Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[ISSUE] Plex Media Server for NVIDIA Shield does not transcode HEVC Main 10 profile content properly

cmackOTIcmackOTI Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Title: Plex Media Server for NVIDIA Shield does not transcode HEVC Main 10 profile content properly

Description:

When transcoding content for devices which do not support HEVC/H.265 natively, Plex Media Server for Shield successfully transcodes HEVC Main profile (8-bit) content for the end device, but does not transcode 10-bit HEVC Main 10 profile content successfully. Transcoded HEVC Main 10 content is displayed on the end device as unintelligible, heavily distorted, green-tinged, with visible artifacts covering the entire display. The Shield Plex client successfully direct plays both HEVC Main and HEVC Main 10 content.

Server version: 0.9.17.1 on NVIDIA Shield 3.2(24.18.78.152) 'Experience Upgrade 3.2'
App Version (Direct play): Plex for Android version 4.29.1.7 on NVIDIA Shield
App Version (Transcode): Plex for iOS version 4.2 on Apple iPhone 6S Plus
App Version (Direct play/transcode): Plex Media Player for Mac version 1.1.1 on OS X 10.11.6 'El Capitan'

Steps to reproduce:

1. Download HEVC sample files:
    a. HEVC Main profile: jell.yfish.us/media/jellyfish-3-mbps-hd-hevc.mkv
    b. HEVC Main 10 profile: jell.yfish.us/media/jellyfish-3-mbps-hd-hevc-10bit.mkv
  2. Create 'Test' Home Movies library on PMS if required, add folder containing HEVC sample files, refresh library.
  3. From NVIDIA Shield Plex client, navigate to Test library, direct play both HEVC Main and HEVC Main 10 sample files, note results.
  4. From iOS Plex mobile client (or client on other non-HEVC native decode platform), navigate to Test library, play both HEVC Main and HEVC Main 10 sample files, note results.
  5. From Plex Media Player desktop client, navigate to Test library, and, assuming platform is able to decode HEVC natively:
    a. Direct play both HEVC Main and HEVC Main 10 sample files, note results.
    b. Play both files again, but while playing click 'Settings' > 'Quality' > Change to setting other than 'Original' to force transcoding. Note results.

Expected: All tests should successfully display the test files, regardless of end device.

Representative screenshot of transcoded HEVC Main profile video on iOS client:

imgur.com/zwJXoqR

Actual: Results are as follows:

From Step 3 above: NVIDIA Shield Plex app successfully direct plays both HEVC test files.
From Step 4 above: iOS Plex app displays transcoded HEVC Main profile test file successfully, but transcoded HEVC Main 10 profile test file displays unintelligible video.
From Step 5a above: Plex Media Player client successfully direct plays both HEVC test files.
From Step 5b above: When transcoding is forced by selecting an alternate quality setting, Plex Media Player client displays transcoded HEVC Main profile test file successfully, but transcoded HEVC Main 10 profile test file displays unintelligible video.

Representative screenshot of transcoded HEVC Main 10 profile video on iOS client:

imgur.com/Us6jL0T

Logs: pastebin.com/jRHTY8HD

The logs show a transcode attempt of the HEVC Main 10 profile test file by the iOS Plex client, followed by a direct play of the same file on the NVIDIA Shield Plex client.

Comment: I assume PMS also uses ffmpeg to generate the video thumbnails to display in the Plex clients? If so, the decode portion appears to be working OK, as the thumbnails appear normal for both test files. Perhaps the problem is in passing the decoded HEVC video to the ffmpeg re-encoder job incorrectly?

Comments

• slowmoeslowmoe Posts: 172Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just as an FYI: This has been reported a few times already but I guess more information doesn't hurt.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/223600/transcoder-fails-on-10-bit-hevc-files
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/223437/hevc-transcoding-issues

• cmackOTIcmackOTI Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 2016

Thanks @slowmoe, I should have referenced those posts as part of mine. I read through them initially looking for a solution, but couldn't see any input or comment from Plex reps so I thought I'd post a more 'formal' report. I didn't see any way to flag this post for the attention of Plex support / devs / anyone official; any idea how I might do that? Or how I might file an official support request / bug report?

• slowmoeslowmoe Posts: 172Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Fair enough. I don't know of a direct way to contact the Plex Support peeps so hopefully they will see one of these threads and acknowledge something at some point.

• KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,727Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@slowmoe said:
    Fair enough. I don't know of a direct way to contact the Plex Support peeps so hopefully they will see one of these threads and acknowledge something at some point.

This is the only way to report bugs. Devs/employees look at the forums regularly, but not on a regular schedule. And they don't always tell you they read your stuff. So, yeah, reporting the issue a few times with as much info as possible is a good bet.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 15,631Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

According to your log, when transcoding the 10-bit video, it is being made into a 10-bit H264 video. I don't think Plex is suppose to be making 10-bit H264 so this is probably a bug. Let me confirm and get back to you.

• cmackOTIcmackOTI Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for the reply @MovieFan.Plex, and apologies in turn for my late reply. I note in another thread you mention you've reported the issue to the devs. I look forward to hearing more about the underlying cause, or reading of a fix in future release notes! I realise the devs probably have this in hand, and would have a good sandpit environment to work with, but please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist with the resolution of this issue.

• Olivier.75Olivier.75 Posts: 61Members ✭✭

Also having 10bit HEVC transcoding issues here... Good to see they are working on it?

So sadly i have to use 8bit encoding until this issue is fixed... So much more banding :(

• faaaaqfaaaaq Posts: 85Members ✭✭
    edited September 2016

Yep, same issue here as well. VERY happy to see its not me or an issue with my files. I generally direct-play but I noticed a large amount of my anime files do not play properly when using direct-play (artifacting, poor colors, etc) so I had to force disabling of direct-play...but doing so has now caused this issue for me...so now I have to jump between forced direct-play and forced disabling of direct-play for certain movies/shows :/ (setting to Auto select ALWAYS chooses whichever option is worst for the files lol... it ALWAYS chooses direct-play for my anime, and transcode for these HEVC files...)

• mendozaaitmendozaait Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm hoping that this will be resolved as been about 5 months and last plex update for shield didn't resolve.

• kennethpangkykennethpangky Posts: 17Members ✭✭

Has there been any update on this issue?

• ByteShareByteShare Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Any update on this?

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I don't think there will be any Shield Plex Server updates until the Shield TV firmware OTA that should be later this month (based on the release date of the updated Shield TV on the 17th of January.)

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• ByteShareByteShare Posts: 3Members ✭✭
    edited January 10

@kegobeer-plex said:
    I don't think there will be any Shield Plex Server updates until the Shield TV firmware OTA that should be later this month (based on the release date of the updated Shield TV on the 17th of January.)

I don't see why they wouldn't if the issue is Plex (and an issue for over 6 months):

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    According to your log, when transcoding the 10-bit video, it is being made into a 10-bit H264 video. I don't think Plex is suppose to be making 10-bit H264 so this is probably a bug. Let me confirm and get back to you.

• andyfineandyfine Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've updated my Shield and am having the same issue. Well, at least I think it is. Shield just sends green garbage to all my iOS devices and Windows Phone devices. My Huawei P9 just has the spinning circle. Old AVC stuff works but my library is mostly HEVC now as it's a superior format. Can someone please explain what's going on? My pregnant partner is getting even further frustrated!!

edited January 12

It's a bug that Plex acknowledged, but still haven't fixed... and they don't even answer about it anymore.

FYI, I remember reading there was also an issue with the hardware transcoding of 10bit file in the preview PMS for desktops... so I'm guessing it's a fundamental issue with the hardware transcoder than Plex developed. Only time will tell though, I guess.

• jonrstoreyjonrstorey Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

No fix and no acknowledgement from plex, I'll start telling people here and on nvidiashieldfeedback forum DO NOT PAY FOR PLEX PREMIUM IT COULD BE A CON most people want software that works for all their media especially when the website says it plays or transcodes H265 format with no mention of limitation except 8bit for direct play.

If you use plex then at some point YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED BECAUSE IT WONT WORK, then it slowly goes down hill as more and more films you cant watch until you finally give up with plex so PLEASE DO NOT PAY ITS A COSTLY MISTAKE BOTH IN MOPNEY AND TIME until you've fully explored its features and tried kodi and its alternatives.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@jonrstorey said:
    DO NOT PAY FOR PLEX PREMIUM IT COULD BE A CON

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've read today. What do you mean by Plex Premium - there's no such animal. If you mean Plex Pass, then you should review the FAQ and read exactly what Plex Pass gets you.

I have two Shield TVs, they are my primary media playback devices in my household. The Plex player app works great, and I have very little issue with it. There are no movies in my collection it can't play. All but a handful are direct play, and the ones that aren't are only because of issues with the Exoplayer + oddball DTS audio tracks.

I've used Kodi over the years and always found it lacking. I enjoy playing my movies when I'm on the road, and Plex is the best server/client I've ever used. If there was something better I'd be using it.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

@jonrstorey said:
    No fix and no acknowledgement from plex, I'll start telling people here and on nvidiashieldfeedback forum DO NOT PAY FOR PLEX PREMIUM IT COULD BE A CON most people want software that works for all their media especially when the website says it plays or transcodes H265 format with no mention of limitation except 8bit for direct play.

If you use plex then at some point YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED BECAUSE IT WONT WORK, then it slowly goes down hill as more and more films you cant watch until you finally give up with plex so PLEASE DO NOT PAY ITS A COSTLY MISTAKE BOTH IN MOPNEY AND TIME until you've fully explored its features and tried kodi and its alternatives.

There are definitely issues with the ShieldTV version of PMS, but it's still FAR from being a con... most apps work pretty well (outside of the playstation app, I'd say) and PMS works very well on other platforms.

Anyway, paying for Plexpass has nothing to do with the ShieldTV and all to with extra functionality like Mobile Sync, Plex Cloud (beta), trailers/extras, etc.

• andyfineandyfine Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Can we get some acknowledgement that Plex is working on a FIX for transcoding HEVC on the Shield PMS please? Most of my library (90%) is HEVC as it came out officially in 2013 and is a far superior format. I have 2 x Shield boxes (1 for travelling) and my partner just uses her iPad at home. I'm investigating building a dedicated HTPC which I shouldn't have to do. Come.on, this is 3 years now, since HEVC adoption as a standard. The Shield is 2 years since its release and over 6 months since PMS for Shield. I'll pay for another lifetime Plex Pass if it will give me proper functionality