Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Installing RasPlex on Raspbian

waazdakkawaazdakka Members Posts: 14 ✭✭

Hi community !
I just tested RasPlex on a RPi 2B, which works fine ! However, I was looking for a way to install the Plex Home Theater without blowing up my whole Raspbian installation.
I was wondering if Debian version would be ok, but considering the amazing work done on RasPlex, is it possible to install it on the same system ?

Thanks for your answers !

Answers

• nilsvnilsv Members, Plex Pass Posts: 106 Plex Pass
    edited October 2016

Use a different SD card and swap as/when needed.

Or have a look at OpenPHT.

Rasplex is by design a complete OS, and as such a replacement of Raspbian.

• videotecaCNSUvideotecaCNSU Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 211 Plex Pass

You could dual boot it with BerryBoot or MultiBootPi

http://www.berryterminal.com/doku.php/berryboot
    http://www.multibootpi.com/

That way you can keep RasPlex, Raspbian and RetroPie on the same SD. It´s something I´m going to try but I don´t have any experience with it right now

• benjaminwolfbenjaminwolf Members, Plex Pass Posts: 978 Plex Pass

It would be difficult to accomplish. Rasplex (the raspberry pi version of OpenPHT) is an embedded image using squashfs, which makes much of it readonly. You'd be looking at compiling your own version of OpenPHT to try and run it ontop a normal Rasbian installation.

You're better off attempting dual booting or swapping cards. There are some dual boot threads here that can help, but last I heard there were issues with n00bs and OpenPHT.

• waazdakkawaazdakka Members Posts: 14 ✭✭

Hi guys !
    Thanks for your fast answers ! I just tried to install Open PHT on the last Raspbian. In fact, the first issue is that OpenPHT needs cmake 3.1.0 aaaaaand... Rapsbian is only on 3.0.2, even on stretch repository...

So I'm stuck here I guess !!

Also, dual boot will not help me : if you want to run PHT, you will need the server running on it at the same time (But having the Plex Server AND the PHT on the same RPi 3 is probably a non-sens I guess ?)

Thanks again :D

• benjaminwolfbenjaminwolf Members, Plex Pass Posts: 978 Plex Pass

If you can get them both working on the Pi at the same time, more power to you. But I would I think you'd be pushing the limits of the hw resources running both.

• videotecaCNSUvideotecaCNSU Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 211 Plex Pass

@waazdakka whats exactly what you are trying to do with the Rpi?

• eprafullaeprafulla Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

@benjaminwolf said:
    If you can get them both working on the Pi at the same time, more power to you. But I would I think you'd be pushing the limits of the hw resources running both.

Well got there for my headless audio only RPi3 with PMS + Kodi with PlexKodiKonnect plugin. It's a standalone complete system with HiFiBerry DAC Pro. Controlled by Plex Companion app 'the rig' can be taken to places with onboard WiFi hotspot. Media can come from anywhere as long as you can mount it :)