If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

play version bug?

Zack HolmesZack Holmes Posts: 43Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

hey guys. watching a movie tonight in plex on chromecast that has a 3d version and a 2d version. chromecast defaults to the 3d version and when I click play version and click the 2d version, it still plays the 3d version. I'm on a g1 chromecast and iOS player. when I disable casting, it plays the proper version on my phone and I can switch between the two. chromecast only plays the one. thoughts?

Answers

• anyadfaszaanyadfasza Posts: 2Members

I have the same problem too!
    I tried with more PMS version (0.9.15.6, 1.1.4) but neither worked.
    Plex for Android version: 4.32.3.676
    Chromecast firmware version: 1.20.66189

• DanKottalDanKottal Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Í have kinda the same problem.
    I have optimized versions of some of my movies. And was watching one of them on my ChromeCast and i couldnt get it to play any other version than the optimized one (without subs). Took it off ChromeCast and it worked fine.

• Zack HolmesZack Holmes Posts: 43Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 2016

well... that sucks. :)

• Zack HolmesZack Holmes Posts: 43Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is still an issue.. anyone have any resolution? Can I submit a bug report?

• iratemonkiratemonk Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes, this is still an issue. Surprise surprise, yet another crippling oversight/bug that hasn't gotten any attention for almost a year. Sigh.

• sbrudenellsbrudenell Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Bump. This issue is a year old and still affects Android and iOS players, and PMP playback targets as well.

Why is there no official response?

This bug was first opened 376 days ago. It still exists with the following software versions.

PMS version: 1.9.6.4385
    Android App version (via Settings menu): 6.7.1.2498 (c5c6871a)
    PMP version: 1.3.10.751-dfcd90a6
    Chromecast Ultra: System firmware version: 96538
    Chromecast Ultra: Cast firmware version: 1.27.96538

This bug was first opened 386 days ago. It still exists with the following software versions.

PMS version: 1.9.6.4401
    Android App version (via Settings menu): 6.7.1.2498 (c5c6871a)
    PMP version: 1.3.11.758-4be89b5c
    Chromecast Ultra: System firmware version: 96538
    Chromecast Ultra: Cast firmware version: 1.27.96538

This bug was first opened 394 days ago. It still exists with the following software versions.

PMS version: 1.9.7.4460
    Android App version (via Settings menu): 6.9.0.2683 (c21bd300)
    Chromecast Ultra: System firmware version: 100555
    Chromecast Ultra: Cast firmware version: 1.28.100555

This bug was first opened 408 days ago. It still exists with the following software versions.

PMS version: 1.10.0.4516
    Android App version (via Settings menu): 6.9.0.2683 (c21bd300)
    Chromecast Ultra: System firmware version: 100555
    Chromecast Ultra: Cast firmware version: 1.28.100555

• venkatpasumarthivenkatpasumarthi Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue with IOS app. Latest versions of both server and client. Chromecast Ultra.

edited January 6

This bug was first opened 447 days ago. It still exists in the following software versions.

PMS version: 1.11.0.4666
    Android App version: 6.11.3.3147 (bb34b27a)
    Chromecast Ultra: 1.29.106401
    Chromecast: 1.29.104827
    NVIDIA Shield Chromecast built-in: 1.29.104695

This level of neglect for such a widely-deployed platform with no communication is beyond unreasonable.

Is this feature broken on purpose?

Is this planned obsolescence?

The Nvidia Shield native app has (correct) play version support that never broke, had early 4K/HDR support, has native refresh rate switching support, and is the only set-top platform with live TV/DVR support.

The Chromecast has core features neglected, and delayed HEVC/4K/HDR support for over a year after launch of the Ultra, with no explanation.

Do you guys have a deal with Nvidia to keep all other clients broken, so people will buy more Shields?

I love Plex dearly but these kinds of political games make me really sad.

• mdebenhammdebenham Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Adding my voice to the above, additionally is there a reason Plex does not have a proper bug reporting tool to separate out the calls for help from actual bugs that require developer attention?