Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Permanently disable "Unwatched" icons in ALL views?

Is there a way to permanently disable "Unwatched" icons in ALL views?

First of all, put your pitchforks away; but I personally think this is one of the most useless and annoying features ever. Why isn't there a way to disable this? Currently the only setting affects LIST views (which I can't imagine many people use anyways), and in every other view those pesky little numbers still linger! I'm a big boy and am capable of retaining memories longer than a goldfish -- I don't need or want Plex to keep displaying this.

SERIOUSLY hoping someone here has a solution or can simply tell me "Oh, you missed the setting right here!" to change this small yet persistent annoyance!

Comments

• trumpy81trumpy81 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 11,063 Plex Ninja

Go to Plex settings->web->general and turn off 'Show Unwatched Icons'.

I don't see why you consider this an annoyance, I find it to be very useful, especially when you consider that I have ~6000 Movies. Knowing what you have watched and not watched can help prevent watching Movies you have already watched.

It's not possible to remember everything you have watched when you have that many Movies and then you have TV Shows as well, knowing what episode you have watched or not watched is just as valuable then also.

But each to their own I guess.

Happy Plexing! :)

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks
  • RaxinoxRaxinox Members Posts: 2

Thanks for the attempt at assisting but as mentioned, that setting ONLY applies to "List View" I'm sad to say. Since Plex sorts everything so nicely in grid view with preview posters for movies and shows I would love to keep that view active -- WITHOUT the unwatched icons.

I have a very very extensive collection as well, but they are all things I have watched before. I don't need or want Plex to tell me "Hey, here's all the stuff you have to RE-WATCH a second time." Seriously, this setting is unnecessary. But like I said, this is just my opinion / preference.

• jvrichiejvrichie Members, Plex Pass Posts: 39 Plex Pass
    edited January 2017

I'd love an answer to this too. Preferably without the attitude everyone wants to give for not liking something that they do.
    That option for me has always been unselected but doesn't help at all since I do not want that count at the top of everything.

I'll be damned if I'm gonna go through each movie and TV show manually. Really hard to believe this isn't under the users control.

• MikeG6.5MikeG6.5 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,416 Plex Pass
    edited January 2017

While I agree that the option to turn the watched icons off might not be the "best" idea ever, the fact that it's being asked for means there are people that have a valid use case for it.

Therefor it shouldn't matter why someone doesn't want the feature or why they might consider it an "annoyance". What should matter is how to satisfy their request.

So here's one way to do it for movies: (This only works for the currently logged in account on the Web App. This works for THAT ACCOUNT and that account only. I don't think you can do this on most client apps, but might be wrong. Check your preferred client app for the options.)

If you go into list view, (Or any view, for that matter) you should see an icon that looks like a box with a check mark in it. You can use this to tag multiple items. Go to the top of your list, and hit the box, and click on the first one. Then scroll down your list to the bottom, and holding the shift key, click on the last item in your list.

Now you should have a circle with a check mark in it show up on the left, which says "Mark as Watched". Hit that and sit back and wait as the server marks all of the media as "Watched".

Now, since all of your current media is marked as "watched" you need to worry about anything you might add, so you can turn this off as well. The beauty is, you can use a similar mechanism for this, but it takes using a filter.

In List View you should see an icon made of three lines. This is titled "options" but it's really more correctly termed filters. click this, then click "More Filters" and the top on the list there is "Unwatched". hit that and it shows you everything you've added that doesn't have a "Watched" status. Then just go back and multi-select, and hit the "Mark as Watched" and you're set.

You can do something similar to TV shows and now you've seen it, you should be able to figure that out on your own. (The process is exactly the same.)

HTH

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Members Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

@Raxinox said:
    Thanks for the attempt at assisting but as mentioned, that setting ONLY applies to "List View" I'm sad to say. Since Plex sorts everything so nicely in grid view with preview posters for movies and shows I would love to keep that view active -- WITHOUT the unwatched icons.

I have a very very extensive collection as well, but they are all things I have watched before. I don't need or want Plex to tell me "Hey, here's all the stuff you have to RE-WATCH a second time." Seriously, this setting is unnecessary. But like I said, this is just my opinion / preference.

This is yet another example of the Plex design process wherein Plex knows what they want and what you want doesn't matter. Plex is also notorious for designing features they think are wonderful. So wonderful they don't bother designing a switch to turn them off for those people that don't think they're that wonderful.

Plex thinks 'the little things' don't matter, when, in fact, it's 'the little things' that really do matter. Death by a thousand cuts still results in Death. Plex is always and forever more blowing their own toes off when they design this way. If there was more attention paid to 'the little things' more folks like you and I would be more inclined to support them with our cash. Mr. Wrigley was a forward thinker when he designed a great stick of gum that sold for 1 cent. Sell 500 billion of those and.... poof... Jackpot!

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

• WanderglobeWanderglobe Members Posts: 25 ✭✭

I'll add my 2 cents here. I work at a remove resort and use Plex in the staff lounge on the TV there. As we don't have internet access I let the staff watch my collection. Disabling the on deck was nice but also removing the recently viewed would be a bonus. Most staff think that I only have 5 episodes of a certain show and they skip over it when all 40 episodes are there, it's just the watched counter that's displaying.

Just a nice suggestion and probably a simple add.

• WanderglobeWanderglobe Members Posts: 25 ✭✭

Disregard the last post. I would have edited it but for some reason, after years of being a member here, I have to wait for approval on a post??? Anyway, go into the folder you've created for your TV shows, click the small circle in the top left of the show poster and then click the eyeball to the right and select Toggle Watched. It takes away the number and you can do an entire folder/genre at once.