If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Scanning outside specified Library folders

sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,398Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
edited September 2016 in Windows
This discussion was created from comments split from: Plex scans outside specified libary folders!!! (ignores folder-config for mounted file share folder).

These posts were moved from the QNAP Plex Media Server forum

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

Comments

• icedragon2002002icedragon2002002 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

so ive run into the same situation just using network shares. if I give plex access to the root of the drive it will scan all sub folders. example. there is a network drive labeled D:\ and in D:\ there are sub folders D:\a-l D:\pictures D:\music. if I just add a directory such as tell plex that the directory is movies and point it to D:\movies it not only scans that directory but all the subsequent directories around it so ill find my home vides from D:\pictures added in there as well.

my way around this issue was to set up the remote system to share out the folder individually and then mount them as network drives on the plex server.

due to the amount of data I have I got tired of dealing with individual drives and made a big raid array which is mounted directly to the plex server. I now find my self in the same predicament as the rest of the guys on this posting. If you need logs fine tell me how and what you want. ill be happy to provide them but this needs to be fixed or instructions on how to avoid this issue would be nice.

Thank you,

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,398Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
    edited September 2016

@icedragon2002002

If you need logs fine tell me how and what you want. ill be happy to provide them but this needs to be fixed or instructions on how to avoid this issue would be nice.

See the FAQs Q11 and Q12 - here

Copy out all the Plex Media Scanner and plex Media server log files - and zip and attach

Better to restart the server and do a specific test for one library and do a scan and then if scans wrong areas, to get all the logs and indication of what went wrong

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• dane22dane22 Posts: 10,384Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Actually, I recommend to install WebTools instead.

After doing so, it'll download all logs in a zip in one go, and WebTools even comes with a QNAP Installer

https://github.com/ukdtom/WTInstaller/wiki/QNAP

/T

I hate bugs - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
    Join me in developing: epg-dk, str2utf-8, remidx, ExportTools, WebTools
    Support the Samsung Client:Donate
    Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

NO Support via PM, unless called by me

dane22. the instructions seems to be either for linux or for some other OS which I am not using. actually plex is installed on windows server 2012r2 Datacenter

sa2000 the logs you requested

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,398Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@icedragon2002002 said:

one of your libraries has the whole E:\ as the path for that library

also another has the whole Y:\ as the path.

Please edit your paths or delete everything and start again

Specify Paths at folder level

So for example for a music library, the path would be E:\Music

For the Y:\ drive, create folders and move the media files into them, Eg Y:\Videos and specify that as a path

• dane22dane22 Posts: 10,384Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@icedragon2002002

Huh....You posted in the QNAP server forum!

@sa2000
    If so, then care to move to correct forum?

/T

I hate bugs - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
    Join me in developing: epg-dk, str2utf-8, remidx, ExportTools, WebTools
    Support the Samsung Client:Donate
    Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

NO Support via PM, unless called by me

@icedragon2002002

Picking from what is in the scanner logs - you have a movies library and a Premium Music Library - both having the same path - the whole of the E:\ Drive !

This is not recommended at all

So review all your libraries by going through each library listed on the left column, clicking on the Edit pencil icon and then when the edit dialogue box pops up, click on Add Folders. This will allow you to see what paths you have specified

Study all the Naming Standards documents here and review your library structure
    See Media Preparation

@sa2000 said:

@icedragon2002002 said:

For the Y:\ drive, create folders and move the media files into them, Eg Y:\Videos and specify that as a path

weird. I guess it didnt save or take my click when I chose the sub folder. nice catch.
    I dont have anything that pointing to a Y drive since Y does not exist at all.

I have made the changes and double checked that plex took my sub folder selections. now for the long scan to complete.

update to come in a few days.

@icedragon2002002 said:

@sa2000 said:

@icedragon2002002 said:

weird. I guess it didnt save or take my click when I chose the sub folder. nice catch.
    I dont have anything that pointing to a Y drive since Y does not exist at all.

I have made the changes and double checked that plex took my sub folder selections. now for the long scan to complete.

update to come in a few days.

Sorry it was my mistake. There is no Y:\ - all were pointing to E:\ showing in the logs

• abqdan@gmail.comabqdan@gmail.com Posts: 1Members

I am probably not technical enough to help, except to say that I installed Plex on my Synology RAID array yesterday, which contains 3TB of personal data, as well as my Music library. I set Plex up with a library folder pointing to the Music folder - and it immediately started scanning the whole 3TB drive - which is (1) rude, and (2) a security violation. I've uninstalled the package from my RAID drive for now, because I can't really trust a package that does that kind of arbitrary access of my data.

@abqdan@gmail.com said:
    I am probably not technical enough to help, except to say that I installed Plex on my Synology RAID array yesterday, which contains 3TB of personal data, as well as my Music library. I set Plex up with a library folder pointing to the Music folder - and it immediately started scanning the whole 3TB drive - which is (1) rude, and (2) a security violation. I've uninstalled the package from my RAID drive for now, because I can't really trust a package that does that kind of arbitrary access of my data.

Raise the issue on the synology plex media server forum. In all such cases where evidence has been provided, it has been user error where the wrong paths specified for library contents

Please provide screenshots of the library setup - see the Add Folders screenshot on this support page
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200289266-Editing-Libraries
    and Plex Media Server.log and Plex Media Scanner.log when you believe it is scanning outside the specified path
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files