We will be performing plex.tv database server maintenance starting 22:00 Pacific Time on Wednesday, June 28 (05:00 GMT, June 29). It is expected to last ~1.5 hours. See http://status.plex.tv/incidents/c1t6djj5vq9r
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sonos, music playing - No activity in Plex

Falken92Falken92 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Hi!

I just started using Plex via my Sonos system, and I noticed that I cannot see any activity in plex. Music activity is shown if playback is done via the Plex app on both Android and iOS. The same goes for web-playback.

Is this Sonos-related? Or, can activity monitoring be added for Sonos as well?

Answers

• virgiliomivirgiliomi Members, Plex Pass Posts: 52 Plex Pass

I just checked, and noticed the same thing. The server status does not show any activity when Sonos is playing music from the Plex server, all other clients register.

• wwwizzarrdrywwwizzarrdry Members, Plex Pass Posts: 187 Plex Pass

Hopefully it's a known issue and they'll fix it in an upcoming patch.

• terveerterveer Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Any news on this?

• michaelyorkmichaelyork Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass
    edited December 2016

+1 to this, would love to be able to see if music is being transcoded.

• wwwizzarrdrywwwizzarrdry Members, Plex Pass Posts: 187 Plex Pass

Poor Plex, Inc. They've gone for such massive market penetration to reach so many devices/consumers that they will inevitably alienate them all by not being able to support any of their features properly or timely.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,171 Plex Employee

The Sonos app uses a different set of APIs for playback then the rest of the Pelx clients, so it is not possible for PMS to track what's going on with the Sonos app. It is a limitation of the way the app communicates with PMS.

• jjrossjjross Members, Plex Pass Posts: 362 Plex Pass

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    The Sonos app uses a different set of APIs for playback then the rest of the Pelx clients, so it is not possible for PMS to track what's going on with the Sonos app. It is a limitation of the way the app communicates with PMS.

OK, so can we get the APIs changed so that the playback shows in the Plex Server? Do I need to open a feature request?

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,171 Plex Employee

You can't just change API's like that. This is on the to-do list so it's already on the radar. The devs just need to find a work-around, which isn't easy or always possible.

• jjrossjjross Members, Plex Pass Posts: 362 Plex Pass

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    You can't just change API's like that. This is on the to-do list so it's already on the radar. The devs just need to find a work-around, which isn't easy or always possible.

Ok, thank you.

• mrmannetjemrmannetje Members, Plex Pass Posts: 13 Plex Pass

"MovieFan.Plex", any progress on this issue?

Sorry, no updates. The team is looking to put some extra time into the Sonos app, but there are lots of things going on right now.

• mariagwynmariagwyn Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

+1 to working on the Sonos App. I just posted my issue here, but don't see an employee on that forum: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/257806/sonos-app-plex-service-unable-to-contact-the-plex-media-server#latest