Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Cortana commands

I'm trying to use Cortana for Windows 10 with Plex but when I try the commands either Groove opens and tries to play music or a search opens in Microsoft Edge

Answers

• olobleyolobley Posts: 29 Plex Pass
    edited November 2016

Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm trying myself, and my Windows 10 build recognizes what I say, but then either fires up groove or searches for things on bing :(
    Edit, forgot to add, this is on a Windows Desktop (x64) running Windows 10 Pro

• TheMooDudeTheMooDude Posts: 187 Plex Pass

+1 : Cortana requests for "Play the movie Airplane! on Plex" gives me nothing but a web search. Similarly "Play the artist Radiohead on Plex" gives me nothing. Win10 Pro, en-gb. Perhaps only supported on en-us?

• vanstinatorvanstinator Plex for Windows Posts: 657 Plex Employee

@legion99 we've seen Groove behave this way on some of our machines as well. Make sure your microphone is configured for Cortana. One thing I found helpful was modifying the volume settings for the mic I was using by using the boost volume controls.

@olobley What language is your OS set to?

@TheMooDude I believe we're targeting en-us but in our testing saw support for other locales. I'll open an issue to investigate this further.

• legion99legion99 Posts: 9 Plex Pass

@olobley No still no solution. The commands that are supposed to work just don't. They open up web searches instead.

@vanstinator it's not an issue with the commands not being audible. Cortana displays the commands as I speak so I know it's hearing me correctly they just do not work.

• Samuel02Samuel02 Posts: 3 ✭✭

Same here, I'd love to use Cortana on my surface but it's just broke, she can hear me perfectly because what I'm saying is typed out, Plex just doesn't get passed the info.

• vanstinatorvanstinator Plex for Windows Posts: 657 Plex Employee

@Samuel02 we'll have a fix out soon to address voice commands not working on non en-us systems.

@legion99 I understand what your problem is as I ran into the same issue during development. Cortana might show you text that looks exactly like what you said and it'll still route it over to Groove. I've found that less accurate microphones tend to cause this to happen more often than not. Good news is there are some new APIs in the Creators Update that allow developers to target music commands better. I'll look and see if those will solve our problem.

• grimmjhgrimmjh Posts: 6 Plex Pass

I have this same problem, it always opens groove or does a web search. I have tried 3 different mics.

• rtm135rtm135 Posts: 41 Plex Pass

Cortana is definitely broken on 1703 (Creators Update). None of the commands outlined here work. Cortana either says she can't play [media] on Plex or does a web search.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/225937/cortana-guide

• SirLagSirLag Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Much like @rtm135 I can't get Cortana to work with plex, also with the message "Cortana can't play [Media] on Plex".
    I am on creator update (1703) and build 15063.138

• anthonwsanthonws Posts: 70 Plex Pass
    edited April 27

Same here.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/260252/cortana-plex-windows-10-mobile-insider-fast-not-working#latest

Reported this in February this year.

I'm using my Lumia 950 XL for this. With Groove everything is spot on.

• jackmeatjackmeat Posts: 53 ✭✭

anything ever happen with this? I get the same thing as everyone else has posted.

Nope. The +400 million PC's around the World are not sufficient to convince Plex to invest in this.

• jclaydon1969jclaydon1969 Posts: 10 Plex Pass

Well, to be fair there may be issues that are beyond their control, but then again if that were true, I imagine they would have posted about it by now.. ponder

Originally I thought the plex player might have to be running, but that hasn't resolved anything for me

@jclaydon1969 said:
    Well, to be fair there may be issues that are beyond their control, but then again if that were true, I imagine they would have posted about it by now.. ponder

Originally I thought the plex player might have to be running, but that hasn't resolved anything for me

It might be out of their control. But like you said, a simple post explaining that would suffice. And at least allowed us to redirect our efforts in helping Plex, like going directly to Windows Feedback Hub and opening or upvoting the possible bug/RFC.

Hey Plex Ninjas!

We realize you're in love with Alexa these days, but can we get an update on this?

Naw, I have all kinds of issues with Alexa also. "I am having trouble with your plex skill right now" or whatever Alexa says all the time. Neither seem to like plex very much.

@jackmeat So is Alexa worth the hype? It appears that the AI space is really heating up. Google had a lot to say about it this year.

https://theverge.com/2017/5/17/15655618/google-io-2017-keynote-live-stream-video

@rtm135 Thanks for reminding me to come back and update my comment about issues with alexa. I figured the problem out. For alexa to work properly, the plex server must be able to communicate with the outside world (i suppose her commands are in the cloud) so when remote access isn't functioning properly, neither will alexa. Makes perfect sense and I kind of ran across that issue on accident. So anyway, alexa is maybe not worth a ton, but it is quite useful. I only am using it via the firestick, but now that I get a bit further into it, I can see some uses. Just like cortana, at first a novelty, but then you realize it can be quite useful. I do enjoy going from a powered off tv to playing the next episode of a tv show i am watching (last night supergirl) in one simple command.

It appears Cortana support has been fixed on PC. I just tested some music and tv show commands and everything worked as expected.