If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Media Server setup without Internet Access

jastorinojastorino Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a plex server that I have been running at my cottage. Unfortunately there is no internet access at the cottage, so I bring up video files on a HDD and move them onto the server.

Everything was working great for a long time, but recently (the last few updates of the Plex Server), most of my video files fail to play.
I am currently running 1.1.3.2700 on a freeNAS server.

I looked through the logs and it seems that the plex server no longer keeps the codes on the server but rather goes to plex.tv to download the codecs it needs on the fly. This works great when you have an internet connection (at home it works great) but in my case it has turned my plex server at the cottage useless now.

Is it possible to somehow install all of the codecs locally so that I don't need to have an internet connection?

Thanks for any help.

Answers

• Chris CChris C Posts: 7,629Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

An internet connection is typically required the first time you play an item with particular properties (as well as a few other cases - see Internet and Network Requirements). e.g. The first time you play a file with H.264 video encoding or AC3 audio encoding.

When you play the file the first time, the necessary components will be downloaded. After that, they're stored on the server and that type of content can then be played without an internet connection.

It is not possible to pre-install everything needed, sorry.

Need help? Having trouble?
    » Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
    » Attach Log Files when reporting issues // See how to attach files in the forums
    » Name and Organize your content correctly for the best results

(no private messages for support unless I requested, please)

• jastorinojastorino Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for your response.

I tried connecting it to the internet via a 3G rocket hub and it downloaded the codec and played the file I needed.
    I disconnected it and it everything worked for a few hours.

In the morning the files stopped working again. Are the files cached permanently or only while the power is on? If the power goes out and the server reboots are the codecs gone?

Thanks

• Chris CChris C Posts: 7,629Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

The downloaded components are stored on disk. Turning off, rebooting, etc. the server shouldn't affect things. The Plex Media Server logs ought to show what happens with the problematic playback.

» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
    » Attach Log Files when reporting issues // See how to attach files in the forums

• BassebuuusBassebuuus Posts: 50Members ✭✭

@Chris C said:
    An internet connection is typically required the first time you play an item with particular properties (as well as a few other cases - see Internet and Network Requirements). e.g. The first time you play a file with H.264 video encoding or AC3 audio encoding.

When you play the file the first time, the necessary components will be downloaded. After that, they're stored on the server and that type of content can then be played without an internet connection.

It is not possible to pre-install everything needed, sorry.

I don't get it. I had this problem now, no Internet-route from my Plex server, finally found out that it tries to download codecs on the first play.

Why cant you just bundle the codecs with the installer?

• marcelhehlemarcelhehle Posts: 431Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Bassebuuus said:

Because Plex wants to know what you watch ...
    https://www.plex.tv/about/privacy-legal/

@marcelhehle said:

@Bassebuuus said:

Yeah, that's the whole reason as why my plex server only is allowed to reach the content-scrapers :)

@marcelhehle said:

@Bassebuuus said:

For the record, that's very much not true. We don't know what specific personal content you watch (and we don't want to know). Different codecs have different licensing, so for some of them, we only deliver the appropriate codec when it's actually needed the first time. (And after that, your server has it available locally.)

@Chris C said:

@marcelhehle said:

@Bassebuuus said:

For the record, that's very much not true. We don't know what specific personal content you watch (and we don't want to know). Different codecs have different licensing, so for some of them, we only deliver the appropriate codec when it's actually needed the first time. (And after that, your server has it available locally.)

Bah, my comment dissapeared.
    Long story short, It was quite easy to just manually download the codecs and move them into the /Codec folder.
    Only gotcha was that it needed a subdir made up of the version & architecture.

If you could just stop forcing cloud/online/account + telemetry so hard, none of this would be a problem. But now one has to block all outgoing traffic from Plex in the FW in order to try to keep some privacy and problems like these (cant download codecs automatically) arises.

I bet next time the codecs get updated they are expected to be in a new subdir with the new version number and by then I will probably have forgotten about all this and have to start over with troubleshooting of why plex cant play my media.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 30,984Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@Bassebuuus said:
    I bet next time the codecs get updated they are expected to be in a new subdir with the new version number and by then I will probably have forgotten about all this and have to start over with troubleshooting of why plex cant play my media.

When you update Plex Media Server to a version that needs new codecs, Plex Media Server checks what codecs you had before and it would automatically download those codecs when it is launched on the new version

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

Please do not send logs by Private Message unless specifically requested to