We will be performing plex.tv database server maintenance starting 22:00 Pacific Time on Wednesday, June 28 (05:00 GMT, June 29). It is expected to last ~1.5 hours. See http://status.plex.tv/incidents/c1t6djj5vq9r
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Philips 49PUS6401 AC3 causes video to lock up

BobblerBobbler Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

Just moved over to an Android smart TV today and the Plex experience isn't going well.
Every video which contains AC3 based audio refuses to play properly. The first frame of video plays but immediately freezes, Audio continues for about 30 seconds then a message saying my network is not fast enough.
The network isnt the issue as other videos of much higher bitrates playback fine if they have AAC or other audio.
Changing local or remote quality, direct play etc doesnt make any odds it still stops. Same videos playback fine using Xbox One based Plex too.
Any advice appreciated

Answers

• sixonessixones Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 80 Plex Employee

We are investigating issues with playback on Phillips 4K TV's. Would you be able to provide us with some logs from playing a video successfully and playing one that freezes? If you could also provide the XML information for the media that works and that doesn't, that would be great!

See the support page for fetching logs from an Android TV device; https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201573117-Android-and-GoogleTV-Logs, and for information about fetching XML information for your media; https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201998867-Investigate-Media-Information-and-Formats

• ArkymedesArkymedes Members, Plex Pass Posts: 23 Plex Pass

Hello there,

I have the 55PUS6401 (same series as OP) and I have the exact same problem.

Using the Plex App from Google Store and any video with AC3 audio causes the "slow connection" problem.

However, setting "Passthrough" to auto, the video plays but it transcodes the audio to AAC Stereo. Disabling Passthrough, the video plays for a couple of seconds and then it crashes with the "slow connection" message.

Playing the same videos browsing the DLNA server works with no problems.

Mind you that this problem only occurs when trying to cast to the built-in Chromecast from the Android TV or from the Plex App also from the Android TV. Plugging a standalone Chromecast don't cause those issues.

Any suggestions?

Just following up this thread:

Downloading the SPMC app from Google Play (Kodi fork) + Plex addon and setting passthrough mode to RAW solves the problem.

Can this be incorporated into the Plex app itself?

• xvalxval Members Posts: 2

Same is here with fullhd Phillips 55PFK5500/12 but what is funny it works for me for couple months but then stopped playing ac3 without any reason

• MatthewCroughanMatthewCroughan Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 13 Plex Pass
    edited April 11

Identical issue with 43PUS6401, so a smaller version of OP's tv, same firmware. This is likely an issue with surround sound formats and the tv's actual ability to play it back. Manufacturers seem to be lying about codec support to Exoplayer, or not respecting it in some way. After searching through multiple threads relating to this issue, including Nvidia Shield and other brands of TV's this is my conclusion. I find that I simply can not play any surround sound format unless it is lucky enough to be transcoded to a non-surround sound format. Funnily, it will manage to push packets through at a transcode of 10mbps from a high bitrate X264 file, then a little better at 8mbps, then a little better at 6mpbs, but stable at 4mbps. Though this varies entirely based on the content. Though this happens only with surround sound content. Video codec is not the problem, as far as I can tell, it's purely related to surround sound 5.1 audio codecs.

@MatthewCroughan said:
    Identical issue with 43PUS6401, so a smaller version of OP's tv, same firmware. This is likely an issue with surround sound formats and the tv's actual ability to play it back. Manufacturers seem to be lying about codec support to Exoplayer, or not respecting it in some way. After searching through multiple threads relating to this issue, including Nvidia Shield and other brands of TV's this is my conclusion. I find that I simply can not play any surround sound format unless it is lucky enough to be transcoded to a non-surround sound format. Funnily, it will manage to push packets through at a transcode of 10mbps from a high bitrate X264 file, then a little better at 8mbps, then a little better at 6mpbs, but stable at 4mbps. Though this varies entirely based on the content. Though this happens only with surround sound content. Video codec is not the problem, as far as I can tell, it's purely related to surround sound 5.1 audio codecs.

Hey there, I'm not sure if that is true at all. The TV, at least from my tests is more than capable to playback those codecs. They are actually listed in the hardware specifications. Also a quick way to check that is to plug a HDMI cable to a laptop running Windows and check the Sound properties. It will detect the TV and the codecs supported, reported by the TV.

Also, using the "Network Browser", "Media Browser"? or whatever is called, where you can browse your network via DLNA, works with no issues, the same as browsing locally via USB, so it's not a TV limitation.

• andokaiandokai Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

Same issue. Happy to share any logs. I've the 49PUS6401.

• MatthewCroughanMatthewCroughan Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 13 Plex Pass

@Arkymedes said:

@MatthewCroughan said:

Hey there, I'm not sure if that is true at all. The TV, at least from my tests is more than capable to playback those codecs. They are actually listed in the hardware specifications. Also a quick way to check that is to plug a HDMI cable to a laptop running Windows and check the Sound properties. It will detect the TV and the codecs supported, reported by the TV.

Also, using the "Network Browser", "Media Browser"? or whatever is called, where you can browse your network via DLNA, works with no issues, the same as browsing locally via USB, so it's not a TV limitation.

Indeed, it is capable on a hardware level, I understand this. What device isn't these days? However, the manufacturer is not so well known for making handsets, or for manipulating android as an OEM. This causes problems. People in other threads have hypothesised that this is to do with the TV disrespecting Exoplayer.. Not that the tv doesn't support the codec, I did not say this.

Not to mention personally I have modified my Android.xml to transcode AC3 whenever possible, and it resolves issues in some cases, though sometimes it will still deliver 5.1 aac... which craps the bed still. It is 5.1 audio, across all devices, I am very confident

• borchgrevinkborchgrevink Members, Plex Pass Posts: 197 Plex Pass

I copied over and slightly modified my post from the other thread here:

I'm puzzled about why the "passthrough" setting in the Plex app itself does not work as intended, but it does on Kodi/SPMC ? And doesn't Kodi also passes through the audio to the TV itself? My receiver is connected to the TV via Toslink anyway. With Kodi it works, with Plex, it does not.

Why the Plex app does not simply pass through the audio to the TV as the other apps? Nothing is being decoded by the TV anyway as far as I know.

The thing is that for some seconds, it DOES work. If I play a video with AC3 multi channel, the receiver plays it for a few seconds and then everything freezes. I made a lame video to illustrate the issue here:

Please don't mind the background noise, the washing machine was on lol!

When the video is playing, the blue light shows up on my receiver, showing that a multi channel source is being played and the codec (Dolby Digital) is being used. After a few seconds, everything stops and I get the dreaded "Your connection is too slow" or something like that.

Why is that? And why this does not happen when playing the video from a local source (USB plugged to the TV), browsing my network using the built in Media Browser, or from the Kodi app (with passthrough on)?

I assume there's been no progress on this since I'm seeing lots of Android TV issues being reported. If it helps I enabled network logging last night at 05-18 22:57:51.782 BST and reproduced the issue several times. My setup is a Philips 49PUS6401 connected via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-NR646.

• razvan.tudosarazvan.tudosa Members Posts: 1

Just changed my smart TV to a Philips cause I hated the OS from the Samsung. I also stumbled upon the same issue. Black screen sound goes on. I found a trick to make it work, though: I press pause and go to the settings ( the wheel located below your media buttons right next to subtitles icon ) and select another option than original (I select the highest available). Now the video just works fine. Obviously I have to do this every time I want to watch a video so it's not that nice.

Anyone found anything else to solve this issue?

That doesn't solve the problem but rather avoids it by transcoding.

@razvan.tudosa said:
    Just changed my smart TV to a Philips cause I hated the OS from the Samsung. I also stumbled upon the same issue. Black screen sound goes on. I found a trick to make it work, though: I press pause and go to the settings ( the wheel located below your media buttons right next to subtitles icon ) and select another option than original (I select the highest available). Now the video just works fine. Obviously I have to do this every time I want to watch a video so it's not that nice.

Anyone found anything else to solve this issue?

As andokai mentioned, this does not solve the problem. You are transcoding the video to a lower quality and the audio to probably AAC stereo. The problem is that Plex for android does not pass through the audio correctly, so receivers on the other end cannot play a multi channel source.

• borchgrevinkborchgrevink Members, Plex Pass Posts: 197 Plex Pass

Any suggestions @MovieFan.Plex

• AquaWideAquaWide Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass
    edited June 6

[Original]
    Bonjour,
    Même problème sur 49PUS6401. Les vidéos 4k par Plex commencent et se figent alors que le son continu, et message de bande passante insuffisante.
    En utilisant la navigation intégrée de la tv ça fonctionne très bien.
    Merci

[Google Translate]
    Hello,
    Same problem with 49PUS6401. The 4k videos by Plex start and freeze while the continuous sound, and insufficient bandwidth message.
    Using the integrated navigation of the tv works very well.
    Thank you

Edit :
    Ok with SPMC (Kodi fork) from Google Play + Plex addon + setting (Raw & h265)