreshing individually or as a group doesn't work.

    I can goto tvdb for shows but that will take forever

    I have all the art on my windows plex DB but we know moving that to the shield is a way off.

    Any other suggestions?

    Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

    I give MY opinion from MY experience!

    So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

  • andyblac1974andyblac1974 Posts: 1,081Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited July 2016

    @spikemixture said:
    tip, do not touch shield whilst it scraping, btw if you get missing artwork for certain shows, just refresh that show, do then one at time, i know bit a PITA but worked for me,

    Hey Andy,

    I have hundreds of poster art missing for movies and TV shows.
    Refreshing individually or as a group doesn't work.

    I can goto tvdb for shows but that will take forever

    I have all the art on my windows plex DB but we know moving that to the shield is a way off.

    Any other suggestions?

    how are you refreshing ?, i open tvshows view, and on the missing show poster the 3 dots at the bottom right click on it and choose refresh wait for it to say finished, before doing the next one, it can be slow depending the number of episodes in the show.

    ps whats up with uploading file to this section it does not work for me, i was gona show a screen shot, but can't

    Server: Synology RS3617XS / RX1217 [INTEL Xeon E3-1230 v2, 32Gb RAM]
    Storage: 104Tb RAID6 (75.9Tb usable)
    Clients: Kodi Plex Add-on (Odroid's C2), LG Plex App. PMP (Mac). iPhone. iPad. Android TV. Web.

    PlexDVRAPI Enigma2 Plugin: Support / Setup Guide / Source files
  • spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,335Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Thanks Andy,
    I am too impatient. As I have added thousands of files . i need to let optimize finish and refresh finish. i am picking up more art now..

    Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

    I give MY opinion from MY experience!

    So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

  • jdbrookesjdbrookes Posts: 454Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @spikemixture said:
    My shield won't be my #1 server until I can move my DB with watched shows.

    You could use the trakt plugin, and a trakt.tv account, to first synchronise your #1 server with trakt.tv, then sync this on your shield server. They will continue to be in sync on a schedule as well. trakt.tv syncing is great for this kind of thing. However it is only really practical for a single user; if you have lots of users then unfortunately you're stuck.

  • andyblac1974andyblac1974 Posts: 1,081Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

    @jdbrookes said:

    @spikemixture said:
    My shield won't be my #1 server until I can move my DB with watched shows.

    You could use the trakt plugin, and a trakt.tv account, to first synchronise your #1 server with trakt.tv, then sync this on your shield server. They will continue to be in sync on a schedule as well. trakt.tv syncing is great for this kind of thing. However it is only really practical for a single user; if you have lots of users then unfortunately you're stuck.

    yup, like me :(

    Server: Synology RS3617XS / RX1217 [INTEL Xeon E3-1230 v2, 32Gb RAM]
    Storage: 104Tb RAID6 (75.9Tb usable)
    Clients: Kodi Plex Add-on (Odroid's C2), LG Plex App. PMP (Mac). iPhone. iPad. Android TV. Web.

    PlexDVRAPI Enigma2 Plugin: Support / Setup Guide / Source files
  • spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,335Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    How do I get trakt.tv plugin to the shield?

    Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

    I give MY opinion from MY experience!

    So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

  • spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,335Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Well another day of loading metatags and art . Like 14 hours!!

    Until it crashed

    Right now I am, looking at the android boot logo over and over again gets to optimizing 16,17,or 19 of apps then back to the coloured balls again.
    No this time black screen waiting waiting nothing.. now back to the balls . This is about the 8th time..
    Have unplugged and rebooted - same result.

    Now hard reset time. Very very sensitive and stupid - after 10 ( yes 10 tries) finally got to formatting stage.

    I will update tomorrow if I haven't thrown it out the window!!

    Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

    I give MY opinion from MY experience!

    So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

  • spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,335Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I'm backkkkkk. So after my 2nd hard reset in 2 days I am again setting up my shield to be my plex server.

    Firstly I notice a different version of plex server which I updated. The shield then rebooted.

    Next trying to make my 128 microSD my internal memory. It took at least 5 minutes to format - then rebooted. Still no option to make it internal - Asked to format again - So here we go.
    Now rebooting again

    There must be a eject or reboot or some hiddens process to get this working - but I can't find it!

    Meanwhile my network connection dropped so will have to set that up yet again!.

    I am trying 'ejecting' the SD card now - waiting waiting - 5 minutes is long enough - nothing

    I cannot find the option to make my microsd internal - All it does is reformat and I end up at the same place.

    Woops another random reboot !!! WTF?

    Well at this stage I am giving up on making my SD internal - something is not working as it should

    Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

    I give MY opinion from MY experience!

    So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

  • spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,335Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 2016

    And how do I get trakt on my shield?

    Not that it matters - I have just hard reset for the 4th time.

    This time google play services stopped and pulling plug only option.
    After 6-7 reboots got to the place where i could reset - so hence #4.

    Latest reset - now Plex media server will not start - well in setting it says "stopped' and will not change to running.
    YET on PC tv shows are being added while it is "stopped"
    Ok just changed to always "allow insecure" and it change to running right in front of my eyes !!!

    Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

    I give MY opinion from MY experience!

    So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.