If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Media Server + PlexConnect on RaspberryPi: Match made in heaven (so far)

fantafanta Posts: 7Members ✭✭

I'm not that much of a forum poster but i have to get this out:

thank you for making plexconnect!
I have set up PMS on my raspberry but still was searching for a good way to access my media (did not want to use Raspbian) through apple-tv and now PlexConnect has finally saved me from throwing everything out of the window.

With the proper setup (i am still fiddling a bit) it seems to be the most easy way to access my movies and tv shows with very little clicks and pretty solid performace!

i still have a few things to figure out, but so far i really love it.

if anybody has any questions regarding the setup, let me know

Answers

• Bluman56Bluman56 Posts: 1Members

@fanta said:
    I'm not that much of a forum poster but i have to get this out:

thank you for making plexconnect!
    I have set up PMS on my raspberry but still was searching for a good way to access my media (did not want to use Raspbian) through apple-tv and now PlexConnect has finally saved me from throwing everything out of the window.

With the proper setup (i am still fiddling a bit) it seems to be the most easy way to access my movies and tv shows with very little clicks and pretty solid performace!

i still have a few things to figure out, but so far i really love it.

if anybody has any questions regarding the setup, let me know

Could you give a rundown on the steps you did to setup PlexConnect on the same OS (which would that be btw) as PMS is running on.

• nguyendjnguyendj Posts: 2Members

In my mind:
    1.Raspberry Pi (raspbian os) runs PMS and plexconnect
    2. Apple TV (mine gen 3) install certificate and change DNS
    Question:
    1. Which is latest Apple TV firmware can run?
    2. Complete guide to install plexconnect on raspbian

• moody_bluemoody_blue Posts: 2,777Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited October 17

Please note that RasPI has limited power for transcoding, therefore you are limited to using codec H264 for video, AAC or AC3 for audio (using AC3 implies that you need a Dolby Digital capable TV or amplifier, the ATV3 will not convert AC3 to AAC), and in case you need subtitles they must be .srt external (probably other sidecar subtitles will also work but I've never tested).

Regarding your questiosn:
    1. PlexConnect runs on 7.2.2, which is the latest firmware for ATV3
    2. Install guide for Linux

QNAP TS-253A 4G QTS 4.3.3.0229 + PMS 1.9.3 + QPython2 2.7.12.0 + PlexConnect 0.5-dev-230417

TV Sony KDL-32V2500 (720p) + aTV3 Rev. A firmware 7.2.2 + Denon AVR-1604 A/V Receiver 5.1 + Harmony Touch

Portables 1x iPad4, 2x Android phone, 1x Android tablet, 2x PMP

No support via PM unless requested by me