Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Server unavailable when SHIELD sleeps

listjr1listjr1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 20 Plex Pass

Getting PMS set up on the SHIELD has been a total nightmare for me. Hours of set-up required and I'm still not quite there. After countless times disabling/re-enabling the server, signing in and out, un-installing/re-installing updates, I have finally been able to find the server on my network long enough to get my library imported and set up. After disconnecting and re-mounting my network storage several times, my video files finally no longer say "unavailable" in my client apps. After manually setting static IP addresses, and setting up port forwarding on my router, I'm finally able to see the server outside of my network. (P.S. I have servers also set up on a WD MyCloud and a Windows 10 PC. They were both plug-and-play and I've never had any issues.) I like the idea of the SHIELD because it's a happy medium. The MyCloud can't transcode, and the PC is very power-hungry so I don't leave it on. I like that the SHIELD should be able to handle transcoding and be always available, which leads to my final issue/question.

The issue that I'm having now is that the server seems to become unavailable when the SHIELD sleeps. Isn't it supposed to run even during sleep? Otherwise, what's the point? Is anyone else running into this?

This seems like a very buggy release. Very uncharacteristic of Plex.

Answers

• popcornawesomepopcornawesome Members, Plex Pass Posts: 26 Plex Pass

I am here just to share a shoulder to cry on. I am EXACTLY in the same boat as you, but haven't messed with remote access yet as I need to pass the same hurdles first. The other day Plex magically SAW my Shield server and I thought I was home free. Nope. I had mild success last year with Plex server on a PC. This Shield/PLEX marriage needs immediate attention while still on the honeymoon.

• darkgroovadarkgroova Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

Same problem here, a restart of the shield tv fixes the problem temporarily, however when the shield TV goes to sleep for more than an hour or so, server is reachable but content shows an unavailable mark, frustrating.

• washboard101washboard101 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

It's my understanding that the Shield needs to be running (i.e. set to never sleep) to serve content. I had similar issues to those described and after setting the Shield to never sleep the issue was resolved.

But even when I wake the Shield TV up from sleep the content still shows unavailable on all clients including the Plex on the Nvidia shield itself, as mentioned befor I'll have to restart the Shield TV to have it working again, besides all that, I remember reading the Plex notes says the server on the Nvidia shield tv will be reachable when the device is in sleep mode, that was one of the key features that made it an attractive option for a Plex to so many.

• André.JeAndré.Je Members, Plex Pass Posts: 239 Plex Pass

Could you please explain what you refer to as sleep mode? Do you simply mean that the green LED is off? If that's sleep mode for you it should work without any issue (it does for me). The downside is, that the fan still spins all the time.. I am ok with that as it isn't noisy but before I got a shield "sleep mode" meant fans off for me..

• slowmoeslowmoe Members, Plex Pass Posts: 172 Plex Pass

My Plex Server is still accessible and able to access my mounted NAS when it's in sleep mode (not powered off). If you power off the Shield TV it's off off. You're not going to be able to access anything.

edited September 2016

@André.Je said:
    Could you please explain what you refer to as sleep mode? Do you simply mean that the green LED is off? If that's sleep mode for you it should work without any issue (it does for me). The downside is, that the fan still spins all the time.. I am ok with that as it isn't noisy but before I got a shield "sleep mode" meant fans off for me..

Yes indeed when the green light goes off, this happens automatically if the Shield tv is not used for several minutes, when my universal remote powers off the system, my shield is sent to sleep/ hibernation mode, whatever mode allows it to be accessed by network, i should also mention i don't have this problem with Kodi for android accessing content on my synology network drive.

• m.winm.win Members Posts: 1

I too have this issue and it is sooo annoying... Plus, when I want to transfer files from my PC to my external hard drive (a MyBook from WD) and want to plug it back to the Shield, I sometimes need to plug and replug several times because it shows "unavailable" on my content... And I'm afraid that doing that, that might damage my hard drive...

Is it a software issue or a hardware issue ?

Is it because of the Shield or Plex ?

Does anyone else know what the problem may be?

• listjr1listjr1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 20 Plex Pass

My guess at this point is that it is an issue with Nvidia's software. The SHIELD doesn't seem to be able to keep my NAS mounted. As others have mentioned, restarting the SHIELD seems to re-mount the drive, but eventually it disconnects again and all of my content shows as unavailable, or the server just can't be reached at all. I also find that the ability to access SHIELD folders from a PC randomly deactivates itself.

What storage method are those of you that are also having this problem using? I have a WD MyCloud. I don't know if the problem is specific to WD, or if it's network storage in general... I'm thinking about moving a bunch of media onto a USB 3.0 drive just to experiment with mounting storage directly.

• gian18gian18 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

@listjr1 said:
    My guess at this point is that it is an issue with Nvidia's software. The SHIELD doesn't seem to be able to keep my NAS mounted. As others have mentioned, restarting the SHIELD seems to re-mount the drive, but eventually it disconnects again and all of my content shows as unavailable, or the server just can't be reached at all. I also find that the ability to access SHIELD folders from a PC randomly deactivates itself.

What storage method are those of you that are also having this problem using? I have a WD MyCloud. I don't know if the problem is specific to WD, or if it's network storage in general... I'm thinking about moving a bunch of media onto a USB 3.0 drive just to experiment with mounting storage directly.

Seconding the above postulation. Super frustrated user here as well, bought the Shield to reduce power use and wear and tear of always on PC for Plex serving. Works like a charm until it started constantly disconnecting from the WD MyCloud where all the media is stored. I have to manually remount the drive multiple times a day. Would be really nice to get some feedback from an actual employee acknowledging the problem and letting us know they are working on a fix......

• gian18gian18 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Please unmark this topic as answered!

• gregg098gregg098 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 41 Plex Pass

I have the same issues. When PMS first came out, I had a few hiccups, but it mostly worked, asleep or not. I have a Synology NAS that my media is stored on and it always seemed to stay mounted. I was also hardwired into a gigabit connection.

In the last few weeks, I had to move my Shield due to a remodel and its now on wifi. Been nothing but issues since. I have the server unavailable problem when the shield goes to sleep. If I push a button on my control to wake it up (TV still off), the server is seen again. Then in the last week or so (new update??), the server stays available, but all content constantly shows as unavailable. A power cycle doesn't seem to fix this and only turning on the TV its connected to and doing a manual restart from the menus seems to work.

I have tried both 2.4 and 5 GHZ wifi with no differences.

Something else I tried was to set the shield to never sleep. Not ideal, but it keeps the server available all the time. Now I can actually use it more, but the content still shows as unavailable at least once a day forcing a restart.

Hoping for a fix soon.

• icculus479icculus479 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Same exact issue here with my QNAP NAS. All the media becomes unavailable after it goes to sleep, but only within the Plex app on the Shield itself. Remote still works and amazingly enough if you use the voice command and find someting on your plex server and play it from that way in, it works.....but if you go back to plex and try to play that same exact media...it's unavailable. So to me, this points at the Plex App being the bug, not the shield.

• seancojrseancojr Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass
    edited September 2016

@listjr1 I can't say that I have run into this issue yet but there is something I may have done differently. When I first decided to use my Nvidia SHIELD as a home theater and NAS unit, I enabled Developer Options and set the SHIELD to "Stay Awake".

Here are the steps to do it:

Go to 'Settings' > [Device] 'About'.
    Scroll down to select 'Build'.
    Repeatedly select 'Build' (up to 7 times).

After seeing the notification that you are now a developer, go to 'Settings' > [Preferences] 'Developer Options' and enable 'Stay awake'

• emisary@gmail.comemisary@gmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 31 Plex Pass
    edited November 2016

Sorry to wake up this issue.
    But I am having the same issue.
    The Shield is connected to a Qnap. Via an ethernet cable.
    Probably around 23:15 am loosing the connection. And that daily.
    It does not matter if I bring the Shield into sleep mode, or wether it turns into sleepmode, it stops connecting 23:15.
    If I put the shield in sleep at 23:00 it looses the connection 15 minutes later.
    Or when I put the Shield at 23:30 at sleep, the next day at 23:15 it looses the connection.
    Wondering where it goes wrong. And it sounds like a timer.

I have the pro.

By the way, did the stay awake option work?

RobB

edited November 2016

Double post...

I am going to place the Shield into a different timezone, and hope that the resetting is going with it.
    So I can conclude that the issue is on the Shield and not on my Nas or network.

• gregg098gregg098 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 41 Plex Pass

Interested to hear what you find out. I haven't had mine go completely offline in awhile, but I still get the media unavailable note every now and then.

I have an addition.
    I have changed the timezone of my Shield.
    Standard GMT+1 and I changed it to GMT +3.
    Guess what. The Shield could not get access to the Qnap anymore, 20:15 my time or 23:15 Moscow time.
    I get the idea that there is a time-triggering issue.
    Not sure which.

RobB