Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Doesn't Recognize SD Card Formatted as Internal Storage

zero_koopzero_koop Members, Plex Pass Posts: 112 Plex Pass

I'm running Android 6.0 on a new Moto G4 with 32 GB of internal space and I just inserted a 32 GB SD card and formatted it as "internal storage". I thought this new feature of Android was to make the new storage space show up to any app that doesn't support SD cards and the whole thing would be transparent to the app. However when I look at my Sync Status within Plex it says I only have 20.5 GB of free space which is what I have free on my internal storage. Within Sync Settings if I choose the sync storage location it only has one option that says "Internal Storage (20.5 GB free).

Shouldn't this says 52.5 GB free (20.5 + 32)? Or at the very least allow me to pick either internal or SD card? Can anyone shed some light on how to properly configure Plex? If I need to reformat the card as a "portable storage" I can, but I'd rather not because then I might have storage issues with other apps. Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• zero_koopzero_koop Members, Plex Pass Posts: 112 Plex Pass

I reformatted the SD card as a normal external storage and Plex now recognizes it. I guess I'll just have to use it this way. Not a big deal because all of the apps that I currently use that take up a lot of space (music, maps, etc.) have an option to use the SD card. It's still surprising to me that this is even an issue, either I don't understand what that Android feature is supposed to do or it's not working properly.

• bobbinzbobbinz Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

Same issue here, have a card formatted as internal.

Loads of space, like loads. Other apps (example cleanmaster) show the space correctly as being 60GB.

Plex only sees the very internal storage so I only have 0B of space to store synced media.

Phone is a HTC One M8. Android 6.0.1. Plex 4.31.2.310 (7deaa753)

• guinyrguinyr Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

You need to change the storage of the Plex app from Internal Storage to the SD Card. You do this by going into Settings, then Apps, then tap your Plex app, tap on Storage, and switch it to the SD Card. Android will move the App and all its data to the SD Card. Now your Plex app will see the SD Card space as Internal Storage.

• luxusjobluxusjob Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Thanks for the idea. Sadly it didnt work for me. And there was no option available to transfer the apps to the SD card as it is Mapped as internal storage.

Any other ideas? :-)

• andrewmediaandrewmedia Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

@guinyr said:
    You need to change the storage of the Plex app from Internal Storage to the SD Card. You do this by going into Settings, then Apps, then tap your Plex app, tap on Storage, and switch it to the SD Card. Android will move the App and all its data to the SD Card. Now your Plex app will see the SD Card space as Internal Storage.

32GB HTC10, with 128GB formatted as internal.
    Did exactly this and now have 112GB available for Plex Sync. Thank you!