Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[ISSUE] PLEX Windows Store App & HEVC x265

Most of my videos are now HEVC x265 and play great on my FireTV 2 with direct play. However, whenever I play them using the Windows Store App, I notice that it will play fine starting out, the video will freeze while audio still plays then the video speeds up until it catches up to the audio. Anything that is x264 plays without issue and if I transcode, it plays fine as well. I have reinstalled the PLEX app and have even at one point reinstalled Windows 10 (for other reasons) and the issue persists. These same videos play just fine using MPC. Any suggestions to resolve would be greatly appreciated.

Hardware Specs:
AMD 8350 OC'd @ 4.7 GHz
16GB DDR3
MSI GTX 970

Answers

  • JusedawgJusedawg Posts: 142Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I am sure it's just some combination of x265 codec, application or hardware issue on your Windows machine. Even VLC has a hard time as of now playing them in Windows sometimes.

    I have never heard of MPC. Is it better than VLC?

  • morphenemorphene Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Media Player Classic - It's light weight like VLC and has never had any issues playing any of my x265 content.

  • JusedawgJusedawg Posts: 142Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I assume we are talking about this?

    https://mpc-hc.org/

    It does look very similar to VLC. Media Player Classic as in related to Windows Media Player or a fork of some sort back in the day?

  • morphenemorphene Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    That would be it. I don't know that it's a fork but it's made to look like the old WMP for sure.

  • JusedawgJusedawg Posts: 142Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    he he, yeah it looks very old school by today's standards. : )

  • morphenemorphene Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Still looking for a solution.

  • JusedawgJusedawg Posts: 142Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I have been testing this with several different x265 movies and can't reproduce any issue with it. The Windows 10 app does randomly crash a lot, but nothing consistent with what you are seeing. It even does it just browsing around or looking at settings.

    My first instinct would say it has something to do with your hardware setup.

    1. The overclocked CPU (This can cause weird issues)
    2. AMD in general isn't very good at playing x265 (I had one of these CPUs as an old Plex server with 32 GB ram)
    3. Not enough ram
    4. Not enough CPU in a single core

    You have an Nvidia video card so I can't blame ATI for their crappy drivers. : )

    Other than that I have no idea. I tested it on both my main machine as well as a test VM with Windows 10 and neither see this issue. They are all high-end Intel chips with a lot of ram are the only differences. My OS drives are also striped SSDs so it is super fast.

    You best bet might be to try the same setup another machine or VM.

  • Dayo26Dayo26 Posts: 1Members

    you guys should try mpv, its super light weight and fast also videos look much better because the color settings are just superb
    https://mpv.io/

  • morphenemorphene Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @Jusedawg said:
    I have been testing this with several different x265 movies and can't reproduce any issue with it. The Windows 10 app does randomly crash a lot, but nothing consistent with what you are seeing. It even does it just browsing around or looking at settings.

    My first instinct would say it has something to do with your hardware setup.

    1. The overclocked CPU (This can cause weird issues)
    2. AMD in general isn't very good at playing x265 (I had one of these CPUs as an old Plex server with 32 GB ram)
    3. Not enough ram
    4. Not enough CPU in a single core

    You have an Nvidia video card so I can't blame ATI for their crappy drivers. : )

    Other than that I have no idea. I tested it on both my main machine as well as a test VM with Windows 10 and neither see this issue. They are all high-end Intel chips with a lot of ram are the only differences. My OS drives are also striped SSDs so it is super fast.

    You best bet might be to try the same setup another machine or VM.

    It did this before I OC'd as well and on my 9590. You seem to be suggesting that perhaps this rig is under specced for x265. I assure you, it's far from it. If that were the case, I doubt another player would be playing these files just fine. I'm certain this is something specifically wrong with the PLEX app and maybe the way it utilizes AMD CPU's. Interestingly, the PLEX app does seem to use half as much CPU and slightly less memory when playing the same video simultaneously as MPC.

  • morphenemorphene Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Here's a video showing an example of the issue

  • morphenemorphene Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Still looking for a solution to this.

  • ballen205ballen205 Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    The only way I can play my HEVC videos is to disable Direct Play and Direct streaming in the Windows 10 app. It's the same way for videos with DTS audio. The down side is you'll have to transcode the video and audio.

  • morphenemorphene Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @ballen205 said:
    The only way I can play my HEVC videos is to disable Direct Play and Direct streaming in the Windows 10 app. It's the same way for videos with DTS audio. The down side is you'll have to transcode the video and audio.

    That would definitely work but I was really wanting to direct play it. Transcoding HEVC uses a lot of CPU and if I have someone else trying to transcode an HEVC video, the server has a hard time keeping up.

  • War3zlod3rWar3zlod3r Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2016

    The problem is the windows 10 app relies on the graphics card for x265 decoding in the hardware, chances are the card isn't keeping up, I have one PC with 2 GTX 980s and it gets great playback all day, and I have another PC with an older videocard that will play audio but won't play x265 video at all in the metro apps because it doesn't support x265 hardware decoding, but WMP and VLC play them fine because they are able to use codecs to assist in softare decoding. I spent a night trying for hours to figure out why I was having playback issues on this PC for the same reason you did, trying to conserve CPU usage and avoid transcode streams. Metro apps won't try to use the CPU to decode only the GPU and sadly don't support plugins or third party codecs.

  • JusedawgJusedawg Posts: 142Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @morphene said:

    @ballen205 said:
    The only way I can play my HEVC videos is to disable Direct Play and Direct streaming in the Windows 10 app. It's the same way for videos with DTS audio. The down side is you'll have to transcode the video and audio.

    That would definitely work but I was really wanting to direct play it. Transcoding HEVC uses a lot of CPU and if I have someone else trying to transcode an HEVC video, the server has a hard time keeping up.

    This is exactly what I was suggesting was the problem. Unless you have solid hardware to natively play HEVC, it will have a hard time playing it. I mean VLC are the ones who invented it and their own player has a hard time. I could easily do 20 or more of these streams with my Xeons. I had the same performance issues with an 8-core AMD as you are experiencing.

  • eyeofmaateyeofmaat Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I am experiencing the same thing for ages, but just now got annoyed enough to google it.
    Laptop is an MSI GT72
    6700HQ
    GTX980M
    SSD in raid 0, but plex itself is on another machine

    watching via web app works fine. (my go-to workaround)
    VLC works fine. (played direct from other server over the network)

    there must be some way to fix it...

  • jimi4121jimi4121 Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @War3zlod3r said:
    The problem is the windows 10 app relies on the graphics card for x265 decoding in the hardware, chances are the card isn't keeping up, I have one PC with 2 GTX 980s and it gets great playback all day, and I have another PC with an older videocard that will play audio but won't play x265 video at all in the metro apps because it doesn't support x265 hardware decoding, but WMP and VLC play them fine because they are able to use codecs to assist in softare decoding. I spent a night trying for hours to figure out why I was having playback issues on this PC for the same reason you did, trying to conserve CPU usage and avoid transcode streams. Metro apps won't try to use the CPU to decode only the GPU and sadly don't support plugins or third party codecs.

    I would have to agree this is your issue. I had a problem playing H265 on my HTPC and ending up changing the video card to one that supports HEVC hardware decoding. It would appear from a quick look at a couple of nvidia forum threads that the 980 does not.
    I have had no issues with HEVC direct play via plex since.

Sign In or Register to comment.