If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Not Working

theboyfrosttheboyfrost Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Have just set this up, not really working for me. Anybody had much luck ?

I can browse into my library but as soon as i click on artist or playlist 99% of the time it just says it cannot connect to the server. Occasionally i do get a list back though.

If i search in the search box for an artist they are found and displayed slightly more often, but wholly unreliable.

Cant wait for it to be working properly though. It might just make me stay with Plex Pass !

Answers

• NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Posts: 3,736Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Par for the course with Plex, release a 'must have, killer feature' that doesn't work. It is after all a 'beta' that we are testing for them. Too limited in functionality, why would I want to connect my Sonos to Plex when I have access to all of my iTunes Playlists.

Come on Plex, get your core products working first before releasing yet more buggy software.

Oh, and I can't get it to work either!

Regards

Rasplex/OpenPHT is maintained by a team of volunteers, donations are gratefully received. Why not make a donation now: rasplex.com

"Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it."
  • d.andrewsd.andrews Posts: 93Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 2016

For someone who proudly sports Ubuntu and Debian logos in your sig you come off as a hypocrite talking about buggy software

• EricJilotEricJilot Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I get a little further, I can actually add items to the Sonos Queue. However everything that I add returns with "Unable to play '<>' - Unable to connect to Plex."

• mattc2mattc2 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same problem as theboyfrost (thanks for post) and would be interested in any thing we could try. Looking forward to using it

Thanks

• timczertimczer Posts: 1Members

I am having the same issue. I can get the song to the queue but then it can't play and can't connect to plex.

• TheVMasterTheVMaster Posts: 42Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue over here. I can queue the song, but it won't play. The songs are playing correctly through the Plex webinterface, so it's not the song that is making trouble :)

• theshedparkavetheshedparkave Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Exactly the same here, seems fine via web interface, looks fine in sonos, but all songs fail with the warning:

_"Unable to play '<>' - Unable to connect to Plex." _

btw, delighted this connection now seems close, been waiting for a way around Sonos ancient file number limit....

• aseradynaseradyn Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same same. I can browse my library, queue up songs, and then... no dice. One after another, through the whole album or playlist, I get a repeated message that it can't connect to the Plex server. The same songs play fine, from the same location, over DLNA.

If it matters, I'm set up with Plex server on a PC, but files hosted on a NAS that is mapped as a drive.

• gramsarangramsaran Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@aseradyn said:
    Same same. I can browse my library, queue up songs, and then... no dice. One after another, through the whole album or playlist, I get a repeated message that it can't connect to the Plex server. The same songs play fine, from the same location, over DLNA.

If it matters, I'm set up with Plex server on a PC, but files hosted on a NAS that is mapped as a drive.

Same setup here and the same experience. No actual playback.

• SnowrunnerSnowrunner Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 2016

Same problem. Can browse, but when it plays either I get no audio at all and it just keeps "chugging along" without any sound or I get the "can't connect to server" message.

Now, Plex or Sonos problem?

EDIT: Should add the whole Plex stuff is on a QNAP, no problem using the Sonos controller to play music via the network share.

• john.steerjohn.steer Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same. Connects to sonos, browse library but cannot play. I'll be excited when it does work.

• steve00932steve00932 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same problem. Again, great to get this in the features. Hope it works soon. will monitor to see if anyone actually gets it working and how!

• Ethan IvesonEthan Iveson Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yet again Plex, you make me do more troubleshooting, I'm beginning to find out my life is based around troubleshooting... similar situation for me, i can navigate the library and it comes up as a device on my server but no playback :( but we are on day one... i will try and see if i can find a work around, but the Plex/Sonos guys must have got it working otherwise they wouldn't have posted that lovely email update.

• WilhelmStrokerWilhelmStroker Posts: 1,617Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I quickly set this up this morning and had no issues getting playback to work, but my music collection and Plex server are on the same OpenMediaVault box.

• thesiggthesigg Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi, I had the same problem of 'can't connect to server'. Switched the remote access to use a Manual specific port, added the port forward in my router and everything started working. I am on my home network. Maybe this will help people get connected.

Love Plex and love Sonos. So happy :-)

my music server and plex are on the same Drobo

• jsanzojsanzo Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

thesigg, your solution worked for me. Thank you.

@thesigg said:
    Hi, I had the same problem of 'can't connect to server'. Switched the remote access to use a Manual specific port, added
    the port forward in my router and everything started working. I am on my home network. Maybe this will help people get
    connected.

as thesigg said, i have a manual port set in remote access of the plex settings, then set up port forwarding on my router (as well as mac-serversing the relevant IP no.)

And it now works!

I use a virgin media hub 3.0 and this page helped me with setting that up

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Plex-issues/td-p/2843392

thanks to all!

• TheVMasterTheVMaster Posts: 42Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@thesigg said:
    Hi, I had the same problem of 'can't connect to server'. Switched the remote access to use a Manual specific port, added the port forward in my router and everything started working. I am on my home network. Maybe this will help people get connected.

Already use the 'Remote Access' setup, family can stream movies, series and music from my Plex without any issues....