If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Philips 49PUS6401 AC3 causes video to lock up

BobblerBobbler Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just moved over to an Android smart TV today and the Plex experience isn't going well.
Every video which contains AC3 based audio refuses to play properly. The first frame of video plays but immediately freezes, Audio continues for about 30 seconds then a message saying my network is not fast enough.
The network isnt the issue as other videos of much higher bitrates playback fine if they have AAC or other audio.
Changing local or remote quality, direct play etc doesnt make any odds it still stops. Same videos playback fine using Xbox One based Plex too.
Any advice appreciated

«13

Answers

  • sixonessixones Posts: 119Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    We are investigating issues with playback on Phillips 4K TV's. Would you be able to provide us with some logs from playing a video successfully and playing one that freezes? If you could also provide the XML information for the media that works and that doesn't, that would be great!

    See the support page for fetching logs from an Android TV device; https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201573117-Android-and-GoogleTV-Logs, and for information about fetching XML information for your media; https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201998867-Investigate-Media-Information-and-Formats

  • ArkymedesArkymedes Posts: 35Members ✭✭

    Hello there,

    I have the 55PUS6401 (same series as OP) and I have the exact same problem.

    Using the Plex App from Google Store and any video with AC3 audio causes the "slow connection" problem.

    However, setting "Passthrough" to auto, the video plays but it transcodes the audio to AAC Stereo. Disabling Passthrough, the video plays for a couple of seconds and then it crashes with the "slow connection" message.

    Playing the same videos browsing the DLNA server works with no problems.

    Mind you that this problem only occurs when trying to cast to the built-in Chromecast from the Android TV or from the Plex App also from the Android TV. Plugging a standalone Chromecast don't cause those issues.

    Any suggestions?

  • ArkymedesArkymedes Posts: 35Members ✭✭

    Just following up this thread:

    Downloading the SPMC app from Google Play (Kodi fork) + Plex addon and setting passthrough mode to RAW solves the problem.

    Can this be incorporated into the Plex app itself?

  • xvalxval Posts: 2Members

    Same is here with fullhd Phillips 55PFK5500/12 but what is funny it works for me for couple months but then stopped playing ac3 without any reason

  • MatthewCroughanMatthewCroughan Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 11

    Identical issue with 43PUS6401, so a smaller version of OP's tv, same firmware. This is likely an issue with surround sound formats and the tv's actual ability to play it back. Manufacturers seem to be lying about codec support to Exoplayer, or not respecting it in some way. After searching through multiple threads relating to this issue, including Nvidia Shield and other brands of TV's this is my conclusion. I find that I simply can not play any surround sound format unless it is lucky enough to be transcoded to a non-surround sound format. Funnily, it will manage to push packets through at a transcode of 10mbps from a high bitrate X264 file, then a little better at 8mbps, then a little better at 6mpbs, but stable at 4mbps. Though this varies entirely based on the content. Though this happens only with surround sound content. Video codec is not the problem, as far as I can tell, it's purely related to surround sound 5.1 audio codecs.

  • ArkymedesArkymedes Posts: 35Members ✭✭

    @MatthewCroughan said:
    Identical issue with 43PUS6401, so a smaller version of OP's tv, same firmware. This is likely an issue with surround sound formats and the tv's actual ability to play it back. Manufacturers seem to be lying about codec support to Exoplayer, or not respecting it in some way. After searching through multiple threads relating to this issue, including Nvidia Shield and other brands of TV's this is my conclusion. I find that I simply can not play any surround sound format unless it is lucky enough to be transcoded to a non-surround sound format. Funnily, it will manage to push packets through at a transcode of 10mbps from a high bitrate X264 file, then a little better at 8mbps, then a little better at 6mpbs, but stable at 4mbps. Though this varies entirely based on the content. Though this happens only with surround sound content. Video codec is not the problem, as far as I can tell, it's purely related to surround sound 5.1 audio codecs.

    Hey there, I'm not sure if that is true at all. The TV, at least from my tests is more than capable to playback those codecs. They are actually listed in the hardware specifications. Also a quick way to check that is to plug a HDMI cable to a laptop running Windows and check the Sound properties. It will detect the TV and the codecs supported, reported by the TV.

    Also, using the "Network Browser", "Media Browser"? or whatever is called, where you can browse your network via DLNA, works with no issues, the same as browsing locally via USB, so it's not a TV limitation.

  • andokaiandokai Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Same issue. Happy to share any logs. I've the 49PUS6401.

  • MatthewCroughanMatthewCroughan Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @Arkymedes said:

    @MatthewCroughan said:
    Identical issue with 43PUS6401, so a smaller version of OP's tv, same firmware. This is likely an issue with surround sound formats and the tv's actual ability to play it back. Manufacturers seem to be lying about codec support to Exoplayer, or not respecting it in some way. After searching through multiple threads relating to this issue, including Nvidia Shield and other brands of TV's this is my conclusion. I find that I simply can not play any surround sound format unless it is lucky enough to be transcoded to a non-surround sound format. Funnily, it will manage to push packets through at a transcode of 10mbps from a high bitrate X264 file, then a little better at 8mbps, then a little better at 6mpbs, but stable at 4mbps. Though this varies entirely based on the content. Though this happens only with surround sound content. Video codec is not the problem, as far as I can tell, it's purely related to surround sound 5.1 audio codecs.

    Hey there, I'm not sure if that is true at all. The TV, at least from my tests is more than capable to playback those codecs. They are actually listed in the hardware specifications. Also a quick way to check that is to plug a HDMI cable to a laptop running Windows and check the Sound properties. It will detect the TV and the codecs supported, reported by the TV.

    Also, using the "Network Browser", "Media Browser"? or whatever is called, where you can browse your network via DLNA, works with no issues, the same as browsing locally via USB, so it's not a TV limitation.

    Indeed, it is capable on a hardware level, I understand this. What device isn't these days? However, the manufacturer is not so well known for making handsets, or for manipulating android as an OEM. This causes problems. People in other threads have hypothesised that this is to do with the TV disrespecting Exoplayer.. Not that the tv doesn't support the codec, I did not say this.





    Not to mention personally I have modified my Android.xml to transcode AC3 whenever possible, and it resolves issues in some cases, though sometimes it will still deliver 5.1 aac... which craps the bed still. It is 5.1 audio, across all devices, I am very confident

  • borchgrevinkborchgrevink Posts: 215Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
  • ArkymedesArkymedes Posts: 35Members ✭✭

    I copied over and slightly modified my post from the other thread here:

    I'm puzzled about why the "passthrough" setting in the Plex app itself does not work as intended, but it does on Kodi/SPMC ? And doesn't Kodi also passes through the audio to the TV itself? My receiver is connected to the TV via Toslink anyway. With Kodi it works, with Plex, it does not.

    Why the Plex app does not simply pass through the audio to the TV as the other apps? Nothing is being decoded by the TV anyway as far as I know.

    The thing is that for some seconds, it DOES work. If I play a video with AC3 multi channel, the receiver plays it for a few seconds and then everything freezes. I made a lame video to illustrate the issue here:

    Please don't mind the background noise, the washing machine was on lol!

    When the video is playing, the blue light shows up on my receiver, showing that a multi channel source is being played and the codec (Dolby Digital) is being used. After a few seconds, everything stops and I get the dreaded "Your connection is too slow" or something like that.

    Why is that? And why this does not happen when playing the video from a local source (USB plugged to the TV), browsing my network using the built in Media Browser, or from the Kodi app (with passthrough on)?

  • andokaiandokai Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I assume there's been no progress on this since I'm seeing lots of Android TV issues being reported. If it helps I enabled network logging last night at 05-18 22:57:51.782 BST and reproduced the issue several times. My setup is a Philips 49PUS6401 connected via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-NR646.

  • razvan.tudosarazvan.tudosa Posts: 1Members

    Just changed my smart TV to a Philips cause I hated the OS from the Samsung. I also stumbled upon the same issue. Black screen sound goes on. I found a trick to make it work, though: I press pause and go to the settings ( the wheel located below your media buttons right next to subtitles icon ) and select another option than original (I select the highest available). Now the video just works fine. Obviously I have to do this every time I want to watch a video so it's not that nice.

    Anyone found anything else to solve this issue?

  • andokaiandokai Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    That doesn't solve the problem but rather avoids it by transcoding.

  • ArkymedesArkymedes Posts: 35Members ✭✭

    @razvan.tudosa said:
    Just changed my smart TV to a Philips cause I hated the OS from the Samsung. I also stumbled upon the same issue. Black screen sound goes on. I found a trick to make it work, though: I press pause and go to the settings ( the wheel located below your media buttons right next to subtitles icon ) and select another option than original (I select the highest available). Now the video just works fine. Obviously I have to do this every time I want to watch a video so it's not that nice.

    Anyone found anything else to solve this issue?

    As andokai mentioned, this does not solve the problem. You are transcoding the video to a lower quality and the audio to probably AAC stereo. The problem is that Plex for android does not pass through the audio correctly, so receivers on the other end cannot play a multi channel source.

  • borchgrevinkborchgrevink Posts: 215Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Any suggestions @MovieFan.Plex

  • AquaWideAquaWide Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 6

    [Original]
    Bonjour,
    Même problème sur 49PUS6401. Les vidéos 4k par Plex commencent et se figent alors que le son continu, et message de bande passante insuffisante.
    En utilisant la navigation intégrée de la tv ça fonctionne très bien.
    Merci

    [Google Translate]
    Hello,
    Same problem with 49PUS6401. The 4k videos by Plex start and freeze while the continuous sound, and insufficient bandwidth message.
    Using the integrated navigation of the tv works very well.
    Thank you

    Edit :
    Ok with SPMC (Kodi fork) from Google Play + Plex addon + setting (Raw & h265)

  • slyder49slyder49 Posts: 1Members

    Hello,

    I have a same issue on 49PUS6401 received today : some videos with sound but black screnn , or a 4k file with the message about the lower connection ......
    I've tried to change android.xml on the server, it's same
    I was intereted by aquawide's solution but i get a message plex add on its only fur plex pass subscribers.....

    Please do you have a solution so solve these problems, i've bought this tv to play media with plaex, i'm so desapointed

    NB : Sorry or my english, i'm french....

  • borchgrevinkborchgrevink Posts: 215Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 11

    Nothing new?

    The global convert automatically should solve this, but it doesn't work globally. Have to enable it every time.

  • wostgwostg Posts: 3Members

    Hi, just wanted to pipe in with the same issue, 49PUS6401 and no luck with changing the xml files or anything else recommended so far. Any new things to try?

  • ArkymedesArkymedes Posts: 35Members ✭✭
    edited August 30

    I just noticed that with the latest Philips firmware + Plex client + Plex server, the sound works fine, with passthrough working as it should, so the claim that the TV does not handle properly the sound should be put aside.

    However, the image freezes on the first frame and the sound keeps going. My home theater properly shows that multi channel sound is being sent to it via toslink.

    Again, the Plex app for SPMC works perfectly as always.

    It's very very frustrating for us to have this issue for so long. I even cancelled my Pass subscription since I feel that Plex development is going into another direction, with "features" being added constantly completely unrelated to the fixing the basics first.

    PS: On a side note, an interesting solution would be for the Plex App to allow the user to use another player (e.g. MX Media Player, VLC, etc) if installed since the reliance on the default Exoplayer from Android it's seemingly causing several issues.

«13
Sign In or Register to comment.