Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Does it do gapless playback?

Stewie GriffinStewie Griffin Posts: 232Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Question's in the title

Answers

• elspankdogelspankdog Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Crossfade works for me. Appears to be gapless without as well.

• AffraeAffrae Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 26

I am finding that I get a second or so of the previous track repeated - it isn't the last second of the track, I haven't exactly figured out how far back the second of repeated music is.

• virgiliomivirgiliomi Posts: 47Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sonos will usually start buffering the next song when there's ~20 seconds left in the current song, allowing for gapless playback regardless of the service. As long as the files being played have been properly encoded with no silence at the beginning or end of the track, all should be well.

On the issue that you're experiencing, Affrae, I believe it's something about tracks being transcoded and a buffer on the Plex server side that isn't being properly cleared between tracks. Can you confirm the format, and if lossless the resolution and sample rate, of the tracks you're playing?

Of course, with no Plex developers seeing this, it's not likely to get fixed in the short term.

• AffraeAffrae Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 26

Hi @virgiliomi !!

The tracks are m4a ALAC files. Ripped in iTunes from CD. PLEX watches the iTunes folder.

I do this because I also use Apple Music and iTunes Match while out and about. Apart from Apple Music added files, my iTunes and PLEX libraries are thus in sync.

If I need to play Apple Music added files, I use the Apple Music app on Sonos. But if I want access to CD Quality originals, I use the PLEX app in Sonos. Does that make sense?

Hope this helps.