Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sonos and Plex - Almost there ..grrrr

mzn50mzn50 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass

Hello everyone..
I have Plex loaded up with about 4TB of Audio and Hi Rez Audio .. I can access the music on Plex.. Now that it supports Sonos.. I have enabled the beta.... I have enabled Remote access and Manually set the port ..

I open up Plex via Sonos..

I see the libraies
I see the Artist
I select the CD
---> then I get a "unable to connect to Plex Media Server " error .. I refresh the manual port.. still no go .. could it be a settings in the streaming setting that I need to enable or disable ?.. Im not to familiar what should be selected or not .. sorry ..

Anyone else experience this issue ?
thanks in advance

Answers

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino CaliforniaMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 789 Plex Employee
    edited July 2016

@mzn50,

Thanks for reporting this. It has been brought up with the devs. The way Sonos works, all browsing and navigation goes through the cloud, even when accessing a PMS on your LAN. For it to work properly, Remote Access needs to be successfully configured or at least have a Relay working. Here are some steps you can try:

1. Make sure PMS is updated (> 1.0)
    2. Make sure remote access is enabled
    3. Make sure that port forwarding succeeds
    4. In reporting the issue, help us by classifying it as (A) can't browse, (B) can browse but can't play or see album art, (C) audio format support / transcoding, or (D) other (authentication etc)
    5. Useful information: (1) check to see if the home network supports NAT loopback, (2) check to see if the Sonos user is the owner of the PMS
  • mzn50mzn50 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass
    edited July 2016 via Email
    Thanks.. here is my response to the questions

* Make sure PMS is updated (> 1.0)

YES – Most recent version

* Make sure remote access is enabled

YES – Changed to another port to try – configured in Router

* Make sure that port forwarding succeeds

YES – Changed to another port to try – configured in Router the same port as PLEX

* Classify the issue as (A) can't browse, (B) can browse but can't play or see album art, (C) audio format support / transcoding, or (D) other (authentication etc)

· I Can Browse Library

· I Can Browse CD

· I Select the CD but get a spinning wheel and I get the error..

· My network does not support NAT loopback

· Same User both SONOR and PLEX

I do believe it’s a Network issue as you mention he seeks metatdeta or points to cloud dB .. what happens if you have your own recordings and does not find it in the Cloud dB ?

Thanks !!..
    I also do see this when playing with the Port :

Sometimes it bounces back to the Plex server address and sometimes I see this  “unknown IP” ?
  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino CaliforniaMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 789 Plex Employee

@mzn50,

Thanks for the detailed response. We've asked the devs to look into this and provide additional color.

One last point
    All of my audio is avail via Plex MS
    It's the hand shaking with Sonos that seems to fail ..

Thanks again
    edited July 2016

Can you private message me your Sonos serial number? It is in "About my Sonos System."

Just an update.. We are investigating this and will report back why I have more info.

• AceThatThingAceThatThing Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

In my case:

• PMS is the latest rev
    • Remote Access has been working just fine prior to Sonos beta
    • Can browse but can't play or see album art
    • Not sure if my if my router supports NAT loopback, but I am checking.
    • Sonos user is the owner of the PMS
    • On a side note. My WD Passport Pro wireless drive with Plex installed works just fine as a music source in Sonos when connected to my home wireless. The odd thing is that it does NOT have remote access enabled from within the Plex app.

Thanks for the help

@AceThatThing and @mzn50,

Thanks for your details and your patience. I don't have any news yet from the devs, however I will post once I have something.

@AceThatThing said:

• On a side note. My WD Passport Pro wireless drive with Plex installed works just fine as a music source in Sonos when connected to my home wireless. The odd thing is that it does NOT have remote access enabled from within the Plex app.

Are you using the Plex app inside Sonos controller? The local Sonos music share can function without regard to Plex settings.

edited July 2016

@mzn50 and all,

I have an update regarding Sonos connection issues with Plex. While this does not seem to affect all users, we have captured this bug (along with others through the course of the beta) and are working on flushing it out. As this is a beta, it is expected that things could be wonky, however you can rest knowing the team is working on it and hopefully will see improvements in future updates.

Thanks for reporting this and providing additional details. It helps in isolating the issue.

Fantastic
    Thanks for the update
  • umerfuloumerfulo Members Posts: 1

thanks @kinoCharlino, I have exactly the same issue, and my library is not even big (1,200 songs). It is great to know that you are working on it. Thanks again!

• Nate1148Nate1148 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

@kinoCharlino said:
    @mzn50 and all,

I have an update regarding Sonos connection issues with Plex. While this does not seem to affect all users, we have captured this bug (along with others through the course of the beta) and are working on flushing it out. As this is a beta, it is expected that things could be wonky, however you can rest knowing the team is working on it and hopefully will see improvements in future updates.

Thanks for reporting this and providing additional details. It helps in isolating the issue.

Hi Kino, I can see the libraries but just can't play. Im using a windows 10 server with port forwarding on for good measure.

Thanks for your hard work.

@kinoCharlino said:

@AceThatThing said:

Are you using the Plex app inside Sonos controller? The local Sonos music share can function without regard to Plex settings.

Yes I was using the sonos app/controller then selecting Plex as the source then selecting the library that was being presented from the WD drive vs my mac based plex server and it worked. The mac based one did not.

• wilwong829wilwong829 Members Posts: 2

I have exactly the same problem... I could add all contents to my PMS and play them successfully with my Android phone... And I could also see these music in my Sonos system, but when I try to play a song, it shows “failed to connect with Plex”... I hope this can be fixed soon because I am actually new to Plex, and I just try a one month pass because I can also play the contents with Sonos... If eventually can't, I won't continue to use it.

@wilwong829 the developers are working on this and other issues, but please keep in mind Sonos is currently released as a Beta. Access to early release features is just one benefit of the Plex Pass subscription.

• wilwong829wilwong829 Members Posts: 2

@kinoCharlino said:
    @wilwong829 the developers are working on this and other issues, but please keep in mind Sonos is currently released as a Beta. Access to early release features is just one benefit of the Plex Pass subscription.

Yes you're right. I hope this can be solved soon as this is a big value added to Plex. Thanks Kino!

@kinoCharlino said:

Any chance that the new PMS build that was just released has hidden fixes in there for Sonos playback? I am assuming no because i didn't see anything in the change log plus I tried and it still doesn't work, but just wanted to make sure it wasn't suppose to work (yet). :)

@AceThatThing said:
    Any chance that the new PMS build that was just released has hidden fixes in there for Sonos playback? I am assuming no because i didn't see anything in the change log plus I tried and it still doesn't work, but just wanted to make sure it wasn't suppose to work (yet). :)

It is really nice to see all this interest in Sonos integration! I know that while its a pain to run into bugs, your use of it is helping the team in the beta process. I do not believe anything Sonos-impacting was included in the PMS 1.0.3 release, however I am checking with Devs and QA to verify for you.