If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Does PMP support HDR video playback?

PottypotsworthPottypotsworth Posts: 144Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi all,

Simple question, but i haven't been able to find a definitive answer, does PMP support HDR on videos? I am trying to play a test video through Plex with a GTX1080 card but the TV isn't switching into HDR mode. I can play the same video on USB directly on the TV and it works fine.

GTX1080 is confirmed to have HDMI 2.0b so it shouldn't be a hardware issue.

Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• PottypotsworthPottypotsworth Posts: 144Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sorry to bump, but surely I can't be the first person to try getting HDR through Plex, @vlang do you have any thoughts?

Thanks for the reply, atrus. I am actually running Windows 10 and there was talk about the anniversary addition bringing HDR output, but also as per what you said I have read conflicting reports that it won't actually be available until next year. I'd be happy to test out anything if it is possible and someone told me where to look/what to do.

Many thanks again.

• atrusatrus Posts: 11,100Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@pottypotsworth said:
    Thanks for the reply, atrus. I am actually running Windows 10 and there was talk about the anniversary addition bringing HDR output, but also as per what you said I have read conflicting reports that it won't actually be available until next year. I'd be happy to test out anything if it is possible and someone told me where to look/what to do.

Many thanks again.

When Windows support this, try setting it to put HDR globally and then try in PMP. Would be a really good data point to have that. If anything surfaces in regards of Plex HDR before that I will of course try to remember to fetch you :)

 Mac mini 2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (With Fusion drive) (PM score: 7347)  Panasonic VT50 (55 inch)  Pioneer VSX-2021 Receiver  Norco 24-bay NAS (CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v2 3,4GHz, PM score: 9300) 
    New to Plex/Nine? Watch my screencast video (slightly out-dated nowadays, but still informative for new users)
    Want to know how to handle subtitles? Watch my subtitle screencast video (out-dated, but still informative), and this One Minute Subtitle Addendum screencast
    Always attach log files if you are reporting an issue: Log file info & location
    Get Plex guides here: Howto name your files NAS guide Troubleshooting Plex Support Page

@atrus said:

@pottypotsworth said:

Many thanks again.

When Windows support this, try setting it to put HDR globally and then try in PMP. Would be a really good data point to have that. If anything surfaces in regards of Plex HDR before that I will of course try to remember to fetch you :)

You got yourself a deal, Sir. Sounds good, cheers.

• GhostmGhostm Posts: 243Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2016

Whatever the case I would also hope to see some support for it, 4k hevc is nicely bleeding edge support already, hopefully hdr will work sometime soon either with a windows update or if the dev's look into adding it to pmp.

edited November 2016

The hdr stuff i tried has had heavy stutter on an rx460 amd with hevc decoding and hdr support.

• ced0072ced0072 Posts: 61Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi, I'm new to plex media player and I did some test with HEVC HDR files.
    I'm on Windows 7, with a recently acquired GTX1060, HDMI 2.0a cable and LG 4K HDR TV.
    Files play just fine but without HDR handled...

Windows 10 64bits
    Core i7 4770K, 16G RAM, Asus GTX1060
    PMS and PMP
    LG OLED 65C6V
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Focal Dome 5.1 Speakers

@ced0072 said:
    I'm on Windows 7, with a recently acquired GTX1060, HDMI 2.0a cable and LG 4K HDR TV.

Just curious if you have a place where you can download and try hdr files, the few i tried have some stutter so i would be curious which files you tested if publicly available.

@ced0072 said:

Yep, the files play fine but the HDR metadata isn't sent so it's pointless really.

@Ghostm said:

@ced0072 said:

Just curious if you have a place where you can download and try hdr files, the few i tried have some stutter so i would be curious which files you tested if publicly available.

http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hevc has some ok ones that work fine for me. I am using a GTX 1080 though.

edited November 2016

Yes I dowloaded a few demo videos from this site too. Playing them from the UBS3 port of the LG TV works fine, with HDR.
    But from my PC with PLEX, no HDR :(
    I tried a lot of different settings in the card (ycbcr444 8bit, ycbcr420 10bit, ycbcr422 10bit...) but it doesn't change anything. So I guess that it comes from PLEX that doesn't handle HDR.
    I hope they will be able to add this in the future.

By the way, doesn PLEX on the Nvidia Shield TV is handling correctly the HDR? I've heard that the Shield TV is HDR compatible.

Windows 10 64bits
    PMS and PMP
    LG OLED 65C6V
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Focal Dome 5.1 Speakers

@ced0072 said:
    Yes I dowloaded a few demo videos from this site too. Playing them from the UBS3 port of the LG TV works fine, with HDR.
    But from my PC with PLEX, no HDR :(
    I tried a lot of different settings in the card (ycbcr444 8bit, ycbcr420 10bit, ycbcr422 10bit...) but it doesn't change anything. So I guess that it comes from PLEX that doesn't handle HDR.
    I hope they will be able to add this in the future.

By the way, doesn PLEX on the Nvidia Shield TV is handling correctly the HDR? I've heard that the Shield TV is HDR compatible.

Haha, it looks like we have tried all the exact same things.

I actually thought I could "cheat" by installing Plex app on my LG (I have a 65E6), but even with it playing on the LG it still doesn't kick into HDR mode. So there is just zero support for it. As atrus said, i think we may have to wait for Windows to include global HDR support before the Plex team look at handling HDR in any of their apps.

• vlangvlang Posts: 1,648Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

There are two things to HDR.

First, PMP can properly interpret the HDR metadata and "downsample" (tone mapping) it to normal range, i.e. normal output, or output to devices not capable of handling HDR themselves. I think this is enabled by default, but in theory the user needs to adjust it according to display brightness and viewing conditions. These can be configued in mpv.conf with these options: https://mpv.io/manual/master/#options-target-brightness

The second thing is sending the HDR-tagged data directly to a TV. This requires extensions on a lot of layers: the operating system, HDMI protocol, Qt, and more. I don't expect this can be done quickly (or easily). Windows 10 provides an API for this in theory, but from what I hear it doesn't even work properly yet.

In theory you could achieve this by disabling HDR handling in mpv.conf (or actually, configuring it such that PMP outputs HDR data without "downsampling" it), and then configuring the OS or TV manually to interpret the data as HDR. The result should be that the desktop and the PMP UI are awfully bright, but the video looks correct.

Further caveat: some HDR samples are actually mastered incorrectly.

Not at Plex anymore. I'm not a Ninja either.

edited November 2016

Thank you vlang for your comment.
    Just to be sure to understand as it's a little bit technical and I'm just discovering PLEX for a few weeks now.
    I understand that we can try two things:
    1. To play with the "target-brightness" value of the mpv.conf file to adjust it to a higher value, corresponding to our TV value. Then, in case of a HDR content, the player we adjust the video to this value, using the algorithm specify in the "hdr-tone-mapping" value. Is it correct?
    Does it mean that the "target-brightness" value is used for HDR content only?
    2. We can disable the HDR handling and then manually put our TV in HDR mode.
    How do we disable "HDR handling in mpv.conf?

Thanks.

Windows 10 64bits
    PMS and PMP
    LG OLED 65C6V
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Focal Dome 5.1 Speakers

• vlangvlang Posts: 1,648Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    1. To play with the "target-brightness" value of the mpv.conf file to adjust it to a higher value, corresponding to our TV value. Then, in case of a HDR content, the player we adjust the video to this value, using the algorithm specify in the "hdr-tone-mapping" value. Is it correct?

Correct.

Does it mean that the "target-brightness" value is used for HDR content only?

Correct.

1. We can disable the HDR handling and then manually put our TV in HDR mode.

I'm not quite sure. You have to tune the options to whatever your TV is set to. I think one user tried it successfully, but I can't try myself as I have no HDR display.

Not at Plex anymore. I'm not a Ninja either.

I just found out that using the LG Plex app you can actually get HDR files working if they are in a specific format.

This HDR sample file - http://hdrsamples.com/life-of-pi-4k-uhd-hdr-sample-footage/ - won't play HDR through PMP on the computer (obviously as we have discussed above) but does kick the TV into HDR mode when "served" from PMS to the LG Plex web app.

Other HDR files that work on USB connected to the TV will not kick the TV into HDR mode when ran through the LG Plex App, so it seems that the files need to be in Plex "supported" 4K...

Container: MP4
    Resolution: 3840x2160 or smaller
    Video Encoding: HEVC (H.265)
    Video Frame Rate: 30fps
    Video Bit Depth: 8

Tested with LG 65OLEDE6

• atrusatrus Posts: 11,100Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@pottypotsworth said:
    I just found out that using the LG Plex app you can actually get HDR files working if they are in a specific format.

This HDR sample file - http://hdrsamples.com/life-of-pi-4k-uhd-hdr-sample-footage/ - won't play HDR through PMP on the computer (obviously as we have discussed above) but does kick the TV into HDR mode when "served" from PMS to the LG Plex web app.

Other HDR files that work on USB connected to the TV will not kick the TV into HDR mode when ran through the LG Plex App, so it seems that the files need to be in Plex "supported" 4K...

Container: MP4
    Resolution: 3840x2160 or smaller
    Video Encoding: HEVC (H.265)
    Video Frame Rate: 30fps
    Video Bit Depth: 8

Tested with LG 65OLEDE6

Check what media info says about the files that does not work. Compare with the working one and see if you can find a common theme.

 Mac mini 2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (With Fusion drive) (PM score: 7347)  Panasonic VT50 (55 inch)  Pioneer VSX-2021 Receiver  Norco 24-bay NAS (CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v2 3,4GHz, PM score: 9300) 
    New to Plex/Nine? Watch my screencast video (slightly out-dated nowadays, but still informative for new users)
    Want to know how to handle subtitles? Watch my subtitle screencast video (out-dated, but still informative), and this One Minute Subtitle Addendum screencast
    Always attach log files if you are reporting an issue: Log file info & location
    Get Plex guides here: Howto name your files NAS guide Troubleshooting Plex Support Page
    edited November 2016

I did a test by creating a mpv.conf file in my folder C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\PlexMediaPlayer
    (I didn't had one, so I created one)
    In this file I put the following 5 lines only, based on what I found here and there in various forums:

vo=opengl
    target-brightness=540
    target-prim=bt.709
    hdr-tone-mapping=simple
    tone-mapping-param=0.7

It's working. As expected, it didn't activate automatically the HDR mode of the TV, but it makes the HDR video more bright and contrasted. If I also activate the "HDR effect" (= false HDR) of the TV (special mode on recent LG OLDE TV), I obtain a result that is not so different than the same video played from the USB drive and who activate the "real" HDR mode of the TV. I say that by only comparing with my eyes, so it's not very precise :)
    What is great is that these settings don't seem to affect non-HDR content.

I put 540 as brightness as it seems to be an average I've found in website that tested my TV LG OLED C6V.

I need to do more test to see what can be improved, probably by playing with the brightness and the HDR tone mapping.

Of course ideally, if we could disabled the HDR handling of Plex to send it to the TV untouched and the TV handle the HDR it would be better, but it doesn't seem to be possible for now.

Windows 10 64bits
    PMS and PMP
    LG OLED 65C6V
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Focal Dome 5.1 Speakers

@ced0072 said:
    I did a test by creating a mpv.conf file in my folder C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\PlexMediaPlayer
    (I didn't had one, so I created one)
    In this file I put the following 5 lines only, based on what I found here and there in various forums:

vo=opengl
    target-brightness=540
    target-prim=bt.709
    hdr-tone-mapping=simple
    tone-mapping-param=0.7

It's working. As expected, it didn't activate automatically the HDR mode of the TV, but it makes the HDR video more bright and contrasted. If I also activate the "HDR effect" (= false HDR) of the TV (special mode on recent LG OLDE TV), I obtain a result that is not so different than the same video played from the USB drive and who activate the "real" HDR mode of the TV. I say that by only comparing with my eyes, so it's not very precise :)
    What is great is that these settings don't seem to affect non-HDR content.

I put 540 as brightness as it seems to be an average I've found in website that tested my TV LG OLED C6V.

I need to do more test to see what can be improved, probably by playing with the brightness and the HDR tone mapping.

Of course ideally, if we could disabled the HDR handling of Plex to send it to the TV untouched and the TV handle the HDR it would be better, but it doesn't seem to be possible for now.

Please keep us posted on how well its working in comparison to sending it to the tv untouched.

Well, currently I'm just able to test the 2 following possibilities:
    A. The default = no mpv.conf file
    4K HDR video is played, HDR not recognized by the TV and picture missing brightness.

B. with the mpv.conf mentioned previously.
    HDR is still not recognized but brightness is better.

In both cases I can also activate the "False HDR Effect" available in my TV that increase brightness and contrast even more. The result with B is not so bad.

What I would like to test but I dont't know how to is to be able to "Disable HDR handling" in Plex to see how it looks. Maybe it is a setting in the mpv.conf file too but I cannot find it.

Windows 10 64bits
    PMS and PMP
    LG OLED 65C6V
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Focal Dome 5.1 Speakers