Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Music stops in the middle of a track

tylerversion2tylerversion2 Posts: 24 Plex Pass
edited August 2016 in Android (mobile)

On my morning commute, I like to stream music from my home server. The last couple months has really turned me off Plex - I don't know around what update is started, nor do I know if it was a server upgrade...or even a phone firmware upgrade which caused the issue...because all 3 happened around the same time, but here goes.

Playing music is spotty, at best. I can sometimes get through a song, but often it will stop in the middle of a track and no amount of mashing the play/pause button fixes the issue. I have to back out of the player ("Stop" button or back; doesn't matter) and pick music again...and then pray that it actually plays a couple songs. This issue only seems to happen in the Android player. If I use Chrome and play music from http://plex.tv/web everything works just fine.

I mentioned it previously here http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1223652/#Comment_1223652 but it seems my issue is slightly different than 12pharoh21's issue.

Attached is my log file from this morning's commute.

Lines 636-639 & 762-770 seem particularly interesting:

08-11 07:13:53.216  i: [Proxy] Request received: https://135.x.y.z:32400/library/parts/83736/1413508091/file.mp3?autoAdjustQuality=0&hasMDE=1&location=cellular&X-Plex-Client-Identifier=aae009f8dfa3cc22-com-plexapp-android&X-Plex-Supported-Commands=abort&X-Plex-Token=...FyBP
08-11 07:13:53.352  w: [pms] Socket exception detected
08-11 07:13:53.355  w: [pms] Client closed the channel
08-11 07:13:53.465  i: [Proxy] Response: 206
08-11 07:17:12.999  i: [AudioServiceManager] Server requested termination: Streaming Session doesn't exist or timed out.
08-11 07:17:13.124  w: [ContentProviderBrain] Couldn't populate list of visible exchanges in the allotted time.
08-11 07:17:13.198  i: Fetching [method:GET] https://135.x.y.z:32400/:/timeline?containerKey=%2FplayQueues%2F5948&duration=267411&guid=com.plexapp.agents.plexmusic%3A%2F%2Fgracenote%2Ftrack%2F195330189-04AC751971C70C36D0EA8E0AAAF717E3%2F195330196-318C34BF8D62FA8A5582BA21329C2B6E%3Flang%3Den&key=%2Flibrary%2Fmetadata%2F70106&machineIdentifier=cc146722d5e70482931d71511ed69acc0f7e0e17&playQueueItemID=127370&ratingKey=70106&state=stopped&time=0&token=...FyBP&X-Plex-Client-Identifier=aae009f8dfa3cc22-com-plexapp-android&X-Plex-Token=...FyBP
08-11 07:17:13.211  i: [AudioService] destroying service
08-11 07:17:13.293  i: [AudioServiceManager] Server requested termination: Streaming Session doesn't exist or timed out.
08-11 07:17:33.895  i: Entering PickUserActivity.
08-11 07:17:34.024  i: [AudioService] Creating service
08-11 07:17:34.029  i: Entering HomeActivity.
08-11 07:17:34.099  i: [ServerSelectionHelper] Jumping to home screen because selected server has become reachable.

I feel like my phone is turning off LTE to save battery - which then causes Plex to disconnect. Maybe if PMS throttled itself and sent data chunks more slowly it would keep the connection open between data chunks? Maybe it could send smaller chunks more often? Maybe the app can tell the phone to stop being a jerk and to keep the channel open :P

Thanks for your help.

log.txt 109.2K

Answers

• blakebutlerblakebutler Posts: 9 Plex Pass

I'm having the same issue, but from chrome. Severing music from home to my work computer that I shuffle from all day. I've noticed that the last update I did started this behavior. It was fine before the recent update. If I hit next track I'm able to get the music going again, maybe one or two tracks will play-fully then just pause, like it can't buffer or it stopped the buffer.

• we@selwe@sel Posts: 18 Plex Pass

I have the same problem since the last update. I could isolte my problem.
    The Problem occur only on synced audio content and only when I'm connected to the Plex server. When I listen the audio files offline everything is ok. My synced files are on a sdcard. When I remove the sdcard and listen the audio files it's also working.

Thanks for your help.

• rdhitalrdhital Posts: 6 Plex Pass

I was also having similar issue as tylerversion2. What I can add is after several tests the issue is when the power saving mode in the phone is enabled. With the power saving mode disabled music plays smooth. Once power saving is enabled and you are using the mobile data the music drops abruptly in the middle which supports the theory of ttylerversion2 that the phone is turning off LTE to save battery - which then causes Plex to disconnect.

• tylerversion2tylerversion2 Posts: 24 Plex Pass

Do you mean something like this? http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/329e3f2ca4d44e1cacbceda836be9d4b1.png I have that turned off - never used it.

Are there any other places that I could find features like these? It's a Moto X 2014 running android 6.0. A cursory google hasn't found much. The closest I can find is https://www.androidpit.com/android-m-release-date-news-features-name#performance "Doze" mode which suspends things when not in use. Apparently it's not something that can be modified - either by the app or the user.

• dwt12777dwt12777 Posts: 47 Plex Pass

@we@sel said:
    I have the same problem since the last update. I could isolte my problem.
    The Problem occur only on synced audio content and only when I'm connected to the Plex server. When I listen the audio files offline everything is ok. My synced files are on a sdcard. When I remove the sdcard and listen the audio files it's also working.

Thanks for your help.

I think you're on to something here. I was running into the same problem, getting "Streaming Session doesn't exist or timed out" when trying to play music on my Android (nexus 6). But sure enough, it happened to be music I had synced locally but was playing off the server.

I tried playing other non-synced content and it worked fine.

I then deleted the artist's synced content from my phone and was able to play it without a problem.

Incidentally, this may explain why reinstalling the app worked for this guy: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1240662/#Comment_1240662 (Reinstalled would have gotten rid of his synced content).

It makes me wonder if the bug is with the function that tries to play local content when available when you're playing off the server.

• tylerversion2tylerversion2 Posts: 24 Plex Pass

It seems like there are two issues being discussed. If you're having a problem with sync'd music please create a new thread.

To be honest I'm experiencing that issue as well, but this thread is for music stopping in the middle of a track, likely due to power saving features.

Please try to keep it on-topic.

• tywintywin Posts: 6 ✭✭

Nexus 5X
    Android 7.1.2
    Plex 5.9.3.65

Streaming music over WiFi, it randomly stops playing in the middle of a track. Pause/restart has no effect; I have to change songs to get it going again. Changing to the next song then immediately back to the original song works fine.

I've emailed myself logs from my device several times now after observing this happen. I see GETs ever 10 seconds, presumably for the next block of music. When the music stops playing, the GETs just keep on going.

Kind of bummed -- streaming music to my phone was the primary purpose of upgrading to Plex Pass.

• 4Meadway4Meadway Posts: 166 Plex Pass

I noticed this happening last night also - was streaming on the tablet to a chrome cast and it would just stop and refuse to play the next song. Pushing buttons back and forth, pause and play will finally get it to go and you might get another couple of tracks before it stalls again!

Playing offline content has become a nightmare also! The sync doesn't pull all the artist information through randomly and then playback either stops at the end of a track or half way through.

Plex have said they issued a fix for it on Android 7 but it's not working for me still!

• garethrobsongarethrobson Posts: 4 Plex Pass

This is now happening for me too.
    Google Pixel XL
    Android 7.1.2 (5th May 2017 patch)
    Plex for Android version 5.10.0.55 (158a3969)

I have all music Synced and only ever play it from synced source (I dont stream). Every 2-3 tracks the music will just randomly stop in the middle of the song and pressing play / pause / seek does nothing, only skipping to the next track resolves it. If you go back to that song it may play back through in its entirety just fine or it may even stop again in a completely different place.

Means I cant use Plex to play music currently. Please help!