If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Server 'Undefined' on Samsung TV Plex app

I've just downloaded Plex Media Server on my Mac today (running OS 10.11.6) and then installed the Plex app on our Samsung Smart TV (UN40J6200AFXZA). My laptop and the TV are both on the same wi-fi network.

I can login to the app and it connects to Plex using the PIN. It can see my laptop as a server but won't connect to it. In the preferences, under server, it lists the server as 'Undefined'. If I try and connect to the server it gives the error message:

'This server is currently not available'

On my laptop, under devices, it lists the Smart TV.

Any suggestions as to why the tv can't connect to the server?

Answers

• kay.onekay.one Plex Engineer Vancouver, CanadaPosts: 331Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Moved to Samsung Smart Hub (2010-2015 models) forum since you have a Smart Hub TV (Based on the model you posted)

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,381Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Please make sure your server is logged in to your Pex account, and adjust the server setting for "secured connections" to "preferred"

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

• danhook_19danhook_19 Posts: 8Members ✭✭

Unless I'm missing something, I'm pretty sure I'm logged into my account on the media server. It has my initial in the top right of the screen and shows the media content of my laptop in the library.

As for the secured connections, that was set to preferred by default and I've tried both 'Required' and 'Disabled' as well and it still hasn't connected.

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,381Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

This maybe an open door, but did you wait long enough for the icon to turn green, before you tried to connect?

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

• olancaseyolancasey Posts: 19Members Plex Pass

same issue

Always good to check! Yes I waited until a red cross came up next to the name of the server.

• chaosmakerchaosmaker Posts: 417Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Everytime I had undefined server issues it was because the IP/DNS settings on my samsung gear was not quite right. I.e. wrong DNS or wrong IP etc.
    Doesn't mean that is the only problem, it might be that plex.tv hasn't updated your IP addresses, so best option to try is log out of plex on the server, then log back in and see if the issue persists.

I tried that as well. I believe you can input that information manually though. Is there documentation about what numbers I should be looking for and where to find them?

So I just had a look through the Samsung app settings and there isn't an option to input those numbers.

I changed the option on the Samsung app to use secure connections. That was off by default, but after restarting the app, it still hasn't changed the connection to the media server.

Any other thoughts?

Stupid question: can you access the plex server from any other device except the server itself?

I.e from your description is your laptop your Mac or 2 different computers?

I haven't tried that. I'll see if I can access it from another web device.

And yes, my mac is my laptop. They're the same!

I downloaded Plex on my phone and logged in. When trying to connect to my library on the same network, it shows the media server on my Laptop as 'Direct connection unavailable'.

So it would seem I've missed something in setting up the media server and nothing can connect to it.

Where do I start trying to troubleshoot this?

I have a feeling that port 32400 is blocked on your mac. You'd need to do something like this I think. I personally don't have a mac, so not sure why the port wasn't opened during install but you should be able to do it manually like this:

Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall Options.
    Click Add.
    Choose an application from the Applications folder and click Add.
    Ensure that the option next to the application is set to Allow incoming connections.
    Click OK.

Good thought, however the firewall on my laptop was turned off anyway. Which I probably shouldn't have had it like that, so it's now on and Plex has been added. Still no connection between my phone and the laptop.

• Samsung JU7500Samsung JU7500 Posts: 19Members ✭✭

@danhook_19 said:
    I've just downloaded Plex Media Server on my Mac today (running OS 10.11.6) and then installed the Plex app on our Samsung Smart TV (UN40J6200AFXZA). My laptop and the TV are both on the same wi-fi network.

I can login to the app and it connects to Plex using the PIN. It can see my laptop as a server but won't connect to it. In the preferences, under server, it lists the server as 'Undefined'. If I try and connect to the server it gives the error message:

'This server is currently not available'

On my laptop, under devices, it lists the Smart TV.

Any suggestions as to why the tv can't connect to the server?

I have had the same problem before, in my case the problem was in the router part. "Undefined" and "this server is curently unavailable". Now it depends what router you are using and if you have an option for " No DNS Rebind". In case you do, make sure that option is set to disable.
    In my case it worked perfect every time I had it disabled, if I enabled it "Undefied" and "server uanvailable" comes back right the way. In some routers firmware this option comes enabled by default. (ex: DD-WRT)
    Hope that helps!

• AusedCAusedC Posts: 32Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have Samsung TV 2014, a week ago was working, I am able to access thru ruko and Ipad. Error msg says undefined : undefined-ServerName. Still cant access. Please help..

• AusedCAusedC Posts: 32Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a linkSys E1200 wireless.

@AusedC Sounds like your TV isn't connected to the network check your network settings. If that seems fine, delete app on tv, power cycle tv (actually remove the plug for a min) and reinstall app.

edited December 2016

Seeing your picture in the web app, just means you a logged in with your account, however what the app requires is that your server is logged in. This will connect the server to your account. Now you need to do the same with the app. You do this by logging in with the PIN code. If you do it like this, I'm pretty sure the app will see your server.

To avoid losing connections, make sure your server and TV have a fixed or DHCP assigned IP address that doesn't change.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

• mAqqmAqq Posts: 2Members

check your firewall settings on the source pc. check log, if you see blocked attempt from your TV IP, add it to your save zone.
    Restart Plex. Should be working