Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

reFocus for Plex - Grainy Edition v2

se.bastianse.bastian Plex EmployeeMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 487 Plex Employee
edited February 2011 in Refocus
Let's discuss about it here.
Hello again.

The little adventure that began here, went finally a bit further than originally planned. For those that didn't follow, it's not important nor that interesting, you can skip the following, but for those that did and wish to know what happened in the last few weeks, here's how it went.

We got something cooked up with Damon, something that even really worked, in quest to integrate a theme in reFocus. It was a hack, and i was kind of worried about its hacky nature all the time, but hey, it was fun. But as time passed, i simultaneously kept modifying Grainy Edition up to a point where we had to question it's justification within the official skin out of respect for the work of those that have created it and made it what it is today. That, and the fact that Grainy Edition had really become something of its own. I mean, it's not a revolution, just an evolution towards how i saw it in my mind. It's still totally reFocus as heart, just... a little different. So that made up for a lot of things in favor of separating the two in the end, and going in parallel ways. This allows for Damon to maintain and develop the official version on sane basis, and for me to do my thing, whatever that is going to be. And in the end, for the end user there's not really that much difference anyway; instead of choosing a theme inside a skin, you'll just change the skin.

Now, i know that i kept saying exactly the contrary before (that i preferred a theme inside a skin), but honestly that was before i went through the skin and tweaked just about the whole thing. I never saw that coming, persuaded as i was in the beginning that i'll just throw the little mod package on the forum and leave it at that. I guess i got a little obsessed with "finishing it". So that's that. We made the decision together, had the same sentiment over it, and have conversed on regular basis since. I consider this to be a win-win for everybody.

I'd like to thank Damon in passing, and of course Jeroen who created the skin originally, and El Massman who ported it to Plex. I hope that this will not be considered a heresy by the purists...

So let's go.

So it's a complete skin. It's on gitHub. And it's available. I consider it to be ready for full use. Everything video should be perfect. Music (audio) should be more than usable. More obscure stuff will get dealed with as i learn their existence. Report here whatever comes to your mind, be it bugs, funky features (those i love), love or hate notes, anything really. I'll try and reply and fix things. Understand that i've tried (really, really tried) to verify that everything's perfect, but it's more than probable that things have slipped by me that need to be fixed. And so i'd be grateful if you took the time to report the issues you might have so that they can be fixed for everybody's enjoyment. Thanks in advance...

I will not present every screen here, nor list everything that has been done, sorry. But here are the main screens, and some new things that deserve to be presented. The screenshots are very compressed, so the quality is not the same as in reality. I hope you'll try it and discover yourself the rest...

19/02/2011 : Updated the screen caps to reflect the actual state of the skin.

Home screen :

16713432.jpg

Home screen with "Now Playing" widget :

57869174.jpg

Thumbnails view :

71030348.jpg

List view :

30099524.jpg

Detailed info view :

03bf.jpg

TV Show banner view :

60115360.jpg

Big list view for TV Show episodes :

92690831.jpg

TV Show names showing if you pass by "Recently Added"/"Aired" and such.

19729877.jpg

Video player controller :

66789005.jpg

iTunes "Playlist Now" view :

98139319.jpg

And dozens and dozens of other little things all around.
Some options have been deactivated, others have been added, and yet some others have been grouped together.

I'll try and list future changes, bugs, concerns and such in the message below, and keep it at least somewhat updated along the way.

So there you go. You'll find always the latest version in Preen, the skin manager/downloader for Plex. Install it from here : Preen

Or if for any reason you wish to get Grainy Edition directly from gitHub and install it manually, it's here : https://github.com/gitSebastian/reFocus-for-Plex-Grainy-Edition

As always, please do comment if you feel like it.

Thanks again everybody.
Sebastian.

Comments

• se.bastianse.bastian Plex Employee Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 487 Plex Employee
    edited March 2011
    Updates :

- 05/03/2011

- courtesy of anasazi who provided the files : added tv studio flags for "Nordisk Film", Pan Vision, "France 3" and "Jarowskij". Thanks anasazi.
    - another big media flags update courtesy of gedoode
    - fixed the homescreen fanart slideshow showing furtively before the personal slideshow loads, if personal slideshow is set.
    - fixed the different behavior in slideshow options between the new and legacy modes, they should work in identical manner now.

- 23/02/2011

- a big media flags update, courtesy of degoode, you can see the thread and voice your appreciation here. Thanks gedoode!
    - added an option to hide ratings in Big List episode view. Available in "Big List" "View Options".
    - modified a little the background of the focused item in Big List episode view for better readability of the plot.
    - added a "Quit Plex" function in the home left-side menu "Exit" item; clicking "Exit" quits Plex.

- 21/02/2011

- fixed the "studio flags debug" window showing elsewhere than the list view
    - courtesy of anasazi who provided the modified file : fixed the morning startup overlay that had a wrong translation for the swedish language
    - courtesy of anasazi who reported : fixed the following studio flags : Carolco Pictures Inc, Samuel Goldwyn Films, Film i Väst, Fox Searchlight Pictures, Warner Bros. Pictures
    - fixed the following studio flags : Gaumont Buena Vista International (GBVI), Universal Pictures International, PSO International, Sony Pictures Releasing, Goldwyn Films, Columbia TriStar Films, Canal Plus

- 20/02/2011

- a big media flags update courtesy of gedoode :

- Audio Channels
    - Video Frame Rate
    - Content Rating for US/AU/FR/NL/DE/UK

- fixed the localized Content Rating flags not showing.

- 19/02/2011

- modified the font presentation for the selected item in "List" views for a more unified look.
    - fixed the "advance bar" in the music visualization single cover view showing the grey bar.
    - legacy mode : swapped "Plex Online" (now visible permanently on the second level menu) and "Plug-Ins" (now optional on the first level menu).
    - legacy mode : integrated a very minimalist home screen "weather now" under the time and date if the menu item "Weather" is visible (optional). The weather menu item previously showing "weather now" is deactivated (didn't seem to work correctly), it now just takes to the full forecast page.
    - legacy mode : added an automatic fade of the home screen left-side menu after 20 seconds of idle time.
    - reintegration of the "intermediate settings category window" for a more universal experience.
    - legacy mode : as default the main home menu is showing only the media libraries, and all the other entries are permanently visible in the second-level menu. Options are available in the skin settings to show individually "iTunes shortcuts", Favourites", "Applications", "Weather" and/or "Plug-Ins" in the main menu instead of the secondary level. Nothing is hidden at any time anymore, it's only optional to show them on the first or secondary level for convenience.
    - integrated an option for "studio flags debug" in "List" view (movies and tv shows) that shows what the flag name should be. It can be found and activated in the skin global settings under "Grainy Settings".

- 17/02/2011

- fixed the media flags not showing in the "full info" window if they were turned off in the optional view options.
    - fixed the plot showing in small case in the "full info" window even if the setting was not on.
    - deactivated the ability to access or exit the left-side home menu via "right" click, for consistency. Now to access the menu, you click "left", and to get out of menu you'll click "left" as well.
    - moved the "exit" options at the last/bottom position in the left-side home screen menu.
    - modified the black background overlay behind the local settings window.
    - replaced the screenshots for "Programs" and "Plex Online" with a text entry until something better comes up.
    - added a fade-out animation for the "pause/seek" window (audio and video) for smoothness.
    - added a slide-out animation for the "player controls" window (audio and video) for smoothness.
    - modified the "video player technical infos" ("i") background to fit the other info windows.
    - deactivated the "List" view in tv show seasons level, as it didn't really look nice in there.
    - unified the appearence of the Plex settings screens with the new global settings style.
    - added an option to hide "Genre" in the "big thumbnails" video library view.

- 12/02/2011

- modified the "Photos" section; it now has only two views available : "List" view (in the "new List" style) and "Thumbnails" view (a modified thumbnails view optimized for photos)
    - fixed the photo view info window unreadability issues
    - fixed the home screen personal slideshow settings, where deactivating slideshow would only toggle between fanart and personal slideshow but not deactivate it
    - fixed readability issues in the "select personal slideshow folder" dialog window
    - deactivated the "flip" animations. All the page animations are now more or less identical everywhere (but will be further unified still).

- 11/02/2011

- fixed the scrollbars not working in some views
    - integrated optional scrollbar in the new "List" view

- 10/02/2011

- added options to hide "Plex Online", "Programs" and "Favourites" menu items on home screen menu.
    - moved home screen "View Options" to the bottom of the menu.
    - moved the "Weather" settings under the "Settings" menu item on home screen.

- 09/02/2011

- fixed ratings still showing at some places regardless the off setting. The only place where it now shows by default (and is not optional) is the new "List" view where it's part of the view structure visually.
    - fixed the year overlapping the album name in some music views.
    - fixed the plot in video info screen not respecting the correct "small case/normal case" setting.
    - fixed a small graphical glitch in video info screen.
    - fixed somewhat the barely readable keyboard keys in the keyboard dialog window.
    - modified the selected list item background in certain dialog windows for better visibility.
    - removed a duplicate iTunes shortcuts setting in legacy settings screen.
    - fixed the plug-ins sub-menu that showed nothing in legacy mode
    - fixed the "Now Playing" screen not showing the same progress bar when flipped
    - media tags "Frame Rate" and "Audio Channels" and "Content Rating" are deactivated until nicer ones can be found

- 08/02/2011

- fixed the main settings menu showing "menu options" even when there are no options available
    - fixed the main settings menu not showing available fanart options
    - fixed the main settings going to iTunes when clicking on some menu entries
    - fixed the iTunes icon showing in strange places when no icon is available (but for now no icon is showed when none is available)
    - media flags in "slide" view are repositioned flush left side to the text above
    - favorites entry in new home menu is a little more explicit now
    - fixed "rating" not showing up correctly depending on settings
    - added "poster.tbn" HD poster code in the "List" and "Full Info" views. They need to be in the same folder than the media, and be called "poster.xxx". Order of precedence : ".tbn", ".png" and ".jpg".

- 07/02/2011

- the incremental versioning is abandoned, it will remain simply "reFocus Grainy Edition" from now on.
    - the player controls are entirely redone.
    - the dialog windows are redone.
    - return of the old schema of info windows in media player; pause window, controller window and "full info" window are separated.
    - the "on screen notification" works.
    - all local option menus are redone, and integrated in an "instant access" logic.
    - all local view previews and settings are integrated in these new menus.
    - the original "Big List" view is gone, replaced by the "New Big List" that becomes simply "Big List".
    - a new list view replaces the old simple list view in media Libraries. It is derived from the "New List" view introduced before in all other views. As a result, this list view becomes "List", and the old "List" is gone everywhere.
    - the logo "reFocus for PLEX" is redone in text.
    - integrated HD posters in "Full Info" ("i") and "New List Video" views; if "poster.png" or "poster.jpg" exists in the movie. folder, it is used instead of the low quality thumb from the PMS. If BOTH "poster.png" AND "poster.jpg" exist in the movie. folder, "poster.jpg" takes precedence.
    - all media library views use "background" tag to supposedly load images in the background. In theory this should lessen lagging experienced until now. In reality ? No idea.
    - media tags "Frame Rate" and "Audio Channels" and "Content Rating" are integrated (they are pulled from the PMS).
    - bookmarks video should work correctly now.
    - normal case (captalized) text for media titles and descriptions is now default. If you so wish, an option to use only small case is available in the main settings panel.
    - "first letter offset scrolling indicator" is off by default. If you so wish, an option to activate it is available in the main settings panel.
    - Big List and Slide views integrate the duration for tv show episodes.
    - fixes and overall crispness and prettiness.

- 20/01/2011

- legacy mode : fixed the strange overboarding list glitch where, if the list of items in the menu was longer than the list's visible size, the bottom selected item was always hidden.
    - legacy mode : readjusted the menu height and centered everything.
    - legacy mode : fixed the longer background not showing when weather is activated on the menu.
    - legacy mode : activated the shortcuts for iTunes, identical of those in the new home menu.
    - legacy mode : created a parallel menu for Programs, Exit and all the Settings entries, accessible with the left button. This leaves the most important and most used entries more visible on the main menu. Toggle back to main menu with right button. This means that if nothing optional from the Settings is selected to be shown in the main menu, it shows only the media library entries.
    - legacy mode : the logo "reFocus for Plex" is now at the same position for both modes for uniformity. The legacy menu "recenters" dynamically in vertical depending if the logo is shown or not.
    - the "Now Playing" widget on home screen in Copperfield mode is now hidden when focus is on the left side menu.
    - font is brought to the same size than the page titles.
    - added a little transparency to the selected item to smoothen the visual.
    - cleaned up a little the Settings section. The options that are shown should all work, are differentiated and visible dynamically for both menu modes (legacy or new) depending what is available for which.
    - added the logo for "CBC", it should show up now.

- 19/01/2011

- fixed the missing reFocus logo from the home screen when in legacy menu mode. It's shown on the right bottom corner to not interfere with the legacy menu.
    - fixed (deactivated) the visible Copperfield mode "Now Playing" widget when in legacy menu mode.
    - introduced a proper "Now Playing" widget for the legacy menu mode, on the right side of the screen. It is on by default.
    - fixed the missing "next playing" album cover when it is from the same album in the new "Now Playing" widget.
    - fixed the "New Big List" focused item background showing when in "full info" screen.
    - fixed the "full info" screen page title overlapping with library page label.
    - the page title sizes are reduced a little and the font is in corrected aspect ratio.
    - have in general looked into page labels, everything should be working correctly now.
    - the animations in thumbnails views are simplified and unified and offer no more extra options.
    - added logos for "itv1", "itv2", "prosieben" and "channel 4", they should show up now.
    - added an option for deactivating the "first letter offset scrolling" (the alphabet that shows in left upper corner when scrolling fast a library) for library views. For those who wish to continue to use it, the page titles now dynamically leave place for the indicator when scrolling starts, allowing for correct readability.
    - in the new mini video info bar, the information auto scrolls if it's longer than space available.
    - the mute notification has been modified a little to better blend in with the rest of the GUI.
    - the music seekbar has been modified for better readability, the information auto scrolls if it's longer than space available.

- 18/01/2011

- animations in "New List" view greatly reduced.
    - modified the "New List" selected section for better readability everywhere
    - "Playlist Now" prettyfied, includes a "Now Playing" thingy
    - iTunes backgrounds changed.
    - fixed the both (audio & video) overlay information overlapping with time and date.
    - fixed the album cover art bad display in the classic "Now Playing" screen.
    - fixed the missing "Music" plug-in entry under the "Plug-Ins" in left side home screen menu.

- 17/01/2011 : v2.2

- Grainy Edition is available in Preen
    - Plug-Ins, Programs, Plex Online and the intermediary video category windows have a new default view type introduced, called the "New List", which aims to replace the old "List" view type. It is configured as the default view for all those windows. The old list view will still remain available during the transition period. The "New List" view is intended for all applications, plug-ins and music sections. The "Photos" section will be further reworked in the future for better navigation and use.
    - iTunes shortcuts menu option for the left side Home screen menu has been integrated. If the option is activated, the shortcuts appear as a second-level menu, and include "Playlists", "Artists" and "Main" which goes to the main iTunes window for full navigation. Also, when music is playing it dynamically adds two additional shortcuts; first to the currently playing playlist, called "Playlist Now" (so as not to confuse it with the similarily called "Playlists"), and a second to the classic "Now Playing" visualisation screen.
    - "Playlist Now" view has been slightly prettyfied, and will be further reworked in near future.
    - a little, minimalistic eye-candy "Now Playing" thingy has been integrated on the Home screen. It's only activated with the option "Copperfield mode" on, as it is placed on the left side of the screen where the legacy menu is, and turns on automatically when music is played. To see it, turn off any visualisation in Plex Audio Settings, make sure that the "Copperfield mode" is activated, and play music. You'll maintain the possibility to access the classic "Now Playing" screen via the iTunes shortcuts.
    - fixed the missing transparency in few other control windows where it was forgotten, there are surely still some left.
    - made the focused background in the New Big List fixed, it just looks better.
    - some other little fixes and tweaks.

- 14/01/2011 :

- reintegration of the "fullscreen info" window (keyboard "T") in a very minimalistic version. It's only to show the most critical information that could be wanted during watching media. Also, a light transparency has been added to both info windows to soften their appearance.
    - fixed the missing "scaled aspect ratio" posters in list view.

- 13/01/2011 : v2.1

- all posters in all views have been rescaled to a strict ratio of 1.5. This is the "official" consensus for what a poster ratio should be, and better scaling and respect of correct aspect ratio has been achieved overall everywhere.
    - an option for stretching posters has been finished, in case you should experience problems with the default mode of scaled posters (images cut top & bottom, or left & right), and is available in the Extra Grainy Settings screen. The use of this option is not recommended unless you should experience problems with the proper scaling of posters. When activated, it will use stretching to fill the poster frame, showing the whole image no matter it's size or real aspect ratio.
    - fixed missing show names in front of episode names in "list" & "slides" views when passing via "recently aired" etc listings.
    - home slides menu now wraps. Not in perpetual loop, but it starts over after the last item. So it doesn't change anything visually, but permits of not having to return to the top of the list by repeating "back" if you have a lot of library categories.
    - fixed the plot outline or tag phrase showing up in the middle of the movie information in "full info" ("i") view.
    - a new left side Home menu option called the "Copperfield mode" has been introduced in the Home Menu Settings. It does a 100% fade of the left side menu on the home screen. When in use, press left button (just as you would normally) to activate and show the menu. Not yet available for "only legacy menu" (no slides) mode.
    - a new "Extra Options" left side menu for video views has been introduced. It allows for further customization of user experience independently for each view. It's for now has been integrated to both Thumbnails views and both Slides views, and can be found when in the "Select View Type" menu in each view. Further integration for other views and more available options are in development.
    - some other little tweaks here and there.
  • DavisNLDavisNL Members, Plex Pass Posts: 666 Plex Pass
    edited January 2011
    Great job with the skin!

Edit - Looks like my adblock plugin was interfering with the download popup.
  • TearJacKTearJacK Members Posts: 62
    edited January 2011
    just one thing, when you use the legacy main menu thingy
    is it possible to "remove" , Exit, Setting and Plugins to hide and show when pressed left arrow on the keyboard? prettyplease?

oh, and btw love your version of Refocus!
    Really love the skin, so first of thanks for putting the time in on this. I did notice a few things that might be worth changing...

- Is it possible to wrap the section banners on the main menu screen?

- Can we bring back the reFocus logo on the main screen?

- Can we bring back the option to view the settings menu?

- I love the fact that the "big list' option for TV shows doesn't wrap, but it really looks odd with that blank space on top. I'm not sure what could solve that, I just thought it was worth mentioning.

- Can we bring back the "next" selection for changing views.
  • sandman4suresandman4sure Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 792 Plex Ninja
    Love the new version! Great job!

But there are some things I hope you can bring back:

- don't show all the icons in slide view (only rating and resolution) and put the company logo back next to the text (it just looks so good at the original place)
    - I miss the reFocus logo on the main screen :(
    - the settings menu
  • supercollidersupercollider Members, Plex Pass Posts: 43
    Very nice details. Keep up the good work!
  • MartinAylaMartinAyla Members, Plex Pass Posts: 848 Plex Pass
    Great work Sebastian :)

1. Will you consider making a View for Apple Movie Trailers (there isn't a view in reFocus right now, that shows the movie posters correctly)?

2. Will you make some different "themes" to choose from (colors for the grainy backgrounds etc.)?

Looking forward to further updates!

/Martin
  • se.bastianse.bastian Plex Employee Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 487 Plex Employee
    Thanks everybody for your kind words & such a quick feedback.
    I'll try and address here the issues raised.

TearJacK wrote:
    when you use the legacy main menu thingy is it possible to "remove" , Exit, Setting and Plugins to hide and show when pressed left arrow on the keyboard?

This is a pretty good idea that i hadn't even thought about, thanks for that, and gave me another idea at the same time. I'll see what can be done.

joecan wrote:
    - Is it possible to wrap the section banners on the main menu screen?
    - Can we bring back the reFocus logo on the main screen?
    - Can we bring back the option to view the settings menu?
    - I love the fact that the "big list' option for TV shows doesn't wrap, but it really looks odd with that blank space on top. I'm not sure what could solve that, I just thought it was worth mentioning.
    - Can we bring back the "next" selection for changing views.

1. That's a valid idea, i'll see what can be done.
    2. Done. Please update. I really get that people wanted to get it back, and i'll admit that i took the easy way out on that one, since i never kept it activated myself and found it to be a little distracting with the more subdued grainy background. But it's reFocus, and if for nothing else than for respect towards the original, it's now reintegrated. I did tone it down just a notch though (it was just too bright against the rest). Sorry for that.
    3. Done also. I never quite "got" that screen, and thought it just stood out as the odd one from the rest of the skin, so... But it doesn't hurt the rest (as it's an option), so for those that wish to use it, it's back.
    4. This was a deliberate design choice. I started out with the first item on top, but it just didn't work. When you have only a few items (2/3) on the screen, and they disappeared one after the other by the top... It was not in balance. I found it sad. And then after trying and using this solution, i find it today perfectly logical to my sensibilities. And it leaves some breathing room to the space around it, and the background images. Please give it a try, and some time, and then tell me again how you feel.
    5. I'll see what can be done, but i seem to remember i had an issue with it, which was why i did it. Will get back on that.

- don't show all the icons in slide view (only rating and resolution) and put the company logo back next to the text (it just looks so good at the original place)
    - I miss the reFocus logo on the main screen :(
    - the settings menu

1. Please don't hate me for this, but i'm not sharing this opinion. I'll try to explain; reFocus has a nice choice of different views (that are really different, and all nice in their own merits), and this is the only one that lists the flags by it's conception (it has adequate space for that at the bottom). i did ponder on the endless choices and options that users want, but you really need a coherent whole and not everything can always be optional. What i mean is that if some of the flags were to be deactivated, that space would be just as lost. So from there it's rather a question of "do we show flags there, or do we not show any flags there ?". I thought it was nice to have one view (and it is the only one of them all) that showed the flags because it can. The others do not have the space for that. I hope you'll agree that i have tried and cleaned as much of the interface clutter as is possible in all the views, and put everything in balance, so that they have a natural flow. And in this view i just find it more in harmony with the flags there. As honest curiosity; do you find them really that distracting ? The explanation for the studio logo is pretty much exactly the same, it just is more in balance with the others, i find. Please do tell if those issues remain as bothersome to you after some use.
    2. Done. See above, and please update.
    3. Done as well.

Very nice details. Keep up the good work!

That's kind, thanks.

Martin wrote:
    1. Will you consider making a View for Apple Movie Trailers (there isn't a view in reFocus right now, that shows the movie posters correctly)?
    2. Will you make some different "themes" to choose from (colors for the grainy backgrounds etc.)?

1. I have no idea what can be done or not, but its noted. Will look into it.
    2. This might be an idea, although not maybe for tomorrow. Noted as well.

Hope that answers at least somewhat your questions. Please download the latest version to update.
    Thanks again for the feedback, and keep it coming.

Sebastian.
    se.bastian wrote:

1. Please don't hate me for this, but i'm not sharing this opinion. I'll try to explain; reFocus has a nice choice of different views (that are really different, and all nice in their own merits), and this is the only one that lists the flags by it's conception (it has adequate space for that at the bottom). i did ponder on the endless choices and options that users want, but you really need a coherent whole and not everything can always be optional. What i mean is that if some of the flags were to be deactivated, that space would be just as lost. So from there it's rather a question of "do we show flags there, or do we not show any flags there ?". I thought it was nice to have one view (and it is the only one of them all) that showed the flags because it can. The others do not have the space for that. I hope you'll agree that i have tried and cleaned as much of the interface clutter as is possible in all the views, and put everything in balance, so that they have a natural flow. And in this view i just find it more in harmony with the flags there. As honest curiosity; do you find them really that distracting ? The explanation for the studio logo is pretty much exactly the same, it just is more in balance with the others, i find. Please do tell if those issues remain as bothersome to you after some use.

Thanks for the fixes. I'll download your update. You should try to get this skin in Preen for easy updating.

As of the flags, the original creator of this skin (Jeroen) had in mind that he only wanted to show the flags that will make you decide to watch a movie.
    All the other things would be available in the info screen. I agree with that and showing all the flags will be too much distraction of the nice clean view.
    Also, the studio flag is way different than the normal flags (they all are made to look simular). Plus now you have an empty space on the left.
    I think for the looks it just fits better on the old location.

As of the flags, the original creator of this skin (Jeroen) had in mind that he only wanted to show the flags that will make you decide to watch a movie.
    All the other things would be available in the info screen. I agree with that and showing all the flags will be too much distraction of the nice clean view.
    Also, the studio flag is way different than the normal flags (they all are made to look simular). Plus now you have an empty space on the left.
    I think for the looks it just fits better on the old location.

Duly noted. I promise to give it a fresh new consideration shortly. Thanks for your honest opinion, it is always appreciated.
    se.bastian wrote:

Duly noted. I promise to give it a fresh new consideration shortly. Thanks for your honest opinion, it is always appreciated.

Thank you!

I found a small bug in the info screen.
    If there is a tagline, it overlaps:

Plex-20110112-171647.jpg

I found a small bug in the info screen.
    If there is a tagline, it overlaps

Cool, thanks for catching that.
    It's fixed and will be included in the update to come within the next 24h, as i'm working on something else to be finished for it as well.
  • Scott and MistyScott and Misty Members, Plex Pass Posts: 31 Plex Pass
    I love your take on this skin. This solved a lot of my small gripes with the original version. Thanks so much for all your hard work.

Just a small tweak to consider (not even sure if it's possible). In the pause screen, if it's possible to make the grainy background *slightly* transparent I think it would look drastically better. Right now the solid block looks a little harsh (I think because it changes the aspect ratio of the image when it pops up).

Just a thought. Thanks again.
    edited January 2011
    Add me to the list of people wanting the studio logos back in their original location. As well regarding studio logos, could you add them back to the bottom of the big thumbnail view, across from the title and genre. I know it seems like it's unnecessary, but it really helps to balance the way the screen looks.

Also, could we get back the info functionality while playing video. Right now the only way for me to get episode/movie info, or more importantly the time, is to pause what I'm watching. The info button on my Harmony remote doesn't do anything now.

There also seems to be a problem with posters being blown up, so that the tops are being cut off... and we make the effect we see when the thumbnail is selected an option?

As for my earlier, suggestions... thanks for replying so quickly. Keep up the great work!
    scottu wrote:

I love your take on this skin. This solved a lot of my small gripes with the original version. Thanks so much for all your hard work.
    Just a small tweak to consider (not even sure if it's possible). In the pause screen, if it's possible to make the grainy background *slightly* transparent I think it would look drastically better. Right now the solid block looks a little harsh (I think because it changes the aspect ratio of the image when it pops up).
    Just a thought. Thanks again.

Thanks for the compliments scottu, you're too kind.
    I'll test if something nice can be achieved with transparency, but i'm honestly not too sure about it. In practical terms, it's exactly the same size as the old info screen (although, admittedly, bigger than the old pause screen of course), which had no transparency and that i found to be more harsh in looks. But like i said, i'll have a look at one moment. Keep the critics coming, and don't worry about nitpicking. It's the details that are important.

joecan wrote:
    Also, could we get back the info functionality while playing video. Right now the only way for me to get episode/movie info, or more importantly the time, is to pause what I'm watching. The info button on my Harmony remote doesn't do anything now.
    There also seems to be a problem with posters being blown up, so that the tops are being cut off... and we make the effect we see when the thumbnail is selected an option?

1. There are things that i'm torn about. And this is one of them. But it has been noted, and i will try and see what could be done.
    2. It's not a bug, it's a feature; all the posters are scaled (instead of being stretched). I was sick and tired of seeing my beautiful posters deformed beyond recognition, and decided on a ratio of 1.4 to be respected in frames for the posters, and that they are to be filled scaled. The result, as a lot of the posters downloaded are badly cut, is that some parts go beyond, but the scale is respected (no deformed faces or such). It also depends on the ratio that you use to watch Plex on. On a true 16/9 ratio screen as Plex scales to fullscreen things should be pretty much perfect (at least i did find so, the 1.4 ratio is a nice compromise for correct posters), but once you watch on something not 16/9, yep, some cutting happens. This is bound to have an effect not similar but just as annoying even if you use stretched images, just instead of cutting a deformation is going to happen. I personally do prefer to have some of the image cut instead of it being deformed. But i did consider that it might not be how everybody prefer their posters, and so a setting was prepared to deactivate the scaled mode and return to using stretched images, but it was not completed in time. I'll try and get it done as well for the next update which should be within 24h.
    And what is the effect you mean about the thumbnail when it's selected ?

Sebastian.
    edited January 2011
    se.bastian wrote:

Thanks for the compliments scottu, you're too kind.
    I'll test if something nice can be achieved with transparency, but i'm honestly not too sure about it. In practical terms, it's exactly the same size as the old info screen (although, admittedly, bigger than the old pause screen of course), which had no transparency and that i found to be more harsh in looks. But like i said, i'll have a look at one moment. Keep the critics coming, and don't worry about nitpicking. It's the details that are important.

1. There are things that i'm torn about. And this is one of them. But it has been noted, and i will try and see what could be done.
    2. It's not a bug, it's a feature; all the posters are scaled (instead of being stretched). I was sick and tired of seeing my beautiful posters deformed beyond recognition, and decided on a ratio of 1.4 to be respected in frames for the posters, and that they are to be filled scaled. The result, as a lot of the posters downloaded are badly cut, is that some parts go beyond, but the scale is respected (no deformed faces or such). It also depends on the ratio that you use to watch Plex on. On a true 16/9 ratio screen as Plex scales to fullscreen things should be pretty much perfect (at least i did find so, the 1.4 ratio is a nice compromise for correct posters), but once you watch on something not 16/9, yep, some cutting happens. This is bound to have an effect not similar but just as annoying even if you use stretched images, just instead of cutting a deformation is going to happen. I personally do prefer to have some of the image cut instead of it being deformed. But i did consider that it might not be how everybody prefer their posters, and so a setting was prepared to deactivate the scaled mode and return to using stretched images, but it was not completed in time. I'll try and get it done as well for the next update which should be within 24h.
    And what is the effect you mean about the thumbnail when it's selected ?

Sebastian.

1. I'm not really sure what you're torn about regarding the info pop-up. This seems like a fairly standard feature to have, and it was there, prior to this v2 update, so I don't really know why you took it out.

2. I guess that makes sense, but I'm using a 16:9 display and I'm seeing an awful lot of mutilated artwork. I'm gonna try and change some of them to see if I'm getting the cutoffs with other posters. I'll report back tomorrow.

EDIT - I've just ran through a bunch of changes, and you're right, correctly sized posters do show up better using the new method. However, and this is based on 10 random movies in my collection, I think the vast majority of artwork Plex finds has been cropped to the narrow type and only about 2/10 are the wider ones you prefer. Some movies don't even have any option for the wider posters. I completely understand the change now, but I guess I'll be forced to use the old option, once you get the update done. The tops & bottoms being cutoff posters is just too distracting to me.

3. There's some sort of graphical "flourish" when you select a movie or TV show/season. I get why it's in there, but it's not synced up with the artwork expanding out well enough for it to look good, IMO. I'd prefer an option to turn it on/off.
    joecan wrote:

1. I'm not really sure what you're torn about regarding the info pop-up. This seems like a fairly standard feature to have, and it was there, prior to this v2 update, so I don't really know why you took it out.

2. I guess that makes sense, but I'm using a 16:9 display and I'm seeing an awful lot of mutilated artwork. I'm gonna try and change some of them to see if I'm getting the cutoffs with other posters. I'll report back tomorrow.

3. There's some sort of graphical "flourish" when you select a movie or TV show/season. I get why it's in there, but it's not synced up with the artwork expanding out well enough for it to look good, IMO. I'd prefer an option to turn it on/off.

1. This is true. Noted.

2. The best way to check for true ratio is to try and compare within minimized (windowed) Plex, and fullscreen. It's the windowed mode that sets the standard, it's 1280x720 (16/9). If in windowed mode you have "mutilated" artwork, meaning more than a few percent of cuts either on top & bottom, or left and right, then yes, it's a problem. I decided on a ratio of 1.4 for the posters for a compromise, but it really should be 1.5. But given the screen estate, the zooms, the different sizes and cuts in different posters etc...
    But like i said, the option to use stretched posters will be in the update, so hopefully each will find their compromise.

3. I get that everybody likes their thing like they like it. I'm just not sure if it would be humanly possible to make everything optional. This was one of the reasons i wanted to try and simplify stuff, clean the screens, offer unified settings, grouped options... And maybe add some discreet touches of flourish (or annoyance, this is always a matter of taste) here and there. I mean, the original reFocus is everything you have been describing, it is simple and beautiful in it's own right. No unnecessary gimmicks. It's just that Grainy Edition is a little different. Now don't get me wrong, i really enjoy debating the validity of such or such decision, and every opinion is important because every opinion is right, this is nothing but subjective visions of how we wish to perceive reFocus. But to have options for every change that has been made from the original will just turn it back to the original. And there's already the original that does it better. This is the point that i'm having difficulties to grasp. And i'm honestly curious as to why i don't seem to understand it. Be it the seek/info screen, a moved icon from here to there, a graphical flourish addition, i didn't think it would be such a difference. But only... different.

But hey, more power to the people, and i'm already on some "optionalizing" stuff, so like i say, all the concerns have been noted.
    And of course, keep them coming, i really do appreciate all this feedback. If we agreed on everything, that would be boring...
  • ericmatthysericmatthys Plex Employee Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 3,182 Plex Employee
    Just wanted to say it looks great and hopefully someone has worked on getting this added to Preen. It makes it so much easier. :)
    se.bastian wrote:

3. I get that everybody likes their thing like they like it. I'm just not sure if it would be humanly possible to make everything optional. This was one of the reasons i wanted to try and simplify stuff, clean the screens, offer unified settings, grouped options... And maybe add some discreet touches of flourish (or annoyance, this is always a matter of taste) here and there. I mean, the original reFocus is everything you have been describing, it is simple and beautiful in it's own right. No unnecessary gimmicks. It's just that Grainy Edition is a little different. Now don't get me wrong, i really enjoy debating the validity of such or such decision, and every opinion is important because every opinion is right, this is nothing but subjective visions of how we wish to perceive reFocus. But to have options for every change that has been made from the original will just turn it back to the original. And there's already the original that does it better. This is the point that i'm having difficulties to grasp. And i'm honestly curious as to why i don't seem to understand it. Be it the seek/info screen, a moved icon from here to there, a graphical flourish addition, i didn't think it would be such a difference. But only... different.

I'm not trying to come off as if I know better, I'm just making suggestions. To be honest, my preference would be for reFocus to merge back into one skin, but that is not my decision. If it's your vision that Grainy do it's own thing, thats completely up to you, and as a fan of the work you've done I can't do anything but support that decision. I too am of the opinion that changes to reFocus are needed, so I'm not opposed to all change, and I understand that making everything an option is probably not the way to go either.

That said, I still think the studio icon reverting to its old position, as well as appearing at the bottom in the Big thumbnail view, helps the look of Grainy. It balances the screen. Regarding the flourish when the thumbnails expand on selection, it's not that I think it's annoying... it's just not synced up with the expansion of the artwork. If it were synced a little better, if the flourish coincided with the actual expansion of the thumbnail better, it would probably look great. My preference is still for this particular thing to be an option, but it's your skin... you're the one working on it so I leave that decision to you. I really don't want my suggestions to make you think I'm being ungrateful, because I'm very thankful for the work you're doing.

As for the original doing it better, I don't think you should discount the work you've done. I bet there are a bunch of people that prefer the old style, that would love some of the tweaks you've come up with to appear in the original.
    joecan wrote:
    I'm not trying to come off as if I know better, I'm just making suggestions.

And this is exactly what i appreciate and ask for. I sincerely hope i didn't give the impression that i took your suggestions negatively. I try and go to great lengths to explain each time (and not only with you, but with everybody) my point of view, precisely in the hope of conveying a neutral tone but of my opinion nevertheless. If and when i should fail at that at times, believe me it's not intentional. I'm a fervent end user myself who believes in having all the power to decide how to use my product, but i'm also a hopeless clutter hating "less is more" advocate. So it's always about an equilibrium very delicate to juggle with. At the same time, yes of course you should have a choice and the power to decide, and at the same time, no i'm not going to fill the Settings screen with endless scrolling options listings of which half are incomprehensible for common mortals. That, and the fact that sometimes one just thinks he/she has come up with something good and wouldn't wish to change it. And lastly, as a follower of "less is more" cult, i also believe that too many options can kill a good thing (but "too many" is not a fixed number so no clear rule in this). But... compromises are a heavenly thing, and i think we're about to find a way to get at least halfway there. I'm about to get the update released, and to stress that i valuate all the opinions i'd ask you to tell me yours once you've tried it.

On the same subject, and just as an example; your reporting about the deformed posters. I honestly thought that i got the aspect ratio thing nailed down the first time, but went back to inspect it again after our exchange. And it turns out that i had not nailed it at all. It was not good. And so i modified all the posters in every view to respect the absolute 1.5 ratio in scaled mode, and it's an obvious improvement. At the same time it gives just a tad more breathing room for the posters (which now are a bit more narrow), and there you have it. I was wrong and you were right. I have no problem with that and thank you for bringing this to my attention even though i initially thought otherwise.

So don't stop voicing your opinions, you or anybody else. I try and look into everything that is of concern.