If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Volume Control via Android Device when casting to Chromecast

Comments

• codymhortoncodymhorton Posts: 30Members ✭✭

I'm having the same issues also. Works with AAC works with normal AC3. In my testing if I transcode a movie with ac3 5.1 it works but direct play does not work.

• tb87tb87 Posts: 44Members ✭✭
    edited September 2017

@codymhorton said:
    I'm having the same issues also. Works with AAC works with normal AC3. In my testing if I transcode a movie with ac3 5.1 it works but direct play does not work.

Yeah that's what I understand from the situation, but how do you force transcoding on all audio formats? I don't mind transcoding temporarily all audio tracks if this fixes the problem until Plex's devs find a solution.

Phrased differently : how do you turn off direct play completely?

• codymhortoncodymhorton Posts: 30Members ✭✭

@tb87 I believe you would have to do this on the client side. I believe there is an option on my android phone. For now I am going to start converting all my media to mp4 AAC.

• schreineradamschreineradam Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@tb87 said:

@codymhorton said:

Yeah that's what I understand from the situation, but how do you force transcoding on all audio formats? I don't mind transcoding temporarily all audio tracks if this fixes the problem until Plex's devs find a solution.

Phrased differently : how do you turn off direct play completely?

This is really the question.

I agree; I can accept having to transcode all (or at least AC3 5.1) until a better long term solution is found... but how?

edited September 2017

Well I tried playing a bit with the settings in the Android app but it didn't really fix anything.

On the other side, I thought the line we modified/added in the XML profile was supposed to do precisely that, i.e. force plex to transcode everything?

Maybe someone that's more knowledgeable about the XML profile could answer this one? Else I'll try playing a bit with the app again next time and get back to the thread if something seems to work.

• osztrovszkyosztrovszky Posts: 4Members

@MovieFan.Plex
    @IanDBird
    someone please answer

• CupricRekiCupricReki Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This post is a year old and Plex hasn't taken the time to at least add ac3 to the xml profile? Embarrassing. Pretty unacceptable that chromecast support has been fundamentally broken this long.

This is actually one of the few reasons I am not considering buying a Plex Pass anytime soon : support seems pretty much scarce when users are facing problems.

• vanillajuicevanillajuice Posts: 1Members

Over a year now and still the same issue. I have no problems with any other app. If I didn't pay for this app I wouldn't give a **** but I do. This needs fixed.

• royduinroyduin Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
  • skogsmaskinskogsmaskin Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is already suggested earlier in this thread.

What we are looking for is a way to always transcode our audio. Because if it is ac3 dual-channel originally, it will send the audio passthrough to the receiver (and accordingly the application volume control will no longer work).

****, seriously. This is a simple IF line of code to modify for the devs in there. Can't believe no one paid attention to this thread which is impacting so much people, and for whose the fix would be so simple to implement. Incredible this has been going on for a full year.

Agreed. I am thinking about buying a Plex pass. But things like these holds me back. This is not the only thread about this issue either...

edited December 2017

OK! I have found a workaround now! Add this to the end of the XML inside <client>:

<TranscodeTargetProfiles>
        <VideoTranscodeTarget protocol="http" context="streaming">
          <VideoAudioCodec name="ac3">
            <Limitations>
              <Match name="audio.channels" value="2" />
              <LowerBound name="audio.bitrate" value="320" />
            </Limitations>
          </VideoAudioCodec>
        </VideoTranscodeTarget>
      </TranscodeTargetProfiles>

As most media in ac3 stereo will have a bitrate of 196 or 256, setting the LowerBound on bitrate to 320 will force it to transcode, and thus the software volume control will work.

5.1. sound will already be transcoded because of the channel limiting rule.

The whole xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Client name="Chromecast">
      <!-- Author: Plex Inc. -->
      <TranscodeTargets>
        <VideoProfile protocol="http" container="mkv" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac,mp3,ac3" context="streaming" />
        <MusicProfile container="mkv" codec="opus" />
        <PhotoProfile container="jpeg" />
        <SubtitleProfile container="ass" codec="ass" />
      </TranscodeTargets>
      <CodecProfiles>
        <VideoCodec name="*">
          <Limitations>
            <UpperBound name="video.width" value="1920" isRequired="true" />
            <UpperBound name="video.height" value="1080" isRequired="true" />
          </Limitations>
        </VideoCodec>
        <VideoCodec name="h264">
          <Limitations>
            <UpperBound name="video.bitDepth" value="8" />
            <UpperBound name="video.level" value="42" />
          </Limitations>
        </VideoCodec>
        <VideoAudioCodec name="*">
          <Limitations>
            <UpperBound name="audio.channels" value="2" />
          </Limitations>
        </VideoAudioCodec>
      </CodecProfiles>
      <TranscodeTargetProfiles>
        <VideoTranscodeTarget protocol="http" context="streaming">
            <Limitations>
            </Limitations>
          </VideoAudioCodec>
        </VideoTranscodeTarget>
      </TranscodeTargetProfiles>
    </Client>

Do you think we can set it higher than 320, just in case?

edited December 2017

Yes, one could (I ran it fine with 512). Not sure if that will be stressful for the transcoder and bandwidth for some people tough. I was also thinking about making a chain that checks if it is 320, then set the upperLimit to 256, but not quite sure how that chain syntax would be, but this seemed to work out for everything I tested with.

Alright, I'll first try running it with 320 then push it higher if it doesn't work with all media.

Thanks for sharing. I don't use plex a lot those days but I'll report back if it works on my setup.

edited December 2017

I think a chain as I talked about above could be expressed something like this, but I haven't tested it (!!!)

<Limitations>
              <Match name="audio.bitrate" value="320" />
              <LowerBound name="audio.bitrate" value="512" />
            </Limitations>
          </VideoAudioCodec>
            <Limitations>
              <NotMatch name="audio.bitrate" value="320" />
            </Limitations>
          </VideoAudioCodec>

Didn't work for me.

MediaInfo gives me this for the stream of my non-working media :

Stream 1 Type: audio Codec: dca Codec profile: DTS Bit rate: 768 kb/s Sample rate: 48000 Hz Sample format: s16 Channel: 6 Default: YES Meta info: BPS: 767999 NUMBER_OF_BYTES-eng: 614236160 _STATISTICS_TAGS-eng: BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES _STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC-eng: 2017-12-08 10:14:21 _STATISTICS_WRITING_APP-eng: mkvmerge v13.0.0 ('The Juggler') 64bit BPS-eng: 767999 DURATION: 01:46:38.294000000 NUMBER_OF_FRAMES: 599840 NUMBER_OF_FRAMES-eng: 599840 _STATISTICS_WRITING_APP: mkvmerge v13.0.0 ('The Juggler') 64bit _STATISTICS_TAGS: BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES DURATION-eng: 01:46:38.294000000 _STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC: 2017-12-08 10:14:21 NUMBER_OF_BYTES: 614236160

One thing I observed that was new is that a couple times on my TV a message appeared saying "audio is routed to your home theater please use its remote to control volume" or something like that. I guess that was the Chromecast (maybe a recent update? didn't watch any movie in the past weeks) and not plex's app. But I could be wrong. Anyway, doesn't change the fact that the fix doesn't seem to work unfortunately.

Anyone else tried? Maybe I did something wrong?

edited December 2017

Damn I just noticed from my previous post : "Bit rate: 768 kb/s". Didn't even read the thing I was about to post since I'm not really good with codecs. If I increased the bitrate in the XML maybe it might work?