We will be performing plex.tv database server maintenance starting 22:00 Pacific Time on Wednesday, June 28 (05:00 GMT, June 29). It is expected to last ~1.5 hours. See http://status.plex.tv/incidents/c1t6djj5vq9r
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

reFocus media flags

degTechdegTech Members, Plex Pass Posts: 51 Plex Pass
I've always been drawn to the reFocus skin and being a little OCD about details, decided some of the media icons needed to be re-done or replaced.

Take a look at the following pic and see if this is something you might want to see expanded. I've got a simple Photoshop layer that does does the 'metallic' look. Just let me know if you want/need other studios, networks, etc.

I need to do a little experimenting to see what is the best way to distribute these, so a 'release' may not be imminent. But I'm sure we can work something out.

deg

Comments

• marklightmarklight Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,006 Plex Pass
    I'd love to see the ratings flags included in grainy edition.
  • Scott and MistyScott and Misty Members, Plex Pass Posts: 31 Plex Pass
    Those MPAA ratings flags look really nice. Bravo. Add in NC-17 and Unrated and you're done.
  • se.bastianse.bastian Plex Employee Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 487 Plex Employee
    That's very nice indeed. I think we found the person to do the icon-makeover for reFocus.
    Beware, a lot of work awaits.

Just kidding, but not entirely. Whatever you come up with can be used as long as they integrate seamlessly. Very kind of you to propose.
    The ratings flags are a can of worms ; with the international scrapings now they give localized results when called, so a US based set can't be used for another country. Which means it would be nice to have at least a basic set of some of the most common countries (but who's going to decide which are important etc.)...

If you're motivated, maybe have a look inside the "MediaFlags.bundle" which you can find in "yourusername/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-Ins". There you'll see those that are available to be called from PMS. The sets missing from refocus (missing altogether as a flag-family) are; "Audio Channels", "Content Rating" and "Video Frame Rate" (there's "Media" as well but i really don't see the point). Frankly, anything you can come up with any of them is a step forward given that they simply don't even exist in reFocus as of now.

But basically it comes down to this; your work is clean and well executed (in other words it's perfect), so up to whatever point you feel like contributing is fine.
    For distributing, i guess either you put up a package with a download link, or if you wish you can contact me directly to send them. But if you wish them public you should maybe put up a Dropbox account or something to make it easy for yourself.

Keep us posted, and thanks again.
  • degTechdegTech Members, Plex Pass Posts: 51 Plex Pass
    scottu wrote:

Those MPAA ratings flags look really nice. Bravo. Add in NC-17 and Unrated and you're done.

I do have a NC-17 flag, it just didn't make the pic. While there is no 'official' Unrated flag (for that matter NR is not official), it shouldn't be too hard to do.

se.bastian wrote:

That's very nice indeed. I think we found the person to do the icon-makeover for reFocus.
    Beware, a lot of work awaits.

Just kidding, but not entirely. Whatever you come up with can be used as long as they integrate seamlessly. Very kind of you to propose.
    The ratings flags are a can of worms ; with the international scrapings now they give localized results when called, so a US based set can't be used for another country. Which means it would be nice to have at least a basic set of some of the most common countries (but who's going to decide which are important etc.)...

If you're motivated, maybe have a look inside the "MediaFlags.bundle" which you can find in "yourusername/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-Ins". There you'll see those that are available to be called from PMS. The sets missing from refocus (missing altogether as a flag-family) are; "Audio Channels", "Content Rating" and "Video Frame Rate" (there's "Media" as well but i really don't see the point). Frankly, anything you can come up with any of them is a step forward given that they simply don't even exist in reFocus as of now.

But basically it comes down to this; your work is clean and well executed (in other words it's perfect), so up to whatever point you feel like contributing is fine.
    For distributing, i guess either you put up a package with a download link, or if you wish you can contact me directly to send them. But if you wish them public you should maybe put up a Dropbox account or something to make it easy for yourself.

Keep us posted, and thanks again.

You are not kidding about the entirety of the media flag makeover. There are over 1300 studio logos, which was mentioned previously in the thread (I think). Of course, there are a lot of duplicates in there to cover the various acceptable spellings that exist.

Yes, I've looked at international flags and as long as I can find high resolution SVG or PNG source, I'll have a go at them.

I was motivated enough last year to look and find the MediaFlags.bundle last year. Somebody put a lot of work into adding some high resolution flags in there, they just don't scale well in the client. It might provide the source for some re-sized reFocus flags though.

Thanks for the comments. I'll see about setting up a Dropbox once I collect things together.
  • se.bastianse.bastian Plex Employee Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 487 Plex Employee
    gedoode wrote:

You are not kidding about the entirety of the media flag makeover. There are over 1300 studio logos, which was mentioned previously in the thread (I think). Of course, there are a lot of duplicates in there to cover the various acceptable spellings that exist.

Yes, I've looked at international flags and as long as I can find high resolution SVG or PNG source, I'll have a go at them.

I was motivated enough last year to look and find the MediaFlags.bundle last year. Somebody put a lot of work into adding some high resolution flags in there, they just don't scale well in the client. It might provide the source for some re-sized reFocus flags though.

I in no way wished to imply that you should do anything with the +1000 studio logos.
    The flags in the PMS which are missing from reFocus would be "Audio Channels", "Content Rating" and "Video Frame Rate", and those total to about 30 images as is in the PMS (with a few french & dutch rating flags included already).

Of course it's not an end-all, but maybe a very nice start nevertheless.
    edited February 2011
    Thought I give an update on the reFocus media flag refresh:

Items done:

Content Rating
    • US (movies & tv)
    • Australia (movies)
    • France (movies)
    • Netherlands (movies)
    • Germany (movies)
    • United Kingdom (movies)

Frame Rate
    Channels

To Do:
    more Content Ratings (I'll take requests)
    update TV Show flags
    replicate Resolution flags (576 is missing)
    update Type flags as needed (xvid vs. divx, mpeg2video, etc)

Hopefully I'll have a zip file buttoned up and available via Dropbox later this afternoon. (need to take care of a few errands first)
    Ok, Dropbox account is active. There are three folders in the zip file: channels, contentrating and framerate. Sebastian, I'm sure you know what to do with these. For anyone else interested, copy these folders to ~/Library/Application Support/Plex/skin/<reFocus_skin_name>/media/flags and replace the existing folders. (Make sure to backup the originals)

Let me know how it goes. On a related note, do you have any idea how I might test the different international content rating flags? I'd really like to have a look and see how they integrate with the skin.

Zip file is available here: MediaFlagUpdate,v1.zip
    gedoode wrote:

Ok, Dropbox account is active. There are three folders in the zip file: channels, contentrating and framerate.

Let me know how it goes. On a related note, do you have any idea how I might test the different international content rating flags? I'd really like to have a look and see how they integrate with the skin.

Thanks a lot, that's very, very nice work.
    I'll include them immediately and push an update.

There's not really solution for testing except hardcoding each time the image and reloading the skin to see the results. This said, even though the images are of correct size (those already included or yours), i restrain some of their size (smaller or bigger) because visually they don't always seem nice together without it, no matter what. So basically once they have the same look, they'll be fine as they will be readjusted to play nice together. But i know it's not optimal, and you should be able to test them, so i'll think about if something could be done to facilitate that.

Really, thanks a lot once more, that's great.

Sebastian.
  • Scott and MistyScott and Misty Members, Plex Pass Posts: 31 Plex Pass
    Really great work. Many thanks.
  • MartinAylaMartinAyla Members, Plex Pass Posts: 848 Plex Pass
    gedoode, your media flags look great, thanks for you work on these! :)

I hope it's OK to make a request?

I would like to see "Dolby TrueHD", "DTS-HD Master Audio" and "LPCM".

That should cover all the HD audio formats.

Thanks again
    /Martin
    PS. will you do a "50p" flag also (or is it covered by the "PAL" flag)?
    edited February 2011
    Martin wrote:

gedoode, your media flags look great, thanks for you work on these! :)

I hope it's OK to make a request?

I would like to see "Dolby TrueHD", "DTS-HD Master Audio" and "LPCM".

That should cover all the HD audio formats.

Thanks again
    /Martin

Martin wrote:

PS. will you do a "50p" flag also (or is it covered by the "PAL" flag)?

Martin, I don't mind requests at all! I'll take a go at the 'Dolby TrueHD' flag. And I'll look into the diffence between 'dca', 'dta' and dts' audio codecs. (see discussion below)

se.bastian wrote:

Not to hijack the thread, but i'm wondering (since the info is not documented) what is truly recognized by Plex and what is not.
    I see in the "MediaFlags.bundle" the flag for "Dolby TrueHD", so it's safe to assume that it's recognized and could be added. But for DTS i see only one generic "DTS" flag, so not sure if it covers them all or if something like "DTS-HD Master Audio" can be detected. The same goes for "LPCM", i don't see it there.

Not having any of those formats myself in my videos (at least i think i don't), a good way to check if it can be done is to use the Typoplex skin for checking the strings returned for all the flags. It returns, instead of the visual flag, the exact string in text that is stored in the metadata for the media, so you'll know for sure what will work and what not. Scroll your library with it, and see the flags returned for the media that you know contains the formats that do not yet have flags in Grainy Edition and you'll see the result immediately. For example, scroll to the movie that contains a "DTS-HD Master Audio" track, and see what it returns in the flags. The same goes for all the other flags, be it video or audio.

On the "50p" flag, i think (but could be mistaken) that it's a HDTV format (like the 60p flag), and the PAL is 25p/50i. Here again, if you have 50p video, check with Typoplex if it's recognized. It's handy for debugging, even though it was not it's intended functionality originally.

se.bastian, I don't consider your comments to be a hijack. (Side note: it is a wonderful side-effect that one can use the Typoplex skin to see the media info. That is a lot easier than digging through the XML). And you bring up a great point. Just what does Plex consider the audio/video properties to be?

Case in point, my 'local' copy of Alice in Wonderland. Here's what Plex (and Typoplex) say the media types are:

[xml]http://localhost:32400/library/metadata/529/

<Media id="404" duration="6514000" bitrate="1870" aspectRatio="1.78"
    audioChannels="6" audioCodec="ac3"
    videoCodec="mpeg4" videoResolution="480"
    container="avi" videoFrameRate="24p">
    <Part key="/library/parts/405/Alice%20In%20Wonderland%20(2010).avi" file="/Media/Plex/Movies/Alice In Wonderland (2010).avi" size="1559676928">
    <Stream id="757" streamType="1" codec="mpeg4" index="0"/>
    <Stream id="758" streamType="2" codec="ac3" index="1"/>
    </Part>
    </Media>

Typoplex:

Video: AR 1.78 , 480P , MPEG4 , 24P
    Audio: AC3 , CH 6[/xml]

And here is what 'Mediainfo Mac' says the media info is:

General / Container Stream #1
    	Video Codecs Used.................................XviD
    	Audio Codecs Used.................................AC3
    Video Stream #1
    	Codec (Human Name)................................MPEG-4 Visual
    	Codec (FourCC)....................................XVID
    	Frame Width.......................................720 pixels
    	Frame Height......................................400 pixels
    	Frame Rate........................................23.976 fps
    	Display Aspect Ratio..............................16:9
    	Scan Type.........................................Progressive
    Audio Stream #1
    	Codec.............................................AC-3
    	Codec (FourCC)....................................2000
    	Number of Audio Channels..........................6

Everything agrees except for what the video codec is: Plex says MPEG4, the FourCC is XVID. In Plex (and reFocus), the mpeg4.png image is a DivX logo. Which is obviously not correct! For DVD rips, Plex indicates the video codec is MPEG2VIDEO, for which there is no flag at all.

So, long story short, I'll be glad to redo/create any media flags that might need it. Just let me now how Plex reports the audio/video info and keep checking this thread. (Got a race to watch this afternoon!)

deg
    gedoode wrote:

Everything agrees except for what the video codec is: Plex says MPEG4, the FourCC is XVID. In Plex (and reFocus), the mpeg4.png image is a DivX logo. Which is obviously not correct! For DVD rips, Plex indicates the video codec is MPEG2VIDEO, for which there is no flag at all.

So, long story short, I'll be glad to redo/create any media flags that might need it. Just let me now how Plex reports the audio/video info and keep checking this thread. (Got a race to watch this afternoon!)

So i had a few older files around (nowadays it's almost solely .mkv for me), and had these results.
    The file infos come from MediaInfo Mac, and are "video codec / frame rate / audio codec / file extension" :

- file : AVC / 29.970 / AAC / .mov
    - Typoplex : H264 / NTSC / AAC

- file : DivX 5 / 29.970 / MP3 / .avi
    - Typoplex : MPEG4 / NTSC / MP3

- file : DivX 5 / 25 / MP3 / .divx

- file : XviD / 25 / MP3 / .avi

- file : AVC / 25 / PCM / .avi
    - Typoplex : H264 / NTSC / PCM_S16LE

This double-confirms what was already reported by Martin, that the PAL frame rate is wrongly given as NTSC. NTSC (29.970) however is good. Another thing it shows is that both XviD and DivX are under the MPEG4 umbrella (i suspected that, it's probably because DivX is coined and better known by general public, but then why is there a flag for XviD in the "MediaFlags.bundle" ?). One thing it teaches is that it shows the PCM audio as "PCM_S16LE", and there's no flag for that.

Also, i know from my DVD rips that .iso is shown as "MPEG2VIDEO" like you said.

That's what i could find quickly with what i had at hand.
    gedoode and Sebastian,

Thanks for helping out :)

Here is the "MediaInfo Mac" and "Typoplex" info from three of my Blu-ray remux .m2ts movies:

300 Blu-ray remux:

MediaInfo:
    Video: VC-1
    Audio: TrueHD

Typoplex:
    Video: VC1
    Audio: TRUEHD

Cars Blu-ray remux:

MediaInfo:
    Video: AVC
    Audio: PCM

Typoplex:
    Video: H264
    Audio: PCM_BLURAY

Gladiator Blu-ray remux:

MediaInfo:
    Audio: DTS-HD

Typoplex:
    Audio: DCA

/Martin
    se.bastian wrote:

So i had a few older files around (nowadays it's almost solely .mkv for me), and had these results.
    The file infos come from MediaInfo Mac, and are "video codec / frame rate / audio codec / file extension" :

- file : AVC / 29.970 / AAC / .mov
    - Typoplex : H264 / NTSC / AAC

- file : DivX 5 / 29.970 / MP3 / .avi

- file : DivX 5 / 25 / MP3 / .divx

- file : XviD / 25 / MP3 / .avi

- file : AVC / 25 / PCM / .avi
    - Typoplex : H264 / NTSC / PCM_S16LE

This double-confirms what was already reported by Martin, that the PAL frame rate is wrongly given as NTSC. NTSC (29.970) however is good. Another thing it shows is that both XviD and DivX are under the MPEG4 umbrella (i suspected that, it's probably because DivX is coined and better known by general public, but then why is there a flag for XviD in the "MediaFlags.bundle" ?). One thing it teaches is that it shows the PCM audio as "PCM_S16LE", and there's no flag for that.

Also, i know from my DVD rips that .iso is shown as "MPEG2VIDEO" like you said.

That's what i could find quickly with what i had at hand.

Nice catch, turns out I have some 25 fps files and didn't even notice until now.

Martin wrote:

gedoode and Sebastian,

Thanks for helping out :)

Here is the "MediaInfo Mac" and "Typoplex" info from three of my Blu-ray remux .m2ts movies:

300 Blu-ray remux:

MediaInfo:
    Video: VC-1
    Audio: TrueHD

Typoplex:
    Video: VC1
    Audio: TRUEHD

Cars Blu-ray remux:

MediaInfo:
    Audio: PCM

Typoplex:
    Audio: PCM_BLURAY

Gladiator Blu-ray remux:

MediaInfo:
    Audio: DTS-HD

Typoplex:
    Audio: DCA

/Martin

Hey guys,

I spent some time (my wife says too much!) surfing and researching media types and man is this a sticky wicket to get into. [I even found an old post of yours Martin, here in the Plex forums, discussing whether or not Plex/OS X/Mac Mini could even play (or passthrough) HD audio.] I ended up the XBMC forums (High-Definition Video Flagging) and I came away with the understanding that XBMC has evolved to use the FourCC codes to tag audio/video content. And I get the impression that Plex is not currently doing so.

Before the change, any DTS audio was tagged 'dca' (an acronym for 'DTS Coherent Acoustics'), as Plex is doing with Martin's Gladiator BD remux. Plex does not see that the movie soundtrack is DTS-HD MA encoded. I have updated the DTS media flags (as well as the Dolby and other flags), I'm just not sure Plex is going to be able to use them as you want. It's like Sebastian pointed out, DivX and Xvid are both tagged as 'mpeg4' (which is correct according to MPEG-4 Part 2). Plex doesn't appear to see the difference. And it appears XBMC (and maybe Plex) recognize over a dozen different PCM implementations. I only included 4.

Any way, I've got some more icons for you: a complete redo of the resolution flags (not shown) as well as some updated audio/video type flags. You can safely replace the 'media/flags/resolution' folder. I haven't put together a complete 'media/flags/type' folder replacement, so just copy/paste/replace the files. As always, backup your originals (just in case).

[attachment=5922:Flag Gallery2.png]

Dropbox file is here: [url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21558327
    /MediaFlagUpdate%2Cv2.zip"]MediaFlagUpdate,v2.zip[/url]

deg
    WoW !

Thanks a lot, the flags look amazing :)

One little thing, sorry, I think it's officially "LPCM" and not "L-PCM", please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks again
    /Martin
    gedoode wrote:
    Any way, I've got some more icons for you: a complete redo of the resolution flags (not shown) as well as some updated audio/video type flags.

Yep, thanks a bunch, those are so much better than the originals, which were already so much better than those served by PMS. It's really starting to look pretty amazing. Very good call in changing the "P" to "p".
    Thanks so much for the time and effort you put in this, it's highly appreciated.

Now that it's coming down to pixel-level prettiness, i'm wondering if i wouldn't prefer the resolution flags in the same vein than the others, without the oval backdrop. It's the only one using that and kind of sticks out as i don't really know what for. I mean i find it so much cleaner when they are just freely floating. Ultimately the same thing goes for the frame rate flags, i think they might be better without the frame. Once again just thinking out loud.

Yeah, i thought about the "not-using-FourCC" when checking out the flags. Ultimately it's not purely negative. Allows for not having to have a flag for every existing codec out there. But the flipside is not having precise information if you should wish to have it. From a practical point of view, i don't know why they've chosen to do it this way (as it seems a little restrictive), but oh well...

I've integrated everything and they are included in the latest update coming out.
    Thanks again.

Sebastian.
    edited February 2011
    se.bastian wrote:

Now that it's coming down to pixel-level prettiness, i'm wondering if i wouldn't prefer the resolution flags in the same vein than the others, without the oval backdrop. It's the only one using that and kind of sticks out as i don't really know what for. I mean i find it so much cleaner when they are just freely floating. Ultimately the same thing goes for the frame rate flags, i think they might be better without the frame. Once again just thinking out loud.

Sebastian.

I agree, I just tried the latest reFocus Grainy update and the resolution flag and frame rate flag does look a little "out of place". I think it could look even better the way Sebastian describes it.

/Martin :)
  • AljrobAljrob Members, Plex Pass Posts: 139 Plex Pass
    Great work - probably a stupid question - does anyone know how I can instruct Plex to show UK movie content/age ratings (PG etc) rather than US?
    Martin wrote:

WoW !

Thanks a lot, the flags look amazing :)

One little thing, sorry, I think it's officially "LPCM" and not "L-PCM", please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks again
    /Martin

You may be right, it's probably that way because the last site I visited had it as L-PCM. ;)

Grab the files below and just rename/replace. I'm not sold on the font, I work better when I have something to replicate. But, there is no 'official' LPCM logo. Choose one of the following and let me (and se.bastian) know which one you like best.

deg