If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sync randomly fails with 'This media was unable to be analyzed.'

Answers

• thenicnetthenicnet Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm getting this issue while syncing from FreeNAS-9.10.1, Plex Version 1.3.3.3148 to Windows 10 Version 3.1.42-ee32610b (12/23/2016). I'm seeing random episodes of TV shows fail.

Here is an excerpt of my server logs (not sure if it's related):
    Jan 11, 2017 23:50:57.357 [0x80b071000] VERBOSE - Sync: saved new item 92746 in sync list 11126836 in state error with changestamp 6626364

Jan 11, 2017 23:50:57.357 [0x80b071000] DEBUG - Sync: processed item 92746 for sync list 11126836, sync item 16498648: failure/mediaAnalysisError

edited January 12

@thenicnet said:
    I'm getting this issue while syncing from FreeNAS-9.10.1, Plex Version 1.3.3.3148 to Windows 10 Version 3.1.42-ee32610b (12/23/2016). I'm seeing random episodes of TV shows fail.

Here is an excerpt of my server logs (not sure if it's related):
    Jan 11, 2017 23:50:57.357 [0x80b071000] VERBOSE - Sync: saved new item 92746 in sync list 11126836 in state error with changestamp 6626364

Jan 11, 2017 23:50:57.357 [0x80b071000] DEBUG - Sync: processed item 92746 for sync list 11126836, sync item 16498648: failure/mediaAnalysisError

I rolled back to 1.2.6.2975 and I'm fine so far...

Edit.... I lied. I'll try rolling back further.

• molgarmolgar Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same error here, which I've been getting for a while now. Sync randomly fails with the "This media was unable to be analyzed" error message.

Running Plex Version 1.3.3.3148 on a Synology NAS syncing to iOS.

I had to roll back to 1.1.4.2757 in order to get sync functionality working again. Even after that I'm having issues syncing music to Android. (It's a new issue though.) "Media Player Error... Resetting"

Sync seems to be working for videos to Windows clients and Android clients.

Can we get some devs to chime in on this? This is a serious issue that's preventing me from using the PlexPass the way I need it.

At this point I'm running two Plex instances, one "semi-stable" and one up to date but missing sync capabilities. It's way more work than I want to be doing to watch my media. Looking for alternatives at this point.

• threevilthreevil Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I had the same issue on the recent version, tried the rollback to 1.1.4.2757 and it worked perfectly. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but sync is quite literally THE reason I decided to pay for PlexPass. Devs, please have a look at the changes you made to sync versus this version. Here's what I can tell you from my side: It's not every file, but it doesn't seem to have any discernible pattern either. The conversion occurs to what appears to be 100% or very close, THEN the error pops saying 'This media was unable to be analyzed.' on the sync screen. I hope this helps.

• robert.anthony@gmail.comrobert.anthony@gmail.com Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

i'm having the same issue with sync failing randomly to iOS devices Plex 4.61 with error "This media was unable to be analyzed" I would appreciate some assistance in getting this resolved, it used to work reliably and still does with a remotely managed PMS running on OSX server versions below.

FreeNAS-9.10.2-U1 (86c7ef5)

1.3.3.3148-b38628e
    Plex Media Server / PC
    FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE (FreeBSD 10.3-STABLE #0 r295946+1805185(9.10.2-STABLE): Wed Jan 11 17:12:42 UTC 2017 root@gauntlet:/freenas-9.10-releng/_BE/objs/freenas-9.10-releng/_BE/os/sys/FreeNAS.amd64)

MacMini
    1.3.0.3059-6277334
    Plex Media Server
    Mac
    MacOSX 10.12.2

• Ben/80Ben/80 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just updated to 1.3.4.3285 and the issue hasn't been fixed.

Disappointing that this hasn't been addressed by anyone at Plex yet.

• Steeve24Steeve24 Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Ben/80 said:
    Just updated to 1.3.4.3285 and the issue hasn't been fixed.

Disappointing that this hasn't been addressed by anyone at Plex yet.

Agreed!

• gswaltzgswaltz Posts: 46Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 2

I've had marginally better results with this latest (hardware transcoding) rev...in fact, i know i still saw the issue off/on with .3173 but i can't recall anything since upgrading to the 2nd preview (.3224). FYI.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/250946/plex-media-server-hardware-transcoding-preview-2-1-4-0-3224/p1

• Terry CinemasTerry Cinemas Posts: 916Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I deleted all the folders that were empty in the plex media server/cache/transcoder restarted plex and it worked again for me

Chris

Old username: CMTAHM

- (4) Rokus
    - (3) iPads/ 1 mini
    - (1) Windows 7 x64 PMS
    - (1) PHT
    - (1) MacBook Pro
    - (1) GTV NSX-40GT1
    - (1) Kindle Fire HD
    - (3) iPhones

@Terry Cinemas said:
    I deleted all the folders that were empty in the plex media server/cache/transcoder restarted plex and it worked again for me

I just tried this on my test server, the issue persists for me.

• Terry CinemasTerry Cinemas Posts: 916Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@thenicnet said:

@Terry Cinemas said:

I just tried this on my test server, the issue persists for me.

Really? How weird. I had a movie that would not sync. I tried so many things/times. Once I did the above it synced just fine. I did also analyze the video and sync at 1.5mb

Chris

Old username: CMTAHM

- (4) Rokus
    - (3) iPads/ 1 mini
    - (1) Windows 7 x64 PMS
    - (1) PHT
    - (1) MacBook Pro
    - (1) GTV NSX-40GT1
    - (1) Kindle Fire HD
    - (3) iPhones

• AustinPowersISUAustinPowersISU Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I recently purchased a lifetime plexpass solely for this one feature. I really didn't complain about any bugs when I didn't have the pass, but when you plop down $150, you sort of expect this type of functionality to work. I can understand it being broken for one release, but this should be considered a CRITICAL bug and needs attention.

Getting some traction in this thread: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1363438

• andras_timandras_tim Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 14

I have this problem w/ Plex 1.3.4.3285 and 1.4.1.3362 :(

• 4Meadway4Meadway Posts: 244Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having the same issue with sync - seems to happen on SD content more than HD ! Problem being the SD even with the same setting as HD movie takes hours to convert compared to seconds for HD and if I am a queue lined up it knocks all them out!

Sync was working pretty well but it seems to have broken again with Version 1.4.1.3362

I still don't understand why its converting anything when I have selected 'original' as I know the tablet can handle the mkv file with ease - should be just copying the file lock, stock and barrel along with the meta data without doing anything.

@MovieFan.Plex - could you flag this with the sync team for us?

Last PSM update doesn't seem to have fixed the broken sync...Just tried 2 HD films and both failed.

@MovieFan.Plex would be good to know if this is on the radar? Happy to provide more logs etc but a fix would be good! Also get them to allow direct copy without all the converting for users who sorted all their media to stream directly...You'd make lots of users happy.

FYI, i am definitely not seeing the "unable to be analyzed" error anymore with the hardware transcoding preview PMS (link below). The hardware transcoding preview PMS is now behind the Plex Pass rev (1.4.0.3224 vs 1.42.x), but it does seem to have addressed this issue, at least it has for me on Win10/various android devices. Good luck.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/250946/plex-media-server-hardware-transcoding-preview-2-1-4-0-3224/p1

@gswaltz said:
    I've had marginally better results with this latest (hardware transcoding) rev...in fact, i know i still saw the issue off/on with .3173 but i can't recall anything since upgrading to the 2nd preview (.3224). FYI.

@gswaltz said:
    FYI, i am definitely not seeing the "unable to be analyzed" error anymore with the hardware transcoding preview PMS (link below). The hardware transcoding preview PMS is now behind the Plex Pass rev (1.4.0.3224 vs 1.42.x), but it does seem to have addressed this issue, at least it has for me on Win10/various android devices. Good luck.

Thanks for the link, had a look and couldn't see my NAS in on the list sadly. It was working fine but something has gone wrong since the last couple of updates. On 1.4.2.3400 at the moment!

@4Meadway, if you have a Synology NAS, some folks have had success with setting those up through Docker. I haven't tried yet with mine synology, but FYI. There's more info in the thread i linked too, thought i would throw that out there, just in case.

@4Meadway said:
    Thanks for the link, had a look and couldn't see my NAS in on the list sadly. It was working fine but something has gone wrong since the last couple of updates. On 1.4.2.3400 at the moment!