If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

I cant fast forward or rewind

reebzorreebzor Posts: 47Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
Whenever I am watching something, if I try to fast forward or rewind plex just locks up. Sometimes the whole computer locks up and I need to hard shut it down. Plex is running on my Mac Mini connected via gigabit ethernet to the PMS. Fast Forward/ Rewind would sortof be a nice feature to have. Does anyone else have problems like this? How can I fix it?

Comments

• james.mackiejames.mackie IP Challenged Ninja Posts: 1,184Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    reebzor wrote:

Whenever I am watching something, if I try to fast forward or rewind plex just locks up. Sometimes the whole computer locks up and I need to hard shut it down. Plex is running on my Mac Mini connected via gigabit ethernet to the PMS. Fast Forward/ Rewind would sortof be a nice feature to have. Does anyone else have problems like this? How can I fix it?

Weird. We'll need some better information:

- Mac OS version
    - Plex Version
    - File type and codec (H.264/MPEG-2 etc...)

Have you tried doing a 'Clean Plex Install'? By that, I mean:

- Quit PMS
    - Delete the Plex app in your Applications folder
    - Delete 2 folders ~/Library/Application Support/Plex and Plex Media Server

Re-installing Plex from the latest version available on plexapp.com then let us know how it goes.

James

These resources are your friends! The Plex Help Center | The Plex Forums | Forum Search is DEFINITELY your friend!

Check the Plex Media Preparation Guide! | Learn how to collect Log filesGet MediaInfo to analyse video files

Plex Media Server: Mac OS X and ReadyNAS Pro 6 | Plex Clients: Mac Mini 2010 2.66Ghz, 2Gb RAM, AppleTV Gen 2, iPhone 3GS | LG 56" DLP-TV | Sherwood AV Amp | Storage: ReadyNAS Pro 6 with 6 x 2Gb Hitachi HDD for 8Tb storage | Network: Cat 6 cabled, 1000BaseT

• reebzorreebzor Posts: 47Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Mac OS 10.6.6
    Plex version 0.9.1.13
    and it seems to happen with almost every filetype. The most common is x264 MKV's but there are a good dealof xvid/divx avi's.

I should note that this happens with EVERY video I try to fast forward, it works for a while but will eventually freeze. Rewinds freeze almost instantly.

I will try to do the fresh install, hopefully that will help.
  • arara_70arara_70 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    reebzor wrote:

Mac OS 10.6.6
    Plex version 0.9.1.13
    and it seems to happen with almost every filetype. The most common is x264 MKV's but there are a good dealof xvid/divx avi's.

I should note that this happens with EVERY video I try to fast forward, it works for a while but will eventually freeze. Rewinds freeze almost instantly.

I will try to do the fresh install, hopefully that will help.

Hi,

SAME issues here. I´ll try to elaborate a little more.

Since I gave up to use external USB enclosures on macmini, I use my own home made NAS (Freenas 0.6/0.7) for home data sharing. Good idea at beginning, but keep 2 machines powered on just to watch/listen anything on the 3rd sounds to expensive to me :) At that time, when my macmini was acting both as PMS/client (content served to macmini PMS via NAS as media repository) I don´t remeber any FF/RWD trouble watching on clients (macmini/macbook/hackintosh).

On "Plex 9 for windows" launch, I shuted down FreeNAS. The ability to run both PMS/Media Repository os same hardware seems to be the optimal solution (remembering Elan, Al Gore said AMEN). But, FF/RWD issues arose on that new setup (windows pms + clients) ...

Few days ago Linux PMS was launched. Thanks dev team, its a dream came true. So, let's reconfigure things ! Goodbye Windows server, ubuntu came to play. No license fees, ligther OS, better RAID management, reliability etc etc etc. Thanks again !!!!!

I wish I could bring you (me) good news, but even with Linux, those FF/RWD problems persists. So I start to search and found this post. As James told, totally wiped Plex (Plex application, Library/App support/Plex and PMS) from macmini, did a 0.9.2.7 fresh install and the problem still there (thanks god I remeber to backup skins folder).

So I run a few tests with different codecs/resolutions. When watching SD content, theres no problem on FF/RWD, even at 16x. Divx or h264 codec, avi or mkv container, stereo, ac3 or dts audio. Works fine. For enhanced definition (480p), I can FF/RWD at 2x for various minutes, at 4x for few minutes and with 8x plex jump out the movie and returns to movies list. For hd content (720p), I can FF at 2x for one or two minutes only (cant FF at 4x, 8x, 16x). After this, same behaviour. Jump out and return to film list (sometimes returns to OSX, crashing Plex). No tests on 1080p :-D

Description about hw/sw at home:

PMS:
    - AMD sempron 140 (2.7 GHZ) plus 4G DDR3 1333MHz (low budget cpu, I know. But I think I'll not use transcode/reencode with my PMS clients)
    - Windows 2008 R2 (1st attempt to separate PMS from clients)
    - Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (2nd and definitive choice)

Clients:
    - Mac Mini C2D 1.83GHz plus 4G DDR2 667Mhz, Intel GMA950, OSX 10.6.7
    - Macbook Pro C2D 2.4GHz plus 4G DDR2 667MHz, Nvidia 8600GT, OSX 10.6.7
    - Hackintosh C2Q 2.33GHz plus 2G DDR2 667MHz, ATI Radeon 2600XT, OSX 10.5.8 (sorry apple, I swear I´ll buy an iMac when their prices became affordable on my country)

Clients and PMS connected with cat5e cables (maximum 50 meters cable lenght) and one switch (Encore 8 ports unmanaged gigabit, entry level one)

Thanks plex dev team / plex community. Advice/Hints are welcome !!!!!

Armando
    Up ;) Really ... no one else with same problem ???
  • jon.fifejon.fife Posts: 7Members
    arara_70 wrote:

Up ;) Really ... no one else with same problem ???

I had issues fast-forwarding and rewinding 1080p videos (it would crash the viewer or sometimes Plex entirely), but they were fixed with the ffmpeg update that Elan posted: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/17385-ffmpeg-version-any-plans-on-updating-reasons-for-not-updating/page__view__findpost__p__105248
  • yanivmeyeryanivmeyer Posts: 49Members ✭✭
    Dev's,

I would like to add myself to the list of users experiencing this problem. Here is my setup.

PMS 0.9.2.7 running on Windows 7 Exnterprise
    8GB RAM
    AMD Phenim II 1090T
    1TB System Hard Disk (7200 RPM)
    2TB Media Hard Disk (7200RPM)

Plex Client (0.9.2.7) on Mac Mini
    4GB RAM
    Snow Leapard (All up to date via Software Update)
    Core 2 Duo
    Connected to Sony AV receiver via HDMI with pass through to Samsung Plasma

Everything is connected over a Gigabit Linksys Switch

In monitoring the ethernet throughput on my PMS server (Windows 7 system), depending on how fast I am fast forwarding or rewinding, at 32x, The max throughput I see when playing a 10GB MKV 1080P file is around 20MB/s (Megabytes). It stays at that throughput until just before the PMS client on the Mini exits out of the movie and returns to the movies list screen.

I have done some troubleshooting and see that if I enable the PMS on the Mini and play the same movie on the hard disk of the Windows System over an ethernet share I can fast forward and rewind to my heart's content.

What can I provide to help isolate the cause and hence speed up a resolution.

Keep up the good work!!!

I had issues fast-forwarding and rewinding 1080p videos (it would crash the viewer or sometimes Plex entirely), but they were fixed with the ffmpeg update that Elan posted: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/17385-ffmpeg-version-any-plans-on-updating-reasons-for-not-updating/page__view__findpost__p__105248

Hi mazerrackham,

First, thanks for your suggestion ! But I don't think ff/rwd problem is related to ffmpeg version. When I copy some movies/shows to mac mini hard drive n set another PMS directly on mac mini (same ffmpeg, same plex client) I can't reproduce the problem. With both PMS and plex client (0.9.2.7) on the same machine, ff/rwd works like a charm ;)

Seems to me that's network/protocol or PMS/hardware related. If some of the devs want to dig in this question, let me know how to help (logs, strace from Linux PMS, network/protocol dumps etc).

Thanks again,

Armando
  • jon.fifejon.fife Posts: 7Members
    arara_70 wrote:

Hi mazerrackham,

First, thanks for your suggestion ! But I don't think ff/rwd problem is related to ffmpeg version. When I copy some movies/shows to mac mini hard drive n set another PMS directly on mac mini (same ffmpeg, same plex client) I can't reproduce the problem. With both PMS and plex client (0.9.2.7) on the same machine, ff/rwd works like a charm ;)

Seems to me that's network/protocol or PMS/hardware related. If some of the devs want to dig in this question, let me know how to help (logs, strace from Linux PMS, network/protocol dumps etc).

Thanks again,

Armando

I don't know for sure, but it seems like the newer ffmpeg is more tolerant of buffering issues. As I said, it fixed the issue in my case but I was having buffering issues with local files and not streaming ones.
  • felixrisingfelixrising Posts: 15Members ✭✭

I don't know for sure, but it seems like the newer ffmpeg is more tolerant of buffering issues. As I said, it fixed the issue in my case but I was having buffering issues with local files and not streaming ones.

I have also been experiencing issues with latest version of plex running (0.9.2.7) on osx 10.6.7 streaming from current beta of plex media server for linux.

Initially the issue just seemed to exhibit during the last half of the movie if I tried to ff or rw it would simply exit to the movies/tv show list. However its seemed to get worse, with intermittent exits from the playing movie when I try and ff rw at any specific stage of the movie, (always from the same area if for example I was trying to ff or rw to a specific spot, it will crash out every time when I approach that spot). This only seems to happen with 1080p content, but I couldn't say for sure whether thats the only content type I've had issues with.

I am in the process of a clean re-install of the client as previously suggested. Will let you know how that goes.

Cheers
  • felixrisingfelixrising Posts: 15Members ✭✭
    edited June 2011

I have also been experiencing issues with latest version of plex running (0.9.2.7) on osx 10.6.7 streaming from current beta of plex media server for linux.

Initially the issue just seemed to exhibit during the last half of the movie if I tried to ff or rw it would simply exit to the movies/tv show list. However its seemed to get worse, with intermittent exits from the playing movie when I try and ff rw at any specific stage of the movie, (always from the same area if for example I was trying to ff or rw to a specific spot, it will crash out every time when I approach that spot). This only seems to happen with 1080p content, but I couldn't say for sure whether thats the only content type I've had issues with.

I am in the process of a clean re-install of the client as previously suggested. Will let you know how that goes.

Cheers

The problem persists. I never seem to be able to FF/RW after I'm more than 30 minutes in (approx.). I have this issue with both 720p and 1080p content, I can't confirm if SD content also has the issue.

I just checked, and the problem doesn't seem to exhibit when I use the keyboard forward and back keys, only with OSD and Apple Remote.

Cheers.. would LOVE a fix!
  • adyady Posts: 44Members ✭✭
    I am having the same problems running 720p/1080p files, really annoying!
  • jph33jph33 Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Was this ever solved? I’m having the same issue on my Roku and Samsung Smart TV clients. The server is on a NUC running Ubuntu 16.0.4.

If I fast forward or rewind any video, the screen just hangs at “13%”; and I have to reboot my PMS to get it working again.