Our forum migration to Discourse will be going on starting late today June 19 to 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post here for more information https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/319354/well-be-moving-the-forums-to-discourse-heres-the-scoop/
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Does PMP support HDR video playback?

Answers

• PottypotsworthPottypotsworth Posts: 136Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@vlang said:

Put them into a file named mpv.conf in the same directory as plexmediaplayer.conf.

I'd try:

target-prim=bt.2020
    target-trc=st2084

Generally, they should correspond to whatever your TV/GPU is set to.

Both on SDR and HDR displays, this should make the colors less bright and less saturated.

I tried these settings with HDR on and Open Gl, it just made my screen go full green, I had to power off the computer at the switch :/

• vlangvlang Posts: 1,648Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I tried these settings with HDR on and Open Gl, it just made my screen go full green, I had to power off the computer at the switch :/

Well, then try without OpenGL. What happens in OpenGL mode is basically up to the graphic drivers, and the behavior is not always nice.

Also when you do this, try with only the target-trc=st2084 line as well.

Basically, this should display HDR as-is, and SDR as HDR. (Think of it as up-conversion.)

Adjusting target-brightness might also be needed, e.g. target-brightness=100 (default is 250).

Not at Plex anymore. I'm not a Ninja either.

edited June 2017

@vlang said:

Well, then try without OpenGL. What happens in OpenGL mode is basically up to the graphic drivers, and the behavior is not always nice.

Also when you do this, try with only the target-trc=st2084 line as well.

Basically, this should display HDR as-is, and SDR as HDR. (Think of it as up-conversion.)

Adjusting target-brightness might also be needed, e.g. target-brightness=100 (default is 250).

Hey vlang,

These settings seem to have no affect on how PMP is handling HDR. The mpv.conf file reads...

target-trc=st2084
    target-brightness=100

and it is very clear that the HDR video is just being shown as it is normally and without enhanced colour.

edited June 2017

Also, just to muddy the waters further.

I found that the only way I can get Plex to play SDR content (with the HDR switch OFF, so "normal" viewing environment) without introducing any banding with my TV is to set the colour space to 4:2:0 12bit, upping this to 4:2:2 12bit introduces horrible banding. Strangely enough "Film and TV" along with Media Player Classic will happily play the content in 4:2:2 without banding, but Plex will not :/

Now the problem with 4:20 12bit is that whilst SDR content now looks great, with the HDR switch ON any SDR content plays like it has horrible artificating over the top of it.

It is like there is no way to get HDR and SDR content to play side by side in the correct manner without having to manually switch this stupid HDR Switch on and off manually each time.

• ced0072ced0072 Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I really think that currently we cannot have a unique setting that will work for both SDR and HDR.
    You have to find your best settings (PMP / GPU / TV) for SDR and HDR separately and then switch manually from one to the other.

Windows 10 64bits
    Core i7 4770K, 16G RAM, Asus GTX1060
    PMS and PMP
    LG OLED 65C6V
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Focal Dome 5.1 Speakers

edited June 2017

@ced0072 said:
    I really think that currently we cannot have a unique setting that will work for both SDR and HDR.
    You have to find your best settings (PMP / GPU / TV) for SDR and HDR separately and then switch manually from one to the other.

Which basically makes Plex as an all in one player solution redundant :( Because if i need to keep switching all this stuff around then I may as well just use the "Film and TV" app with the knowledge that it'll play HDR files correctly.

In my specific situation, i need Plex to do 2 things with Windows 10 in "HDR Mode/HDR Switch = "ON" and colour space 4:2:0 10/12bit
    1) Play the HDR file and send the metadata to the TV so that the enhanced colour is correct.
    2) Do not artifact SDR content

OR

Windows 10 in "HDR Mode/HDR Switch = "ON" and colour space 4:2:2 10/12bit...
    1) Play the HDR file and send the metadata to the TV so that the enhanced colour is correct.
    2) Do not introduce banding in SDR content

But 4:2:2 option is pretty much out of the question anyway because the banding is present with SDR content in Plex (but not other players) no matter if the HDR switch is on or off.

As i have mentioned before though, a lot of this is Microsoft's fault, there should be no need whatsoever to be having to manually select HDR mode on or off, it should just kick in when HDR content is detected inside a specific application. Which is exactly how it behaved for games (Resident Evil 7 etc) before the Creators update.

• vlangvlang Posts: 1,648Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

With target-trc=st2084, if HDR display works, SDR display should also work. But it looks like there is still something severely wrong.

with my TV is to set the colour space to 4:2:0 12bit, upping this to 4:2:2 12bit introduces horrible banding.

There must be something on the TV or on the GPU that fucks up big time, then. 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 at the same bit depths shouldn't change colors at all. It's likely whatever does the conversion goes through 8 bit internally.

Not at Plex anymore. I'm not a Ninja either.

I did test on my side I have no banding with SDR no matter I use 4:2:0 or 4:2:2, both 12bits.

Windows 10 64bits
    PMS and PMP
    LG OLED 65C6V
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Focal Dome 5.1 Speakers

edited June 2017

@ced0072 said:
    I did test on my side I have no banding with SDR no matter I use 4:2:0 or 4:2:2, both 12bits.

Hmm, which is interesting because you have a LG C6 and mine is an E6. You would perhaps expect the same behaviour :/

What "ICON" do you have set for your PC input btw, is it set to PC mode?

Thanks

@vlang said:

With target-trc=st2084, if HDR display works, SDR display should also work. But it looks like there is still something severely wrong.

with my TV is to set the colour space to 4:2:0 12bit, upping this to 4:2:2 12bit introduces horrible banding.

There must be something on the TV or on the GPU that fucks up big time, then. 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 at the same bit depths shouldn't change colors at all. It's likely whatever does the conversion goes through 8 bit internally.

So what are the next steps in terms of trying to get HDR to work? Just nothing we can do for now?

The odd thing about the 4:2:2 banding issue is that it is only in PMP or VLC. It is not present at all in Media Player Classic or the Film and TV App. If it was my TV or GPU, why would it only happen in certain software?

Thanks

@ced0072 said:

Do you have a video with Netflix intro? Try playing that and look at the way it fades. On 4:2:0 there is no stepping or banding at all, but on 4:2:2 there is slight banding/stepping.

I'll take a picture tomorrow to show the difference.

• PlaydancePlaydance Posts: 99Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

so would the NVIDIA Shield be a batter choice for playback of HDR ? does anyone have a experience running Plex on the Shield ?

@pottypotsworth : I will test with a netflix intro and let you know.
    @Playdance : Apparently the Shield is the best choice for now, specially with SPMC (Kodi) that handle HDR very well. But I'm optimistic for Windows 10 users, now that HDR is on its way, Plex will follow this year.... I mean, they have to :smile:

Windows 10 64bits
    PMS and PMP
    LG OLED 65C6V
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Focal Dome 5.1 Speakers

• GhostmGhostm Posts: 243Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ced0072 said:
    I see your point and this is exactly what I have, even in Windows 7, when "forcing" HDR mode like described above. It's completely over saturated except when playing a HDR movie of course.
    Then I manualy disable the HDR before switching back to a SDR movie.

This shouldnt work in windows 7 should it? I believe vlang said you have to set the desktop to hdr which is only on windows 10?

• GhostmGhostm Posts: 243Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@vlang said:
    Quite possible that the Windows compositor will just "reduce" the color of windows of normal applications. Anyway, I don't have a HDR TV, so I can only guess what Windows does.

Try the following:

• set the entire desktop to HDR mode (make sure your TV shows that input is HDR)
    • change PMP to native GL mode in the settings, fullscreen the PMP window
    • make sure the TV still shows that input is marked as HDR

At this point, the PMP interface should be bright and oversaturated, or something into this direction, because the PMP interface certainly has no HDR support yet.

If the issues get sorted with this i would be very happy with this solution, of course the pmp interface would desperately need hdr support as well, I dont know how difficult that would be though?

I am noticing more and more hdr content appearing. I would really love to play it back in pmp without sacrifices.

@Ghostm said:
    This shouldnt work in windows 7 should it? I believe vlang said you have to set the desktop to hdr which is only on windows 10?

Well, I use a tool provided by Nvidia that forces the TV to switch to HDR mode. It has to be activated manualy, before watching a HDR movie. I explain this here:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/258656/force-the-tv-to-switch-to-hdr-mode-on-a-pc-with-a-nvidia-gpu
    It's the best way I've found yet to play HDR on Windows 7 and Plex.

Windows 10 64bits
    PMS and PMP
    LG OLED 65C6V
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Focal Dome 5.1 Speakers

• PlaydancePlaydance Posts: 99Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ced0072 said:
    @pottypotsworth : I will test with a netflix intro and let you know.
    @Playdance : Apparently the Shield is the best choice for now, specially with SPMC (Kodi) that handle HDR very well. But I'm optimistic for Windows 10 users, now that HDR is on its way, Plex will follow this year.... I mean, they have to :smile:

i mean its not like i have a wealth of HDR files , i don't but it would be nice to have the support. :-)

Hey @vlang

Do forgive me for dragging up an old thread but more and more movies are being released with HDR now and it looks like there are two ways that HDR can work in a player in a post Windows 10 creators update world, one intended and one not.

Intended way:
    Switch Windows 10 display settings into HDR mode and this will constantly send a HDR signal to the TV even if no HDR content is present on the screen. The web is awash with people talking about how crappy, ridiculous, and nonsensical this implementation is and it seems the only reason this was implemented was so that windowed games/media players could output HDR content.

Unintended (old) way:
    So i was playing around with MadVR earlier today and could not for the life of me get MadVR with PotPlayer to correctly play a HDR file whilst Windows display was set to HDR. In the MadVR settings i had selected (pass through HDR to display) so it was super weird it wasn't working. Then it occurred to me that if Windows itself is already sending HDR data then perhaps the movie itself couldn't actually send its HDR meta data to the tv via MadVR passthrough. So i switched HDR mode off in Windows display and then reopened the movie in Potplayer with the MadVR render selected and sure enough when i went into full screen the display switched into HDR and the movie played in all its glorious deep colour. As soon as i exited fullscreen the display switched back to SDR as expected.

As mentioned above, the Windows HDR master switch implementation is universally accepted as the wrong way to do this as 90% of desktop content is SDR, but it seems to be that if we ignore this stupid switch and HDR metadata from the video file is passed through to the TV in fullscreen then it effectively switches the display and forces HDR to be played. Just like you see from a HDR bluray player, or Dolby Vision etc on Netflix.

So with that being said, could Plex not just go ahead and and try and pass the metadata in fullscreen regardless of the Windows HDR master switch being on?

Thanks, and please do let me know if i can test anything further on this.

Do you, @mattseeley perhaps have any thoughts on the above? I am not sure who in Plex is now responsible for the PMP playback engine? Thanks.

• stevenhastevenha Posts: 189Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Been playing around with this over the past few days in an effort to play my UHD HDR content and nothing seems to work.
    The same movie played in VLC v3 (BETA) is 100% better than any option I've found with plex.

It seems that the underlying mpv player doesn't support the options required for HDR playback.

There's a note https://mpv.io/manual/master/#options-target-trc

When using HDR output formats, mpv will encode to the specified curve but it will not set any HDMI flags or other signalling that might be required for the target device to correctly display the HDR signal. The user should independently guarantee this before using these signal formats for display.

This image doesn't due it justice, due to poor camera quality, but you get the idea
    4k HDR Plex vs VLC