Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

NVIDIA SHIELD FLAC Support and Behavior

Hello all!

Does the NVIDIA SHIELD support direct play for multi-channel (surround sound) FLAC audio tracks? If so, are there any limitations? Is the output audio sent to the receiver as PCM over HDMI with FLAC audio?

Answers

• dsp5500dsp5500 Posts: 147 Plex Pass

BUMP I would also like to know this. Does it behave the same way as Plex Embedded in regards to FLAC multichannel sound tracks?

• danjames92danjames92 Posts: 2,789 Plex Pass
    edited May 16

Yes it does. It's output as PCM as you can't bitstream FLAC.

No limitations as far as I know but not sure if it's down mixed to 48Hz.

• ccutrerccutrer Posts: 35 Plex Pass

What containers does multi-channel FLAC work in? I'm still getting an error in 5.9.2 that FLAC is not supported in MKV, for 5.1 tracks.

edited May 16

I thought you meant just flac on its own. That is supported. I assume it's not inside a container then.

Any way of providing me a sample? I've only got 6.1 flac. Split 30s chunk with MKVTOOLNIX should do it. Can try it in latest beta.

edited May 16

Transcode any Blu-ray you own with Makemkv using the FLAC setting. This will transcode the HD audio surround formats into multichannel FLAC along side the movie in a MKV container. This works perfectly in the embedded version of Plex. I would like to buy a shield if this will work like it should.

@dsp5500 said:
    Transcode any Blu-ray you own with Makemkv using the FLAC setting. This will transcode the HD audio surround formats into multichannel FLAC along side the movie in a MKV container. This works perfectly in the embedded version of Plex. I would like to buy a shield if this will work like it should.

I'd rather use a sample that was already encoded with flac to begin with natively.

No movie is natively encoded with Flac. There all transcoded from HD multichannel audio eg. Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD. You would have the exact same file and could use whatever blu ray you chose.

edited May 17

@dsp5500 said:
    No movie is natively encoded with Flac. There all transcoded from HD multichannel audio eg. Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD. You would have the exact same file and could use whatever blu ray you chose.

Didn't TLOTR have flac? I seem to remember it did.

Oh well, it's not supported in mkv right now. Just regular flac.

Maybe your thinking of LPCM. So you tried it and it wouldn't play? Can someone confirm this please.

• Prog RockerProg Rocker Posts: 13 Plex Pass
    edited May 18

I have many MKV movies with flac from MakeMKV as well as the HD codecs. Flac DOES NOT play but all the HD codecs do. In straight flac files (no container).... 2.0 plays up to 192khz, 5.1 transcodes. This a BUMMER and the only limitation of the shield I can see. I have all my music 5.1 dvd's ripped to flac and PLEX provides great metadata through music libraries but it bugs me they are transcoding.

This really sux and is a show stopper for me. I have all my ripped movies with Flac for the audio. Is this a PLEX limitation or Nvidia Limitation? Is PLEX looking at using there own video engine or continue to use Nvidia's?

edited May 18

I'm confused at why people convert to flac when they could just leave the DTS-HD MA / LPCM / TrueHD track as is and it would work perfectly.

I'm sure they can fix it though.

I know 5.1 .flac works fine cause I tried it.

edited May 18

My Audio processor only accepts LPCM multichannel audio from blu ray. It won't accept The HD audio codec so thats the reason to cover to Flac.

5.1 Flac in an movie? .mkv container works you say?

What do you have to do to get the developers to give a definitive answer instead of anecdotal evidence??? I pay for Plex pass what more do I have to do to get a definitive answer? Should I buy one and find out that way? Who do I give money to so my question can be answered?

edited May 18

.flac works. Flac in MKV does not. I already told you that. There is no sure way to get a dev involved.

.flac works without transcoding for 2.0 but 5.1 DOES transcode and is a known issue from what I have read on github. It is a shield player issue. Please correct me if I am wrong because I would love to play my 5.1 .flac music library from PLEX. BTW - in rasplex there is no transcoding BUT the channels are out of order. I have asked about this over there but it seems nobody cars about 5.1 music on any platform. I understand dsp5500 because flac was the answer for HD movies before the shield. .flac does work fine in all incarnations in the older PLEX Theatre app. so it can be done but there seems to be no interest. The low rez mp3 days for music have ruined everything and YES there is a difference.

5.1 FLAC works fine, it does not work in a MKV container.

have you tried 96khz 5.1 .flac files from a Music library? They do play but only 48khz unless something has changed very recently. I even tried the vlc player and same thing. I've been told 48khz is limit of shield player for anything over 2.0. Please. tell me I'm wrong.

@Prog Rocker said:
    have you tried 96khz 5.1 .flac files from a Music library? They do play but only 48khz unless something has changed very recently. I even tried the vlc player and same thing. I've been told 48khz is limit of shield player for anything over 2.0. Please. tell me I'm wrong.

Give me a sample and I'll try it. I can't remember what Hz it was before when I tested.

• ccutrerccutrer Posts: 35 Plex Pass

@danjames92 said:
    I'm confused at why people convert to flac when they could just leave the DTS-HD MA / LPCM / TrueHD track as is and it would work perfectly.

I'm sure they can fix it though.

I know 5.1 .flac works fine cause I tried it.

I don't use FLAC for DTS-HD MA and TrueHD tracks, but originally did for LPCM tracks before I knew about the Shield's deficiency in this case. LPCM tracks are pretty large when still uncompressed, and I didn't have as much storage back then (or anything that could play any audio format losslessly). So I figured I might as well compress them to save some space, while keeping the lossless. Once I got my Shield and tested things out, I switched to ripping LPCM raw. Someday I'll go back and either re-rip or decode and remux my FLAC movies. I've already done a few of my more popular movies that are that way. But this thread got me excited for a bit that I wouldn't need to.

I'd be happy to get you a sample when I'm home and remember to do so. And sorry for the slow response... notifications and unreads are useless in this forum when a single thread (the hardware transcoding one) dominate them and it only shows you new individual messages, not unread threads.