If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

No Internet No Plex?

havinabubblehavinabubble Posts: 35Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

...just an observation the other day when my ISP went down, briefly

I was unable to view Plex from my ATV3 is that right?

I could view movies from Droid and iPad clients, just not Apple TV

obviously my ATV3 is pushing DNS requests to my Synology NAS (Private IPv4 address schema 172.16.x.x) so that I can use the TRAILERS icon.

and my router provides a private resolution for a fully qualified name should anything ask for that...

but I was surprised to only get the following two icons when the Internet plug was pulled

Should I investigate further or is this how Apple TV3 behaves when the Internet goes black?
(doesnt happen much, so never worried before)

Synology DS415play | Plex Media Server 1.7.5.4035 | Apple TV4 | Plex App v4.4.1
Nexus 6P | iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) | MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) | iPad Air | iPad 3 | iPad Pro

Best Answer

Answers

• wahlman.jwahlman.j Posts: 2,564Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 2016

I personally create a hotspot on my phone to load the icons on the aTV while dns is set to auto then once they are loaded I point the aTV dns back to my normal plexconnect host and sign out of plex on pms to use plexconnect locally whenever I lose my normal isp.

OSX apps : OpenPlex // UAS installer OpenPlex by Wahlman.j (Source Code), CyberGhost84 (GUI) & Flipman6 (Obj-C)

iOS Firmware links: Firmware // Firmware Limits OpenPlex app or assistance. Donations appreciated US-$ // EUR

Click my username and message me if you need Teamviewergif <----Install this for assistance.

(1) Locally owned PMS Mac 10.9.5 i7-4770k haswell 32gb 1866 ddr3 with e-sata rocket raid 2302 Raid-5 set of (4) 5TB HD (15TB usable) in a 10-bay DAGE1040BL (2) Jailbroken aTV2's on iOS 5.3 (6.1.4) (portable PlexConnect host's) (9) aTV3's on mixed iOS (1) iPad 3, (1) iPad mini 2 retina, (4) iPhone 4s, all jailbroken on 8.1.1 all running latest official Plex for iOS & PlexConnect for iOS. Airbubble.apk (265 initial buffer frames) for android devices or airfloat for iOS devices to airplay aTV audio to Sol Republic Tracks HD V10.

• havinabubblehavinabubble Posts: 35Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

so in the event normal ISP access is down the AppleTV is pretty useless as an internal only device?

I follow what you are doing by creating a hotspot, unfortunately it wouldn't help me as cell phone coverage is next to nothing here and I rely on a cellphone booster, which uses the normal ISP net. No net, means no cellphone: is how it works in my home.

was just surprised that no net meant no Apple TV to watch films via Plex

i can still DS video and AirPlay, but have been trying to adopt Plex full time

Nexus 6P | iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) | MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) | iPad Air | iPad 3 | iPad Pro

• wahlman.jwahlman.j Posts: 2,564Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

No net doesn't mean no plex. Just don't reset your aTV when you lose your normal ISP next time.

OSX apps : OpenPlex // UAS installer OpenPlex by Wahlman.j (Source Code), CyberGhost84 (GUI) & Flipman6 (Obj-C)

iOS Firmware links: Firmware // Firmware Limits OpenPlex app or assistance. Donations appreciated US-$ // EUR

Click my username and message me if you need Teamviewergif <----Install this for assistance.

(1) Locally owned PMS Mac 10.9.5 i7-4770k haswell 32gb 1866 ddr3 with e-sata rocket raid 2302 Raid-5 set of (4) 5TB HD (15TB usable) in a 10-bay DAGE1040BL (2) Jailbroken aTV2's on iOS 5.3 (6.1.4) (portable PlexConnect host's) (9) aTV3's on mixed iOS (1) iPad 3, (1) iPad mini 2 retina, (4) iPhone 4s, all jailbroken on 8.1.1 all running latest official Plex for iOS & PlexConnect for iOS. Airbubble.apk (265 initial buffer frames) for android devices or airfloat for iOS devices to airplay aTV audio to Sol Republic Tracks HD V10.

• havinabubblehavinabubble Posts: 35Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@wahlman.j said:
    No net doesn't mean no plex. Just don't reset your aTV when you lose your normal ISP next time.

sorry I'll rephrase: no net no plex via AppleTV3. I could get to it via droid and iPad

I didn't reset it. When I turned it on that was the screen I got which I assumed was due to a lack of Internet/real world DNS

...because ATV diverts its DNS requests to my Synology (to make PlexConnect work), I figured I would still be able to use the Trailers button, but Apple TV seems to hide all buttons in the event that the net is turned off