If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Audio stops playing after 10 or 15 minutes for local music files.

slysalimanderslysalimander Posts: 45Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I use the Android Plex player version 4.32.3.676.
My server is fully updated and running in Ubuntu.

I use "sync" on my server to send all of my audio files to my phone. This allows me to play local files on my phone without using data.

About a week ago this problem started. The player will only play 2 or 3 songs and then it will stop in the middle of a song for no reason. I have to start a new song in order for Plex to begin working again.

This bug makes the audio player unusable. If I am on a bike ride I would need to stop and get my phone out of my backpack. If I am in my car I would need to pick up my phone while I am driving to start a new song.

Besides this bug there are a few other things that I wish would work.

When I am looking at the local songs on my phone there is no "random" button unless you are looking at a specific album. I can not create or use any playlists in local music files. The fact that these options are missing and now the player will stop randomly makes the Plex music player unusable.

It works much better when it is connected to the server. You can select "random" when you are looking a an artist and it will play all of the artists songs on random. This option is missing for local content in the android app.

I do not have this bug when it is streaming music from the server.

Comments

• slysalimanderslysalimander Posts: 45Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I forgot to add that I am using Android 7.0 in a NEXUS 6P

• kdeaconkdeacon Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm seeing the same issue. Using android 7.0 on a Nexus 6p. Plex 5.1.1.199
    Stops playing close to the end of the song (about 20 secs from the end) after 2 or 3 songs. Once stopped, you can hit pause, start, move the bar, etc... and it won't restart. However, moving to the next song clears it up and it will play fine for the next 2 or 3 songs.

• computerfr33kcomputerfr33k Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Anybody know if plex even knows about this or has a fix planned because this is super annoying.

• sixonessixones Posts: 119Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

If you could provide us with logs from your device when the issue occurs, we can take a look into it.

For information about gathering logs, see the support page: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201573117-Android-and-GoogleTV-Logs

Where should I email the device logs to?

@sixones Any progress or updates on this issue? It's really getting annoying not being able to use my phone to play my music.

• jesusmcjesusmc Plex Employee Posts: 157Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@computerfr33k Thanks for providing some logs! I've been checking them and unfortunately I only see how the system is killing the audio service the app runs to provide music playback, but it's at the beginning of the log you've provided so I cannot see all the information around that event. Do you have any app/system setting to "enforce" app cleaning? For example, an app to clean apps that are in background for example. Could you also grab the logs right after you find the issue? That way we'll be able to check information around the event.
    Thanks in advance

@jesusMC I do not have any 3rd party app cleaning apps/services. The only thing I can suspect is doze is killing the audio service because this only happens when I run marshmallow or nougat. I have a tablet running Android lollipop with cm and it doesn't have this issue.

@jesusMC here's a full log file of the issue happening.

@jesusMC any updates regarding this issue. I would really love to be able to use plex on my phone for offline local playback without having to keep on skipping and replaying songs for it too work without it stopping playback.

• jesusmcjesusmc Plex Employee Posts: 157Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Hi @computerfr33k , even with the logs you provided (thanks again) is not easy to know what's causing the app audio service being killed by the system. It's configured in a way it should be kept by the system to provide music playback (could you confirm that after seeing the issue the music notification is removed?).
    @kdeacon @slysalimander Could you post some logs right after seeing the issue? This way we could check if you are all affected by the same issue.

Thanks in advance

When the issue occurs, the notification is still present and able to skip to the next song in order to continue playing music for another 10 - 15 mins. But when trying to use the pause button from the notification after the music service has crashed, it doesn't actually do anything and so the only thing you can do is skip to the next song.

• digitalfrogdigitalfrog Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue :-(

• epgulbrandsenepgulbrandsen Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Doze isn't killing this. I've removed optimization and have the same problem. Only two things work, plugging the phone into power, or leaving the screen on. But other of those steps will allow it to play without stopping.

I'm on nougat 7.1.1 on Nexus 6p

@digitalfrog @epgulbrandsen Could you please upload some logs in order to verify you are affected by the same issue? Thanks in advance

• Ben and GemmaBen and Gemma Posts: 42Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
  • nukelheadmpnukelheadmp Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having the same issue on a Google (LG I think) Nexus 5X with Android version 7.0. I will post my log as soon as I can.

• brammetjuhbrammetjuh Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Its seems the same problem. So here you have the log file.

• brammetjuhbrammetjuh Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jesusMC Have you seening the log file. Regarding your post

"Thanks for providing some logs! I've been checking them and unfortunately I only see how the system is killing the audio service the app runs to provide music playback, but it's at the beginning of the log you've provided so I cannot see all the information around that event. Do you have any app/system setting to "enforce" app cleaning?"

No, i dont have any cleaning app.

@brammetjuh yeah, I've been investigating your logs. Apparently, the system is killing the app audio component (even when we are explicitly saying it shouldn't) therefore it's kind of hard to know the reason behind that. We'll try to find a solution for it as soon as possible.

Thanks for your help