If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Volume Control via Android Device when casting to Chromecast

Comments

• tb87tb87 Posts: 30Members ✭✭

You didn't forget to restart the server, right?

• whatsisnamewhatsisname Posts: 15Members ✭✭

yes restarted the server couple of times. no change.

• christian.drewing@gmail.comchristian.drewing@gmail.com Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Why don't Plex give a f*** about this issue? Plenty of people seem to have this problem. Me, too.

• schreineradamschreineradam Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here...

• envikxenvikx Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 12

Same issue here...

Still no one working on this?

• jasoncurriejasoncurrie Posts: 1Members

Also have this same issue and verified that the proposed fix earlier in the thread did not work (my audio channel was already set to "2"). Please give us some sort of response here Plex...

• stream_me_sidewaysstream_me_sideways Posts: 1Members

Having the same problem, Chromecast v2, Plex server running as unraid docker, casting from Android app and web portal, both unable to change volume (slider moves on screen, but every value is max volume, except none is mute). Volume works as expected when casting from YouTube.

• borchgrevinkborchgrevink Posts: 215Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here. Any news?

• TiboLeGentlemanTiboLeGentleman Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I haven't this problem with mine. Android 7 on Samsung S6 Edge+ on a Plex Windows Server.
    Volume response correctly with Plex Android App. Even if the phone screen is locked/shut down.
    With every kind ,of quality/codec...

tibo - what server version number and app version number are you running?

• skogsmaskinskogsmaskin Posts: 7Members ✭✭
    edited August 23

I had this problem as well. The problem happens when the video has DTS audio. But I found a solution.

I managed to fix it with editing the profile for Chromecast:

MacOS:

/Applications/Plex Media Server.app/Contents/Resources/Profiles/Chromecast.xml

Windows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Profiles\Chromecast.xml

Linux (may vary from distro to distro):

/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Profiles/Chromecast.xml

I added 'ac3' in the audio codecs lists like so:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Client name="Chromecast">
      <!-- Author: Plex Inc. -->
      <TranscodeTargets>
        <VideoProfile protocol="http" container="mkv" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac,mp3,ac3" context="streaming" />
        <MusicProfile container="mkv" codec="opus" />
        <PhotoProfile container="jpeg" />
        <SubtitleProfile container="ass" codec="ass" />
      </TranscodeTargets>
      <CodecProfiles>
        <VideoCodec name="*">
          <Limitations>
            <UpperBound name="video.width" value="1920" isRequired="true" />
            <UpperBound name="video.height" value="1080" isRequired="true" />
          </Limitations>
        </VideoCodec>
        <VideoCodec name="h264">
          <Limitations>
            <UpperBound name="video.bitDepth" value="8" />
            <UpperBound name="video.level" value="42" />
          </Limitations>
        </VideoCodec>
        <VideoAudioCodec name="aac,mp3,ac3">
          <Limitations>
            <UpperBound name="audio.channels" value="2" />
          </Limitations>
        </VideoAudioCodec>
      </CodecProfiles>
    </Client>

Here:

<VideoProfile protocol="http" container="mkv" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac,mp3,ac3" context="streaming" />

And here:

<VideoAudioCodec name="aac,mp3,ac3">

Remember to restart the server.

edited August 22

EDIT: got two stars, so now I could update the original example above. Moderators: please delete this comment.

skogsmaskin - you sir, are a genius. thank you so much. works.

• borchgrevinkborchgrevink Posts: 215Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Windows location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Profiles

@borchgrevink said:
    Windows location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Profiles

Tnx, I've updated my post with the platform respective locations.

Doesn't work on AC3 5.1.

@tb87 said:
    Doesn't work on AC3 5.1.

yeah just discovered that as well.

edited August 25

I don't think it's Plex related, really. My chromecast stops responding to all HDMI-control (RIHD) events on some movies, i.e. normally I can still press Play or Pause on my home theater remote and this way control my chromecast (provided RIHD is enabled), but when I play those problematic files not only I can't control the volume through the Plex android app, but also I can't control the CC via RIHD as well.

My best guess would be for instance to always transcode every audio stream to a format known to be working, but I guess I'm just too lazy (and tired of wasting time on CC/plex bugs) to try that.

edited August 25

@tb87 said:
    Doesn't work on AC3 5.1.

Oh, I'll check when I get home from work. Please be aware that there was a new Plex Server released yesterday. It will override you edits in Chromecast.xml when you upgrade (there is also an option in Plex to auto update).

The thing is that Chromecast will bypass everything to the receiver when there is 5.1 audio so that you can control audio for each channel individually with the receiver. I guess this started to happen in some recent version of the Chromecast firmware. So you are right that this problem is not specifically Plex related. However I have a 2.0 setup, so I don't want it bypassed. I want everything downmixed to 2.0. Thus adding ac3 in the Chromecast.xml as above tells Plex the downmix audio for ac3 ( <UpperBound name="audio.channels" value="2" />) to two channel stereo as well. And thus the Plex App volume control works.

• schreineradamschreineradam Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Still having issues here with AC3 5.1...