Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Apple TV 4 Trailers won't play?

MiniPlexMiniPlex Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello,

Apple TV 4 newest O/S / app newest Plex Pass Server build on 2012 Macmini w/ssd and 16gb ram.

Playback of media files is flawless. I noticed trailers no longer play before films. I checked app settings- set for 2 trailers pre-film. Also, trying to click play trailer fails. Just black screen while it tries to load for maybe 1/2 second. Featerettes do the same.

Any advise?

Thanks.

Comments

• pwalker1485pwalker1485 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm experiencing the same issue, its not feature I use very often but I tried to play a trailer tonight and get the exact same result (tested several different trailers after that and none worked). Hopefully someone can advise if this is a known issue or is something that needs looking at.

• ReginardReginard Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have been experiencing this on both the release and the latest beta. It's a feature I use a lot so really miss it.

I have followed the Plex article on how to get trailers to play to no avail.

Regards

• MiniPlexMiniPlex Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for the replies. I love the feature and certainly miss it. Hopefully an updated release will address it.

• taoerasertaoeraser Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Switch off "Direct Play" in the Plex settings @Apple TV4 and then trailer again plays

• jonathan123jonathan123 Posts: 62Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yep, turning off direct play fixes trailers. Ok short term fix.

• Henrik RoksvaagHenrik Roksvaag Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any news on this. Trailers are very important for me, but i left plex pass due to having issues with trailers constantly buffering if you are outside the US, if there is even more issues now then sadface

• mineal81mineal81 Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Trailers not working for me either. Next time I am in the app I will try turning off direct playback.

• CalebCCalebC Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I also have this problem. I tried disabling direct playback on the AppleTV but trailers still do not show. When I choose "Play Trailer", the screen turns black and a spinner appears for a second or so before returning to the movie description.

• colotticolotti Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I looked for that setting in ATV4 but could not find it....this also seems to affect iOS devices you don't get trailers on iPhone either with direct play enabled....seems like a pretty obvious bug in the iOS and tvOS apps no?

• WunderwallyWunderwally Posts: 397Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 2016

Working fine here (on iOS and tvOS) with Direct Play enabled. If it was a bug it has been fixed.

Edit: Nervermind...thought it was about "normal" Trailers...didn't read the part that it was about playing trailers before a movie.

Any news on a permanent fix for this?

• MiniPlexMiniPlex Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Not that I've heard.

I'll try disabling direct play and report back. What functionality will I lose with that disabled?

• DanneFrankDanneFrank Posts: 48Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is still an issue, one of the reasons I bought Plex pass was for the trailers. Is there any news of this being fixed?

It's fixed in the 1.5 beta.

• jeanloupdrjeanloupdr Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the exact same issue, not able to play any trailers

• dragonmeldragonmel Posts: 598Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Even when trailers 'worked' it was broken

With trailers set to on.. you loose the ability to select a movie with the 'play version' button for those that have 2 or more different encoded of a movie on the server.

• iamdaproiamdapro Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same for me. They work while playing from a different server or from a different device but not on my local server from my Apple TV.

Running PMS Version 1.3.2.3112
    Apple TV 4th Gen tvOS 10.0.1
    Router: Google OnHub

• iamdaproiamdapro Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It looks like v1.5 of the app has fixed this :)

• aspintoaspinto Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Trailers buffering at 0:41 secs for me on Apple TV Plex. Version of plex in apple tv is 1.9.

• RolloTomasi73RolloTomasi73 Posts: 12Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Trailers on AppleTV are acting very strange for me now.

The Movies themselves are fine, but trailers take forever to load, then play in fits and stops, I get messages my Internet connection is too slow (it is definitely not), and the trailers sometimes scrub backwards on their own - watching the timeline looks like a demon has taken control of my playback!

Has anyone else experienced this at all?

(I'm on v1.10 of the player.)